Guitar cable capacitance -- how much is too much?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by King Fan, Jul 25, 2020.

1. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Holic

It's wheatstone bridge time.....Ha, ha.

2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

"What do you mean... an African or European swallow?"

:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    tubegeek likes this.
  3. larsjm

larsjm TDPRI Member

Nevermind...

ThermionicScott and tubegeek like this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

When I was researching which curly cord had the most awesome toanz I discovered that the vintage Marshall cane grill cloth high end rolloff was smoother, creamier and more flutey than any of the boutique or vintage coily cables.
    A yard of can grill cloth costs about the same as a good coily cable, and this seller is having a sale so the price is lower and might be your best value!

https://vintagestuffplus.com/products/marshall-cane-grill-cloth-58-width

Hard to swap grill cloth though, and note that cane is really hard work to stretch onto a baffle evenly, so if you want to A/B cane vs whatever you now use that isn't creamy enough, you'll need to buy twoi cabs and load them with consecutive manufacture speakers to ensure a scientifically legit comparison.

The sweet highs cane delivers is really to die for though, so it's worth all the expense and effort.

"Highs" as a description of collective tone would really be singular, right?
    Never trust tech talk delivered with poor semantics!

aging_rocker likes this.
  5. fernando

fernando Tele-Afflicted

I see there is an even lower capacitance cable available: Sommer Cable "Colonel Incredible", 41pF per meter (2,40€/m in Europe)

My low cap. cables have 166pF/m (Fender Gold) and 116pF/m (Fender Custom Shop)

6. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Talking about high-capacitance cables--I had a 20 ft Planet Waves cable for well over 25 years. It took hard abuse and kept on working fine.

Fine until I switched from bass back to guitar. With a guitar it lacked presence and was very treble attenuated. After figuring out the cause of the crappy tone I cut it into short patch cables

7. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes. Do I recall reading recently that PW changed their cables to lower-attenuation after D'Addario took over? Not sure, but if you had a 25-yr old PW maybe they're better now. Not defending them -- I think of them as 'very affordable' and was surprised to see they are now apparently making a 'better' cable. YCMV... :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.