Guitar case hardware

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mefgames, Aug 12, 2019.

1. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Anyone have good source for guitar case hardware, ie hinges latches, corners, and handles ?

LeftFinger likes this.
  2. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

+1

3. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Meister

I have brought a case to a luggage repair guy and he replaced a latch.

coloradojeff likes this.
  4. LuckyJinx

LuckyJinx TDPRI Member

I would like to know, as well. I'm thinking of ordering some stuff off amazon. Not guitar case specific, just usual diy box building hardware. If there is some specifically designed hardware I'd probably want to use that instead.

5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I have a ton of latches, handles, cabinet corners etc for cabinets. Draw latches (that draw the sides together as you close them) too. The small latches are black not chrome though, but are like guitar case latches. I just put some stuff on Ebay after sitting for years.
    Anyway, I will make you bargains outside of Ebay if there is anything you want. Just a few:
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=183912043299
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=183912023103
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=183912020491

MattMrdck likes this.
  6. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

7. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

8. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

I've bought a few things on Amazon and also at my local woodworking shop (The Woodsmith Store). Rockler carries a few things, but they are generally pricey.

I recommend three draw latches at the front and try to put the handle at the center of gravity.
    On this one I used 90 degree stop hinges which don't work great because they stop the lid a few degrees too early and it sometimes flops down.

Also be aware that vinyl/Tolex can be heavy, and adds some serious weight, esp. when the guitar is an LP.

IMG_20181127_185924.jpg IMG_20181127_185941.jpg

Steveinthesticks likes this.
  9. mefgames

That looks great !!!

Mr_Q likes this.
  10. mefgames

Started the woodworking part of the case. I need to find foam, hardware and covering. Still working out the neck support/compartments.

IMG_7631.jpg IMG_7633.JPG

11. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Got a 80’s Fender AVRI case with both click in latches broken.

Hunted for years for latches and instuction on how to fix. The case will likely never leave the house but the broken bits are an irritant.

12. Old duck

Old duck Tele-Meister

13. eMGee

eMGee Friend of Leo's

G&G Cases, makers of Fender's tweed and telex cases, has parts for sale on their website.

I've had to replace missing or broken latches on a few cases -- not too hard to do.

MattMrdck and LeftFinger like this.
  14. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

mefgames .... Might be pricey but why not try SKB themselves, for quality parts?

Reason for saying that is they do great customer support .... A while back the TSA lock on my Strat case snapped ...Strat and Case are 2011 btw
    Case is the Fender Moulded one by SKB.

Got in touch with SKB (Europe) asking how much to buy ...their reply ... No charge, lifetime guarantee, 2 days later part arrived from, in my case ('scuse the pun) , Holland. :cool:

MattMrdck likes this.
  15. LuckyJinx

LuckyJinx TDPRI Member

I was wondering what the advantage is for 3 latches (or, in other words, what problems would I have if I just put two latches on there). Could you ellaborate?

I'm also considering a couple sections of piano hinge (or maybe even piano hinge all along the back). Do you have any experience with that?

16. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

If you are replacing parts for old cases look on ebay but not for guitar case hardware it is mostly modern cheap Chinese rubbish, use the search (Vintage Suitcases) there are thousands of old suitcases from the early 50's 60's remove handles stop hinges original cheney locks from these battered old things

If you are making cases from scratch this company has all the hardware you will need locks, handles ,stop hinges etc etc
    https://hardwareelf.com/

Mr_Q and MattMrdck like this.
  17. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

Redundancy. Assume at some point that one latch will fail, or maybe just slip. I'd rather have two others holding the guitar in the case. It's the old "two is one and one is none" theory.

Piano hinge should be fine if it's beefy enough. If you're planning multiple piano hinges, just go full length. There's no reason it cut it up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.