Guitar Cable Doesn't Snap Firmly Into Input...Help!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by SpiderWeb, Jun 20, 2011.

1. SpiderWeb

SpiderWeb Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure that I am explaining this effectively, but it seems that my guitar cables fit very loosely into the Telecaster input. Maybe loose isn't the correct term. The cable doesn't wiggle or anything, but I don't get a nice firm snap. The cable is very easy to pull out and to put in. Some cables seem to snap in more firmly than others, but they all seem way to easy to remove. The guitar is relatively new. I have not actually pulled it out while playing yet, but it feels like it could easily happen. Am I describing the normal situation or could there be something wrong with the input jack of my guitar?

2. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Knowing the model of guitar will help determine what you've already got in there. My bet is that the most common recommendation will be to replace whatever is in there now with a Switchcraft jack.

3. drf64

drf64 Doctor of Teleocity

This is common. Your jack tip needs to be angled down a bit. You will need to either take the control plate off and get to it through the route and bend it a little if it's a traditional cup jack or unscrew it from the external mount if it's an electrosocket.

dan

4. piece of ash

piece of ash Friend of Leo's

Check your cable. Compare the location of the groove around the tip to other plugs...

Despite the the 1/4" phone jack dating back some hundred years... some manufacturers still choose to screw it up!

5. SpiderWeb

I checked the cables they all look the same. I don't know what the model of the jack is, but the guitar is a Fender Custom Shop Telecaster. The "Certificate of Authenticity" says that it was manufactured 7/22/10. I'm totally inept with tools and actually I have no tools to start taking things apart. I guess I need to go to my local guitar shop. The sad thing is they don't strike me as having the ability to fix it or replace the jack either...damn!

6. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Is it a right angled plug?

This issue is common with right angle plugs and Telecaster jack socket cups because the angled body on the plug hits the edge of the guitar before the plug is fully engaged.

If the above is the problem the solution is

A Use a straight plug
    B Use a different rt angle plug. Some Neutrik plugs have a longer shaft.
    C Change the stupid obsolete design tele input cup and socket for a functional electrosocket and switchcraft jack.

7. SpiderWeb

One of the cables is a Fender Custom Shop Cable that came with the guitar. It has straight plugs and fits the best of the four that I have. The other cables that I have are premium Zaolla Cables that I got for my Taylor acoustic/electric guitars. The straight plugs on the Zaolla's (I have three of them) work fine with the Taylors, but they seem to slide much too easily in and out of the Telecaster input socket. The right-angled plugs that I have on two of the Zaolla's do not insert into the Telecaster at all...I bought the guitar from Elderly, I don't feel like sending it back for this...but I guess that I might have to...

8. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

^^^^^^
    The problem is not with your cables but with the input jack and since the guitar is a Fender custom shop I am guessing it is a good quality Switchcraft or equivalent. drf64's reply at post #3 provides the solution. The jack probably only needs this simple adjustment and not replacement.

This is a 5 minute (at most) job that should be within the capabilities of any local technician.

9. SpiderWeb

Thank you very much...I have been doing some research and I have a better idea of the parts that are involved. I'll definitely have to find somebody to make the adjustment. Around here there aren't a lot of guitar technicians. I wish that I knew what kind of jack is in there...

10. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

It's almost certainly a Switchcraft jack socket and looks like this...

[​IMG]

Now, see that piece at the upper right of the photo? It makes contact with the tip of your jack plug. That piece is made of a fairly springy steel, but it can get bent. All it needs is to be bent back in towards the jack tip to make a more positive connection. It would take 5 mins max to fish the socket back out through the control route, bend it a little then put it back.

11. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

Nice set up. Needle nose pliers would fix it right up.

12. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

I also had this similar problem and took a socket wrench and GENTLY tightened the nut (seen in KevinB's photo at the lower left) a tad. This pulled the jack down a smidge which was enough to give positive contact. *CLICK* is a nice sound.

13. 6thave

6thave TDPRI Member

I also did the same once or twice. I actually keep a craftsman 1/2" socket in my tele case to tighten the input jack if/when it gets loose.

14. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

to SpiderWeb
    find a good luthier in your erea and have Im look at it should be an e.z. fix, and dont let Im run a big bill it's a 5 minute job after all...lol

15. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Time for a good setup.

16. SpiderWeb

Thanks to those of you who responded above. Your pictures and descriptions helped me to understand the problem. Initially I was a little worried. However, I did find a good luthier. I had no idea I had such a craftsman so close to me. I discovered him by going through Fender. He is an authorized technician for Fender, Taylor, Martin etc. He fixes guitars by appointment only. He confirmed that my guitar was properly set-up, and fixed me right up with a new Switchcraft jack at a very reasonable price. Everything works great. In addition, he taught me a great deal about the components of my guitar, why they were matched, and how it was put together. Now I'm considering taking my Taylors to him to get bone nuts and saddles...that's for a future thread. Thanks again!

17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

"I had no idea I had such a craftsman so close to me."

Isn't that a wonderful thing? I am so happy that I discovered a local repair/mod guy, just a couple miles from where I live, who is very talented and does excellent work very a very reasonable cost.

18. rolling56

rolling56 Friend of Leo's

He charged you to fix it? I figured it was still under warranty......

19. Zenzeypher

Zenzeypher Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't of thought you would of needed a new jack, Id agree bending the piece of mental should of solved it, ive done it on a few guitars over the years...especially some older ones.

20. SpiderWeb

He said that it wasn't covered under warranty. I took his word for it. Since it was such a small thing I just wanted it fixed with the least amount of hassle. He offered to bend it and have it done in fifteen minutes, but I opted for a new jack. I thought that that was the best option.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.