Guitar Center Clearance sale Fender Excelsior for......

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dtermined2play, Jan 16, 2014.

1. portsider

portsider Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Great thread! I had a lot of laughs going through it.
    FenEx, PS, 5f2a, 5e3, 5d4, 5e6a... Only thing is you gotta be a linguistics professor to understand it. ;)

2. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

You can buy those from Angela Instruments for 70 bucks. Then you can gut it and put a 5e5 Pro circuit in it and have a respectable, toneful, and very heavy amp.:lol:

3. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Indeed!

http://angela.com/fenderceramicmagnet15vibroverbspeaker.aspx

And you can put it in your stock-circuit FenEX covered with aged tweed and play it at huge sold-out concerts as rock legend Mike Campbell does :D

4. fezz parka

A turd is a turd, even if you're Mike Campbell. There are some guitarists that love to eff with people. Mike's one of them. Gibbons is another.
    At least it's surrounded (outnumbered) by a BF Princeton and a wide panel Deluxe. I kinda say his line of thinking: a 10, a 12, and a 15.

TNO describes it as thin and fizzy. Spot on. In a band situation, at volume, this is exactly the sound it made. :lol:

5. tap4154

Brownie, or pro model with better speaker? We don't know what mods TNO made. Perhaps they weren't beneficial?

I have no doubt that the stock speaker in the brownie won't hold up at volume with amps like yours. For my needs it's fine, but were I in a band like rock legend Mike Campbell, it seems a speaker upgrade is all it needs...

6. fezz parka

It's a living room amp. I get it. You love it. If it grooves for you in the living room, then rawk on.

TNO knows amps really well, BTW. He's been doing this stuff a long time.

IMO, these amps (Excelsior, Ramparte, Vaporub) are toys. For playing around on the living room floor. Like Legos. Or Hot Wheels. :lol:

7. tap4154

So by your diversion I assume it was the stock brownie speaker, which really isn't a fair comparison to your 5e3 with a much better Jensen speaker...

And now you're slamming Hot Wheels & Legos? :twisted:

8. tap4154

Interesting... the $399 Excelsior Pro listed at Music Zoo has the very same speaker as Campbell's amp. I guess it's a Legend with a different sticker, and same Fender Vibroverb speaker listed at Angela?

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/...Special-Excelsior-Pro-Combo-Guitar-Amplifier/

Originally, rock legend and tone hound Mike Campbell was seen playing a surf green Exy Pro on stage, then I guess he loved it so much that he had Fender make him an aged tweed version, but it's basically just a stock $399 Exy Pro.

9. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Mike Schulz Artist Relations Manager at Fender had the Excelsior recovered for him, by suggestion from a member of the band (not sure if it was Tom or who). The water mark from the glass is intentional and the cigarette burn is a salute to Campbell's guitar tech, Steve Winstead.

10. figaro

figaro Tele-Meister

I'm not sure of your reason for calling the Excelsior a "toy", so I'm assuming it's because of it's low price. If it's not because of the price, is there an amp that you don't consider a toy that you can buy for $199 to $299 brand new? If it is because of the price, there have been other inexpensive amps over the years like Supros, Silvertones, small tweed Fenders and Gibsons, etc... Those amps have been used on thousands of very famous recordings and also live gigs. Those amps were also inexpensive, but I wouldn't call them toys.

11. fezz parka

Not price. Quality of the build and components. All the ones you mention, with the exception of some of the cardboard Silvertone amps (and they sound fine, just don't get them wet!), have excellent build quality and components.

12. figaro

figaro Tele-Meister

I will ask again... If it's not because of the price, is there an amp that you don't consider a toy that you can buy for $199 to $299 brand new?

13. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

14. fezz parka

IMO, no. You get what you pay for. I bought a Champ 600 for 99 bucks. I gutted it, and built a 5f1 in it and a '56 Jensen P6T. As it sat, it was a cheesebag toy, a sheep in wolf's clothing. A novelty. That's what these pawnshop amps are. Novelties. YMMV.

I do like the Jet City stuff. It's well made, sounds good. Components are well spec'd out, build quality is good even though it's MIC. I've used JC's as venue supplied backline, and they delivered.

15. tap4154

16. figaro

figaro Tele-Meister

Are there any other "low budget" amps you like other than the Jet City?

17. fezz parka

Those recent Ampeg GVT15-112 are interesting and decent sounding. They were on sale for a bit, but now they're up around 400 bucks.

18. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I like toys, give me some Hot Wheels and i could be entertained for hours. ;) I'm not trying to put words in Fezz's mouth, but its not the price of the pawnshop amps that is the issue. I have a C600 that Boothill modded into a 5F1. Its much cheaper to go that route then it is to have Victoria build me one. When you can build them yourself and spec your own parts the price comes down even quicker and for less then a $200 Excelsior.

If the Excelsiors come down to the $150, I would probably buy one, gut it, and turn it into a Head. I think at $200 its a good buy but I don't need a large clunky amp sitting around.

I think the GRETA is a killer amp played through the right speaker. It also helps if you have a pedal in front of it to brighten it up. But I got more then $100 worth of entertainment out of it.

19. tap4154

Hey Fezz, a fun experiment next time you see your buddy with the stock brownie FenEx: Grab a couple audio extension cords and plug his cheap OEM speaker into your 5e3, and your nice Jensen into his FenEx. Post results in a video, complete with your great expletive-laced narration :D

20. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I got a GVT5-110 for Christmas. On full power it isn't ridiculously loud, and on half power it's a good living room amp, and clean as can be. I love it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.