Guitar Center Clearance sale Fender Excelsior for......

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dtermined2play, Jan 16, 2014.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Nope, I have great amps:

• 5f2a - in a Blues Jr. cab with a 12 Red Fang.
    • 5e3 - with a '59 Jensen P12Q.
    • 5d4 - Special cab with a 10 and a 12.
    • 5e6a - 4x10 50's P10Rs.

I prefer an amp that has a more direct route to the speaker so as far as the tremolo goes, I'd rather use a wiggle box.
    I'm sure that some people will have fun with them. It is an attractive package, but as far as the innards go, I'd gut it. :lol:

2. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, with that great stable, you're not who they're marketing to. It's an inexpensive dual 6V6 tube amp with a pretty damn nice tone, swampy tremolo, and cheap but nice sounding 15" speaker (easily upgradeable) -- now selling for 2 bills -- how HORRIBLE of Fender to impose this ATROCITY on us! :D

BTW, I think the tremolo is out of the circuit when turned off (it clicks off).

3. fezz parka

Pretty damn nice tone is subjective. In a live situation volume at, playing my '65 Strat through it, I found it completely...ordinary. Of course that's just my subjective opinion. I know Mike Campbell supposedly uses one along side others, but who knows what's been done to it.

4. tap4154

IMO you'd probably want an upgraded speaker in a loud band situation. If you played the guitar input with tone bright, it's another animal played though the accordion input on dark. They do break up lo-fi as well, so it would get mushy and lost next to a loud TR.

I'm sure Campbell's FenEx has a great upgraded speaker, but it seems I read somewhere that it was basically stock other than the speaker, and tweed covering.

[​IMG]

5. fezz parka

It was being played along with my 5e3, not a TR.

Do you honestly think I'm such a noob that I didn't try different inputs and "settings"?:lol:

6. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i like my EX, took a while to break the speakerin. but wellworth it,

also i found my greta starting to sound better as it ages. odd. all iv done with both amps is replace V1 with a NOS or NIB who knows for sure when dealing with ebay. mallard made in blackfeild englind i think. i did go down from the 12x to a u7. cheers, still considering buildings nice box for the greta and a 10" speaker. but health has not allowed. only complaints i have with the greta is the no USB ports since i have it sitting on top of a monitor on my desktop and was advertised as a desktop amp, o yeah who was the bright guy to put the on/off toggle in the back.. pain literally to stand up to turn it on i feel my ARTIFICIAL KNEE CREEK EVERY TIME. SPPOKY, LAUGHS.... . would of been nice to add least dirct record to pc. o well, i paid 85 bucks, plus 15 for the tube. i almost died last month,so i just live day to day as my health gets worse would love to find a teacher, but living in no mans land, ill never get good. but i still try and practice every day depending how much pain im in. working on things a teacher would be wasting time with. yeah finger dexterity, getting closer and closer to barely having to lift my fingers of the string. and i already have all the notes mastered on the fretboard ( that made me feel like i was getting a little better, i do need a better metronome my old school pyramid style one just aint cutting it ant more even tho it old 1920s with real walnut *shock* and the gears etc and spring will out last any battery). now im rambling for 200.00 if i had the money id buy one just to try to play in stereo. never done that. but i have a envelope for a MitchX amp. on disability, i do not get much money so i may as well be homeless, but i put a buck in the envelope here and there.. and i hope this year ill have the money to have him build me the amp we have been talking about. at least i know the direction im i going tone wise. jazz and psychedelic. as a chronic pain patient and pain changes the brain process of thought this makes sense i would end up going this direction. i hope everyone enjoy there brown EX. i salute the knights of the world. sir. chris.

7. tap4154

8. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wonder who he got to relic it? :D

Man I would love to see his side project - The Dirty Knobs - but they only play in Socal. I think his son plays with him as well.

9. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

what speaker did he upgrade to can anyone tell?
    chris,

10. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Kind of interesting it is a Fender.
    An old one I guess. Mojo. Like the album.

11. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

yeah or coulc be a sticker slapped on to fool us all. laughs. just joking.

i did a quick search does not look like fender used to many 15" speakers.

looks like it has a cap on it, who knows maybe a d130F? i think thats the 15" model while everyone wants the 120f, iv seen people asking 300.00 for a single 120. seems like a hope no one paid that kind of money. you could get a modern speaker that probably blow it out of the water. id hope speaker technology has improved since then. lauhs,
    but then it seems guitar players do not like change,]chris,

12. tap4154

I can't find any 15" gold/brown label Fender speakers either. Looks like a 15" version of the V1030.

Actually, looking at this closer, it may well be a D130 clone made for Fender in 8 ohms, with a brown gold/brown label stuck on it.

[​IMG]

BTW very sorry about your health problems. Hope things improve for you.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  13. dtermined2play

dtermined2play Tele-Afflicted

Local GC did not have any in stock. I did go by Yellowmama and they had one and are willing to price match. I played it for about 30 mins. It sounded nice enough, but not sure if am comlpetely hooked on it. It would be loud enough for what I do but not completely sure. I did pick up a Tascam Digital recorder for 69.00 bucks while I was at GC. I hope it records better than my I phone.

14. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

Looks like the speaker in my Vibroverb Custom '64

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Hmmmmmmm, GC clearing out the big Pawn Shop Amp ...

just before NAMM?

Hmmmmmmm ... makes you wonder, eh?

16. tap4154

D2P, if it isn't what you need, pass.

On the other hand, I'm loving mine more and more -- but I'm using it as a home amp.

Plugged straight in, it's to DIE for at lower volumes. Add some slow tremolo... ahhh

Turn up a bit more but play with a light touch... it's VERY touch sensitive.

The 96 db OEM speaker is perfect, for me. Put the higher db Legend (or better) in, I have to imagine it would soar.

YMMV, JFYI, IMHO etc. :D

17. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I did a speaker upgrade and some component and tube swaps to mine and it was still a thin, shrill-sounding thing that weighed way too much. Waste of time and money.

18. tap4154

Yeah... 33 lbs, about 10 more lbs than a Champ.

Shrill?

Oh well...

I'm not selling them.

Just enjoying.

19. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Curious........What component swaps did you do?

20. tap4154

That's it!

[​IMG]

Put one of those in a brownie FenEx and let Fezz and GB try it out :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.