1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guitar cable capacitance -- how much is too much?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by King Fan, Jul 25, 2020.

1. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

"Good kit."

2. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Exactly............this is going the way of hi-fi nuts, gold plated jacks will be next, which, as the name implies, make Jack S**t difference to the sound you can actually hear.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  3. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

Any amount that you have to think about?

4. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Me too, got it wet and it shorted!

Rocky058 likes this.
  5. TPWastewater

TPWastewater TDPRI Member

Who can hear the difference? Bats? Couple decades ago someone tested $50/foot hi-fi speaker cables against rolled up aluminum foil. In blindfold listening test not one set of boutique, high-end ears could tell the difference.

6. MoHump

MoHump TDPRI Member

All coaxial conductors have inherent Resistance, Capacitance, and Inductance. Think of your cable as a long string of little resistors and Inductors whit a capacitor connected to the shield. What else does a cable have? It has delay! There is a small delay from when the signal enters the cable to when it comes out the other end, usually measured in pico-seconds. Now that might not sound like much (you'll never notice it), but there was an interesting article just recently that told how they had to add delay to the loud speakers at a some festival to match the speaker output to the normally transmitted sound from the stage to prevent the two sounds clashing.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd get rid of that C Rex speaker before worrying about my good quality middle of the road cables!

How about that Tele bridge pickup?
    Too dark & muddy?
    No?

Which great players got their awesome toanz by choosing ultra low capacitance cables?

8. telemnemonics

Yeah but it's a scientific fact that electrons travel faster through aluminum!

aging_rocker likes this.
  9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Unlike gold tipped rca connectors there is a very audible difference. The issue is what one prefers, not whether it’s bs. Like I said, try a 3’ cable vs a 20’ cable plugged straight in and you’ll hear it.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Most people pick a guitar by how it sounds and feels, but only internet forum hobbyists get into things like capacitance, scatterwinding, fretboard radius, etc. We may investigate what causes something to sound good, but I think famous guitarists just pick something they like.

Lowerleftcoast and telemnemonics like this.
  11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Some famous guitarists geek out on stuff as much as anyone else. For example Joe Satriani is very aware of the exact placement of his neck pickup and how it relates to natural harmonics of the underlying strings and thereby affects the tone.

Eric Johnson is also famous for super-geeking out on every single fiddly bit in his entire signal chain.

Watch some of Premier Guitar's Rig Rundowns-- often the featured guitar star says how they love watching Rig Rundown and then they go on to talk about all the geeky ways they have come to develop the rig that they now have. Sure, some of them talk about how they just plug it in and let it rip, but the vast majority have a lot to say about how and why they put their rig together, including a lot of these fine issues.

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

I don't think cable capacitance is inaudible or a myth, but I also don't have amps that lack treble.
    I use pickups that produce a tonal palette I like without the need for a special cable to preserve the high end.
    But I also don't use the now popular hotter over wound pickups that so many buy because of "ice pick tone" from a Tele.

For that matter, I don't use a tone control in my Esquires because I don't like the way it dulls my tone.
    None of my guitar cables dull tone like the tone control virtually all guitars are equipped with!

Of course we do have some excitement over no load tone pots to preserve treble, but just as many buy hemp cone speakers and hotter than stock pickups to get rid of excess treble.

I can't recall a single thread discussion how to get MORE treble from the electric guitar!

13. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Literally every properly set-up PA at an outdoors gig has this feature, because of the speed of propagation of sound in air. That has absolutely nothing to do with the transmission time of an electric field in a conductor, which is too short to hear in any practical cable.

14. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

LMAO. I need a hearing aid from playing in them.

gregulator450 likes this.
  15. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

Sure, I'd be the last to deny the real effects of cable capacitance. What I'm saying is the sound is what matters, whether one prefers bright or darker. But numbers are meaningless since there are so many other variables, in the guitar, the amp, the atmosphere, etc. Pick a cable that sounds like you want it too...uhh, for those who can tell the difference, or think they do.

16. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Hence why I said "nothing to worry about". ;)

But then I set myself straight with some simulations and a little prodding from some other helpful members, so it's all good. :oops:

17. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Is this all to say you plan to select a capacitor to match a cable? Can't say it would make a lot of difference in the long run. Why not solder some jumpers and test the caps to see what range you like? The cap value is going to determine how dark the tone will get, or in other words, the usable range of the tone pot. Can't say it has too much to do with which cable you use. It's not going to make it brighter. Pot value affects brightness.

18. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

Without being dismissive of your question. How does wireless effect capacitance and the tone of electric guitars? I use both UHF and VHF wireless and recently the new wifi wireless systems available for guitar.

19. telemnemonics

Wait, do cable capacitance nerds who go to great lengths to preserve all their high end actually leave the tone sucking tone pot and cap circuit in the guitar???

That would be like eating hamburgers at an anti carnivore rally!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.