1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guitar cable capacitance -- how much is too much?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by King Fan, Jul 25, 2020.

1. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

It's wheatstone bridge time.....Ha, ha.

2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

"What do you mean... an African or European swallow?"

:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    tubegeek likes this.
  3. larsjm

larsjm TDPRI Member

Nevermind...

ThermionicScott and tubegeek like this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

When I was researching which curly cord had the most awesome toanz I discovered that the vintage Marshall cane grill cloth high end rolloff was smoother, creamier and more flutey than any of the boutique or vintage coily cables.
    A yard of can grill cloth costs about the same as a good coily cable, and this seller is having a sale so the price is lower and might be your best value!

https://vintagestuffplus.com/products/marshall-cane-grill-cloth-58-width

Hard to swap grill cloth though, and note that cane is really hard work to stretch onto a baffle evenly, so if you want to A/B cane vs whatever you now use that isn't creamy enough, you'll need to buy twoi cabs and load them with consecutive manufacture speakers to ensure a scientifically legit comparison.

The sweet highs cane delivers is really to die for though, so it's worth all the expense and effort.

"Highs" as a description of collective tone would really be singular, right?
    Never trust tech talk delivered with poor semantics!

aging_rocker likes this.
  5. fernando

fernando Tele-Afflicted

I see there is an even lower capacitance cable available: Sommer Cable "Colonel Incredible", 41pF per meter (2,40€/m in Europe)

My low cap. cables have 166pF/m (Fender Gold) and 116pF/m (Fender Custom Shop)

6. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Talking about high-capacitance cables--I had a 20 ft Planet Waves cable for well over 25 years. It took hard abuse and kept on working fine.

Fine until I switched from bass back to guitar. With a guitar it lacked presence and was very treble attenuated. After figuring out the cause of the crappy tone I cut it into short patch cables

7. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. Do I recall reading recently that PW changed their cables to lower-attenuation after D'Addario took over? Not sure, but if you had a 25-yr old PW maybe they're better now. Not defending them -- I think of them as 'very affordable' and was surprised to see they are now apparently making a 'better' cable. YCMV... :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.