Guitar (Case) Storage

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Unionjack515, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

I was a busy man today on a “work from home” day. I’ve been getting heat from the Mrs. about how much room my cases are taking up in a couple closets and in my music room. So I decided to hit Home Depot and get some shelves for my basement.

I had put some time in over the past week surveying the relative humidity and temperature in a few spots around the house. The music room (humidity controlled) stays at around 40% constantly and about 70 degrees. The closet I was keeping my cases (some with guitars inside) stays at about 35% humidity and 70 degrees. The basement stays at 32-35% humidity and 68 degrees. So the differences between the closet and basement are pretty much negligible.

I found these great sturdy units ($169 each) which, the way they’re currently configured, can each fit about 13 cases along with storage for other stuff (amps, storage containers of effects and original boxes for things currently on my board) above and below. When all is said and done this calendar year, I’ll have 26 guitars, so hopefully I can get them all to fit. Otherwise having a case or two in my music room isn’t the end of the world.

I think my next investments are covers for the two uncovered amps. The Studio Slip that came with the Bartel Sugarland is just too nice and I don’t like the other two being so exposed.

Productive day!

upload_2020-1-22_22-20-46.jpeg

moosie, Toadtele, Matthias and 6 others like this.
  2. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

You’re lucky! My basement is dirt floor (1760 colonial). Would love to be able to utilize the space that way.

Steve Holt and Unionjack515 like this.
  3. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I need to do that...but I'd have to dig a basement first---really miss having a basement. Those are great shelves...I have the next step down and they are tough as nails (as long as the shelves don't get wet:oops:).

Unionjack515 likes this.
  4. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I need to tidy mine up a little;

upload_2020-1-23_15-8-48.jpeg

Mr. Neutron and Unionjack515 like this.
  5. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

I’d be curious to hear how the lack of concrete foundation affects humidity in there. Maybe pavers?

6. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Damn I sure HOPE the shelves don’t get wet!!

7. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

That’s about what at least one closet looked like before this organization spurt. There’s hope!

8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It's a problem for sure. My shop is not heated in the winter, so reluctant. Not enough room in the house. I've been toying with an idea of a large diameter PVC pipe rack for cases inside the office here. Maybe 1.5-2" diameter pipe, with T fittings and elbows. 2 tier. Otherwise it's the stack like "bettyseldest" has there.... But man, the PVC version is a ton of fittings and work when you look at it...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  9. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Would need to french drain the whole thing. Already run a sump and in the spring through fall I run a dehumidifier. Otherwise it’s exceedingly humid.

10. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Really? That looks straight out of a Norm’s guitar video from their warehouse. Looks great!

Unionjack515 likes this.
  11. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

I’ll take it! Maybe I’ll start doing “Guitar of the Day” videos...I could last a couple weeks haha. Agnesi might yell at me for how much my Collings 290 looks like a LP Jr though....

Hiker likes this.
  12. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yeah, basements are good. I don’t have one now so my garage is a mess. We had an 1857 house in Ohio, with dirt floor and sandstone walls in the oldest part of the basement. That’s where the steam boiler was. I didn’t store anything in that part. A dehumidifier was a must. I sure do miss that house...

Unionjack515 likes this.
  13. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I scoped my utility room and I can squeeze in one more big set of shelves. If I put cases up top, I might actually clear my clothes closet.

Unionjack515 likes this.
  14. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Case storage has been a 'topic of discussion' betwixt me and the better half ever since we moved into our new home. It also has no basement.

We still have no good solution.

Funny thing was when she bought me a new guitar for my birthday the other day, I was damn sure getting the gig bag that came with the guitar! And she rolled her eyes and gave me grief about how many cases there already were... LOL

15. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

All mine are stuffed in a crawl space. Have been for years. I’ve worried about them for years as well.
    It’s nice for a crawl space. Well lit. Carpeted. Moderate temp and humidity. But one broken pipe and I’m out thousands.

16. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Lol. When we moved out of our first apartment and into the house we own now, my wife couldn’t believe how much stuff I could squirrel away in closets.

Axis29 and Hiker like this.
  17. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

Why are you storing penises on metal shelving?

schmee and Unionjack515 like this.
  18. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

Between our garage and my studio room closest all cases are safe and sound.

19. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We don't have a basement. Our house is a two story raised ranch with the ground floor slab 3 ft below ground level. The main house is upstairs. I've slowly co-opted most of the lower level. I converted my half of the garage-under into a full woodworking shop. Just a few steps away is a bathroom, and sink for all kinds of dirty shop needs. Few steps further, and I have a small sitting room, which is where I store my guitars, in their cases. Humidity is 45% in winter, 55% in summer. Temp is always between 64 and 68.

The music room is just off the sitting room, and that's where the stacks of amplifiers are, along with a workbench for guitars and amps, and a desk with computer.

I *love* the idea of those racks, but actually it wouldn't save me any space. I've thought a couple times about making a double-decker thing, with shelves deep and high enough to take cases on edge, headstock in. But that would come out into the room by another two feet, at least.

We're not the only ones with these troubles. I remember watching one of those documentaries about Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead. He was at home, today, digging out his old favorite early 60s 335 (or was it 345?). Place of honor? Nope. Stuffed really tight in a teeny triangular crawlspace under the roof.

20200125_215202.jpg

Unionjack515 likes this.
  20. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

That, my thing. Organizing stuff in closets. Fill those holes. Call me a packrat. :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.