1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guitar buying/selling curiosity

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by graybeard65, Apr 10, 2020.

1. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

Maybe some of you have some insight into this...what's the point of covering or obscuring serial numbers when one is listing a guitar for sale?

I've seen sellers write "...serial number covered for privacy." and still others that have adamantly said "for my protection, I will not disclose the serial number."

I've bought and sold a modest number of guitars over the years, and I've never bothered to cover anything, thinking that the kinds of buyers that I'd most like to do business with would be folks that would want to know the serial number anyhow.

Seems like paranoia to me, and I don't get it - can someone school me on what the thought process is here?

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure why it would matter unless the item is stolen and they don't want cops seeing the serial number.

graybeard65, nojazzhere and skitched like this.
  3. skitched

skitched Tele-Meister

Maybe they think that someone might report it stolen to the police and they will use the serial number as evidence it once belonged to them???

4. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

If the serial is covered or they will not divulge, I assume the guitar is hot and move on.

5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting take on the stolen thing. Could be.

graybeard65 likes this.
  6. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Any pictures you put up on the internet are forever, I just figure it's a good idea not to put my serial numbers out there in the world. If the guitar was hot, I just wouldn't provide pictures showing the area of the serial at all.

For a $300 Fender it's probably not a big deal, but if I had something really valuable that someone might be tempted to pull a scam over, definitely.

7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I also think some people cover the serial so that a fake can't be made of the guitar that then becomes harder to trace.

You sell a black american tele and show the serial in a common web picture and someone can then slap the same serial on a black tele fake, and anyone who looks up the serial will get 'black american tele' and think it's legit.

8. thankyouguitar

thankyouguitar Tele-Meister

There is a trend of listing your guitar on website registries like http://www.theguitarvaults.com/ ostensibly with other user data. So a person could connect the sale guitar to the owner through such a website if it was listed on it.

Maybe?

graybeard65 likes this.
  9. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

This'n. Serial spoofing is getting more and more popular with counterfeit builders as it's easy to go to any listing and steal a serial and slap it on their next Chinese Gibson. I've always covered the model/unit serials in photos and put in the description why I'm doing it and that I'm happy to provide the full serial in text or photo form for anyone that asks. I'll also always send an image to anyone discussing ponying up cash for a guitar, whether they request it or not. I'd hate to get fleeced by somebody and really hate feeling like I was on the other end of it.

graybeard65 likes this.
  10. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I don't immediatlly think it could be stolen. I think is wise as a seller to not show it widely. If a buyer wants it, then send them a pic. I feel it does protect the seller in some small way. I wouldn't want my serial number to be on someone else's insurance policy in an act of fraud as proof of coverage.

It the same with pics of automobiles with license plates for sale or showing off. I'm not going to give out that info willy nilly even if you can drive by my home or pass me on the road and get it easily. As a car guy, I can say that half the folks don't and the other laugh at them for covering it up in photos.

Don't give bad guys any easy info, even if they could get. Make'm work for it. Thats how I look at it.

graybeard65 likes this.
  11. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Think about all the scammers that join this site to post a pic and ask "What makes you think this is fake?"

graybeard65 and skitched like this.
  12. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Like backporch says, folks take that serial number and make mucho fake guitars with it.

graybeard65 and skitched like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.