Guitar Builders: Where Do You Get Your Wood?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by JDawg0427, Sep 19, 2020.

1. JDawg0427

JDawg0427 TDPRI Member

I'm looking to buy a few body blanks and a neck blank or two to make a few guitars. I'm looking at a few different places for solid body blanks and neck blanks big enough for a strat or jazzmaster. Anyone got recommendations for wood that won't break the bank?

crazydave911 and jscud like this.
  2. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

All good-quality wood is expensive. The only times you can get true deals is from a cabinet shop that has drops (cut-off scrap) from larger jobs.

The best thing to do is find a local hardwood dealer and go look at all their stuff. You can usually get a better deal from a local place than you can from an online dealer because shipping is expensive too.

Yet another option for deals on wood is a salvage supplier. These places stock bricks, doors, lighting fixtures, windows...and wood removed from buildings under renovation or slated to be demolished. Beams and joists are really good sources for guitar timbers. If you go this route, get yourself a small metal detector to scan your timbers to ensure no nails/screws are in the wood before you machine it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    John Nicholas, Mr_Q, Nickfl and 2 others like this.
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Ebay for curly maple and genuine mahogany , swamp ash and alder. In many cases they are just commercial entities selling off lumber.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=232761803590

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=114416138024

I have a local Hardwood lumber dealer. for poplar, basswood, regular maple and other domestic woods. Luthier supply houses for acoustic woods. Look for hardwood lumber in your closest city. This woodfinder link has smaller mill types.

www.Woodfinder.com

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I buy from a local hardwood dealer as well. I just got a 10’ plank of 8/4 clear alder for $55. I’ll be able to get 3 two-piece bodies from it.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

Sorry....this thread isn't what I thought it would be...

6. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Oh, Lord. So many Beavis & Butt-Head cartoons are playing in my head...

crazydave911 and Informal like this.
  7. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Local hardwood dealers, local sawyers, historically some material milled off my property, occasionally something online or from another woodworker. I sometime buy lumber that "tickles my fancy" when a good buy is to be had and it waits in my racks until the right project comes along. I recently used a piece of 5/4 cherry I've had since about 2002...

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

9. ghostchord

ghostchord Tele-Meister

I never bought anything from these guys but they seem interesting ... I stumbled on their site while looking at local options:
    https://www.woodtoworks.com/

p.s. it seems that once wood is somehow deemed guitar wood and is milled to the right size its value jumps right up. Similarly table top slabs. I'm willing to bet that maple log that makes all these maples tops costs 1/100th of what all the tops sell for. I guess that's all to be expected, free markets in action...

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. pshupe

pshupe Tele-Meister

from these -
    IMG_4879.JPG BW_w_junior.jpg IMG_6982.JPG

Cut down friend's tree, milled into planks, kiln dried, build guitar. Four step process. ;-)

Try and find a local sawmill. Generally that will be the most cost effective. Local woods should be fine for guitar building. There are a couple of exotic wood places within 45 mins of me. If you live close to a medium - large sized town it should be similar.

Cheers Peter.

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I dunno, I just wake up in the morning and there it is!

JDawg0427 likes this.
  12. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

find a local lumberyard, look on facebook marketplace and craigslist for local guys that are harvesting wood. You can get maple at menards or Home Depot usually. be creative, you don't have to buy "tone wood" by any means. People love pine fenders for a reason.

crazydave911 and Mr. Neutron like this.
  13. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

As everyone is saying find a local hardwood supplier. Much cheaper than online. I bought 2 8 ft. maple boards yesterday for $80 from a local supplier and will get 6 regular necks and 2 bass necks from them. That's about $10 each. Online are 3 to 4 times that. If you're making Strats or Jazzmasters you will probably want alder for the bodies and it's the same thing. Online will be a lot more. You'll be able to personally pick and choose locally but not online.

14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

from the local recycled timber place....DF rafters, wall studs and pine table tops....

cheap as chips.... made some great guitars/basses from these...

pine beam2.JPG pine table back.JPG

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.