Guitar Center Clearance sale Fender Excelsior for......

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dtermined2play, Jan 16, 2014.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Very cool amps.:D

2. figaro

figaro Tele-Meister

What are the differences in the build and components quality between the Ampeg GVT15-112 and the Excelsior?

3. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

I must've missed it because it says 399.99 for the brown one now. I've been looking around for a cheap practice amp and probably would've ordered it on the spot. It's too bad...

4. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Still available:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-...19937X773002X70091671edc615ef989c86a020f47e40

The brown one is the original with less efficient speaker and Chinese tubes (which seem fine so far). The pro models (pastel colors) have an upgraded speaker (much louder and tighter) and Groove tubes. Keep in mind, some folks who have had both styles still say the cheaper speaker sounds good. If you gig, you probably want the upgraded Legend speaker YMMV IMHO.

5. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

Mine has stock speaker it gigs just fine. Sounds great too

6. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don't get me wrong, I like the OEM speaker and plan to keep it, and have seen others say it gigs just fine. Just trying to highlight the distinction between the two models for him. I guess I should have said "you may want the upgraded speaker" :D

7. dtermined2play

dtermined2play Tele-Afflicted

I believe you have to add it to the cart to see the discounted price.

8. figaro

figaro Tele-Meister

So your list of better components are a plywood cabinet and a low rent "custom made" Celestion speaker?

I realize that it's your opinion that the Excelsior is not as good as the Ampeg amp but you said the Ampeg was better because of it's components... then you say the better components are the speaker and the cabinet??? Give me a break... :rolleyes:

9. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got no dog in this hunt, but I will say that MDF/particleboard construction scares the hell out of me. When I was still gigging I had a Laney 2x12 that was particleboard, and it took a good shot one night that blew a good sized chunk out of the corner. Even though I don't play out anymore, I still remember just how much damage was sustained by getting bumped hard, and I tend to still think like a working musician when I make my purchase decisions.

10. RedRock

RedRock Tele-Holic

There is a difference between MDF, particleboard,
    and plywood:

"Medium-density fibreboard (MDF) is an engineered wood product made by breaking down hardwood or softwood residuals into wood fibres, often in a defibrator, combining it with wax and a resin binder, and forming panels by applying high temperature and pressure. MDF is generally denser than plywood. It is made up of separated fibres, but can be used as a building material similar in application to plywood. It is stronger and much denser than particle board."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard

11. Frodebro

Moisture will swell MDF up just like particleboard, and it's tensile strength is better than particleboard but still much, much lower than plywood. For most people it's perfectly fine for guitar cabinetry, but if your gear gets moved around with any kind of regularity the risk factor goes up rapidly.

12. RedRock

RedRock Tele-Holic

Do you mean that a plywood cabinet is better than a MDF cabinet if a
    water pipe bursts on stage?

:)

13. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Comment on "you get what you pay for."

Quoting the sentiments from Hartley Peavey; "I don't think you always get what you pay for is universally correct."

You ever paid a high price for a concert ticket and the show sucked?

Have you ever spent a lot of money on a guitar cord and it breaks faster than a cheap one?

Have you ever spent a lot of money on headphones and they crap out as fast as a cheap set?

Have you ever eaten at an expensive restaurant and ...............then got
    diarrhea?

Have you ever. spent a lot on.......................................................and then got crabs?

Have you ever spent a lot of money on a ........and have it.......? etc

It happens.

14. Frodebro

Yes, or if somebody spills a beer on it, or if it gets banged into a doorway during a load-out...

Like I said, for most people it would never be a problem, BUT if you move your gear around a lot (or use it in questionable environments such as small bars) the risk of damage goes up rapidly. That risk is there regardless of the construction, but plywood (or solid wood) will withstand most day-to-day gigging wear-and-tear better than MDF.

15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Any truth to the rumor that MDF actually stands for M..ighty D..amn F..ragile?;)

16. Frodebro

Lots of truth there. I buy it by the sheet when I'm building jigs for my shop, so I'm VERY familiar with its strengths and weaknesses. It's great for templates and jigs because it's inexpensive, perfectly flat, and mills very nicely (aside from the VERY nasty dust it produces), but it's also quite brittle. If you drop a large enough piece, it will likely break apart.

17. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

Oh, that must be the problem. Thanks!

18. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

I can't comment on how the Fenex sounds at a certain gig with a certain guitar strummed by a certain player......yadayada.....lol
    IMO it is a great jam amp, practice amp, "Fender amp". It sounds like a Fender tube amp. It can do Fender "tube" cleans and pushed with a pedal, can do Fender "tube" overdrive tones. And it's cheap; I have the brown w/ Billm tone mod(very important), stock speaker, $200 or so....I have spent much more on other amps and been disappointed and sold quickly. This amp I will be keeping. If you've never heard/played w/ a 15" speaker, the sound is BIG. Especially if you're used to 8" or 10" amps. It's a blast...to me.
    If you bang it up or get it wet.......it will be damaged. But, it will still be a good value.

19. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

How does this compare to a Blues Jr.? Been considering a BJ NOS for home used and use a couple pedals, really like the fact that it has master volume. But even used it's like 400 and I was hoping to stay under 300 for my practice amp budget. The Excelsior is cheap and sounds good in demos, no MV but I do have some pedals and a Wampler Black 65 for cranked Fender sounds. It has tone controls so that gets around the Excelsiors lack of them. It's also from GC so I could return it to my local store if I didn't like it and put that money towards a BJ.

But tonally how do they compare?

20. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

The brownies are cool low-fi amps if you don't mind the "character" of the stock 15". To me the stock speaker sounds like a well-used vintage 50 watt Jensen 15--a bit farty and a bit wheezy/buzzy. The Pros do have the nicer and more efficient Eminence 1518 speaker. Oddly enough most of the speaker's quirks aren't audible offstage.

After selling off all my tube amps a couple of years ago, I bought an Excelsior because I needed a 1940s-style Gibson ar Valco amp tone, something Fender stuff doesn't do. Fat and thick are readily available. And I mic for gigs when I need more volume. Add a Boss GE-7 and you have tone controls and boost at your command. And this is a new amp, not something that is 60 years old likely needing a good going over by a good amp tech and won't cost your right kidney to buy.

It sure isn't for the masses but for a different type of tonal pattern it does a good job.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.