Guitar cable ?

kafka

Friend of Leo's
I have a couple of Fender cloth covereds that I use now. I like the weight, and the rubber jack strain seems to last.

I'm not picky about cables. Actually, I prefer cheaper ones. A little capacitance and HF rolloff doesn't hurt. I'm good as long as the jack doesn't get futzy.

zeppelinofled69

Tele-Holic
Fenders are fine, they're as good as other cables at the same price. Which is not cheap, I just checked, and prices have gone up a couple notches. If you don't feel like making your own, I guess you're looking at $50 or so for average-quality cables, yikes.

Making your own cables is the way to go if you can.

Buy what you need (or more, cause it's cheaper in bulk) of something like Mogami 2524 (84 cents per foot) and a handful of 1/4" plugs from Amphenol (or Neutrik if you wanna splurge) and you'll have the same thing that Mogami charges a small fortune for. You also only pay for the cable by the foot instead of the seeming exponential increase in price of premade cables as they get longer.

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's
What happened to the Fulltone, necessitating its replacement?

My big, phat foot got in the way. It got tangled in the cord & pulled the jack outta sorts. It still works, but intermittently. I tried to take it apart, cut out the offending part & solder the wires back on the plug, but no dice. Extreme ground hum. :(

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Mogami Gold. Why? It’s exceptionally well shielded so it doesn’t act like a RF antenna and it simply hasn’t failed. I have a 10’ with an angled connector into my equalizer and a straight connector for my guitars. It’s pricey but money well spent.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
My big, phat foot got in the way. It got tangled in the cord & pulled the jack outta sorts. It still works, but intermittently. I tried to take it apart, cut out the offending part & solder the wires back on the plug, but no dice. Extreme ground hum. :(
Just by a new plug. Maybe a piece of shrink wrap to reinforce it after soldering it on. Easy peasy and less than $10.

LutherBurger

Poster Extraordinaire
Making your own cables is the way to go if you can.

Buy what you need (or more, cause it's cheaper in bulk) of something like Mogami 2524 (84 cents per foot) and a handful of 1/4" plugs from Amphenol (or Neutrik if you wanna splurge) and you'll have the same thing that Mogami charges a small fortune for. You also only pay for the cable by the foot instead of the seeming exponential increase in price of premade cables as they get longer.
I recently made my own "Mogami Gold" cable with 2524 wire and Neutrik plugs. The total cost was about $20 and the components were a pleasure to work with: very easy to prepare, assemble, and solder.

And it sounds just as good as my $12 Fender cables! :D

watercaster

Tele-Meister
I have half dozen Fultone 90 degree cables. Love'em. Their 90 fits a tele recessed cup perfectly.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I second rattlesnake cables. Quality product and nice people. Made in USA.
Last one I ordered (true story) I placed the order online Saturday about 4PM central time. It was in my mailbox on Monday. That’s basically time travel. They are made to order and tested, packed, shipped. From MT to Austin all in fewer than 48 hours over a weekend. Blown away.

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's
I went to my local GC & came home with this & it works just fine.

20211222_152146.jpg

Last edited:

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I tried to take it apart, cut out the offending part & solder the wires back on the plug, but no dice. Extreme ground hum. :(

I'd try again with a new plug. But it sounds like you've already solved the proximate issue, so you can take your time.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Mogami Gold. Why? It’s exceptionally well shielded so it doesn’t act like a RF antenna and it simply hasn’t failed. I have a 10’ with an angled connector into my equalizer and a straight connector for my guitars. It’s pricey but money well spent.

+1 to this. I had the opportunity to spend up on cables a while back and bought Mogami Golds. I've now had them for years, with zero issues. Quality is top shelf, and they've taken a beating.