Guitar Center and vacuum stores

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telegator, Dec 9, 2015.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

A vintage pickup? Leaves dirt on the floor? Or a HOT pickup - more Tone!

I can see one of you guys making a great song out of this topic. We should hear it!

2. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

When gigging with a Vacuum do you bring a backup or just carry a couple extra belts?

3. DerekMcTele

DerekMcTele Tele-Meister

My local tech put the true bypass switch on my MIM Hoover and it blows away every custom shop model I have ever used. He also professionally scalloped the handle so it is worth a ton on Craigslist right now.

I would never sell it except I need the money to finance another vacuum project.

4. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Maybe if they could hang cars on a wall that way it would be easier to shop for a car.:lol:

5. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Maple or rosewood handle?

6. DerekMcTele

DerekMcTele Tele-Meister

Ebony

7. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Our local shop had one, but I'm kind of a snob. I want my relic to be honest. In another 10 years my Miele's gonna have mojo that the wall model just couldn't touch.

What I really love about the thing, though - it just really comes into its own when it's cranked up ALL THE WAY. Even my wife has commented on how she loves the sound.

8. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

Would the Telecaster be considered the Shop-Vac of guitars and the PRS a Dyson?

9. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I have a couple of beautifully relic'd vacuum cleaners I will sell you, but they ain't cheap! The relic'ing is authentic mojo/wear and tear!

10. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

For some reason, I'm the same way!

If I go in just looking, I will have every single salesman AND the manager come up and ask to help me.

If I go in with a smoking credit card in my pocket ready to buy some big ticket item, I might as well be invisible!

I actually showed my ass one day in a Sam Ash!

I went in intending to buy a guitar for my favorite niece, and you guessed it!

It was like I wasn't even there!

People were walking up behind me and salesmen were actually looking over my shoulder past me and greeting them!

I finally had enough and shouted as loud as I could.

"HEY! AM I F**CKING INVISIBLE HERE OR WHAT!"

You could have heard a pin drop!

One guy started to say something and I pointed at him and screamed "YOU! I WANT THE MANAGER OVER HERE...NOW!"

So he shows up and asks whats the matter?

I told him "I've been here almost 30 minutes clearly looking at guitars, and not one person has acknowledged that I exist! Do you want to sell one of those Strats from the sales flyer or not?"

To make a short story long, they didn't have the one I wanted in stock, so they called the other store about 15 miles away and sent one of their super salesmen over there in the managers car to get me one.

I'm normally one of the lowest profile guys you]ll ever know, but something that day just flipped my switch!

11. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

Like to relic my own through use.
    Not updating this Constellation to a 3 prong plug.

[​IMG]

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Just as long as you don't use HEPA filters. HEPA filters have no soul, not like the original pleated paper filters.

13. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

See, when you said you "showed your ass" I was waiting to hear a story about that. I've contemplated it when I feel invisible in a retail setting.

Sometimes I think to myself "maybe I really AM invisible... Hmmm. What would be the ultimate test of that?"

I always chicken out and just grab somebody and ask if they can see me, like I'm a ghost. It confuses them and entertains me. But one of these days, I'm dropping my pants.

14. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Great story!

15. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice!

I just walk out. I can just keep my money.

16. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Looking to replace the vintage belt in our vacuum right now. Hoping to find one of the 1980's Russian surplus ones that squeals when first hitting the carpet from the hardwood floor.

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ah, GC.
    I was once a minion, in 2004.
    I did 9 months.
    Worst company I ever worked for.
    They treat their employees very badly.
    These days, they are probably even happy to have "tire kickers" in the stores.
    Kinda lonely in the two here, even on weekends.

18. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

You are only truly invisible when you reach that certain age when walking through the mall, not one single woman under the age of 30 looks at you.

19. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I worked for them a little in the mid 90's. It used to be awesome. So did the company. It was hard work, but it was also a LOAD of fun, and everybody was great people, from Marty all the way down the FNG.

The first nail in the coffin was when they went public. Loads of stuff changed overnight. A highly successful company run by musicians for musicians changed their formula to make a bunch of white collar stock holders buy in. It wasn't a positive change. For employees or customers.

Then it went back private, and Marty and the other founders sold the company. I don't blame them. They put their whole lives into it for decades. They weren't going to do it forever. But it went from being a privately held music company, to a publicly held commodity, to a corporate entity. All downhill. And then Bain came in. Ouch.

It's sad that not many people remember what a fantastic place it used to be to shop and work. It was like the ultimate candy store, with happy circus people on the floor.

Real musicians even used to work there. It was hard to find a single employee that wasn't a seriously great player. Our accessories manager was actively on Shrapnel Records for crying out loud.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  20. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Try walking up to the counter, or to a salesman, and saying, "Hi. I'm interested in a particular guitar. Can you get it down for me?" Or something like that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.