1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guitar Builder's Club at School Needs Paint Source

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by carolinaeasy, Jan 17, 2018.

1. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Tele-Meister

A few other teachers and I have started a guitar builder's club here at our high school. Using a .dwg file of a 53 tele we procured from this site, our students have a very nice tele body underway. We are getting close to beginning our finishing work on the bodies, and many of the students have expressed interest in doing a nitro finish on their guitars. We have a paint booth, compressor, and paint gun. But we are having issues finding a local vendor for nitro lacquer. All of the local auto parts/paint stores have said they cannot get that any longer. Does anyone here have a source? We know we can go the aerosol route through reranch, but we believe it might be cheaper to do the spray gun method because we have six students who want a sunburst.

Jimmy Jazz likes this.
  2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Any of the big box store supply places near you? HDepot? Lowes, etc? If they don't, ask their more knowledgable finish guys where you might start. There might be existing laws in your state against having it shipped?

I had been under the impression it couldn't be had in CA years ago. I tracked some down easily as I wanted to build a spray rig. I came to my senses though. I wouldn't be shooting enough.

You guys sound like an ideal situation though. That sounds like a great club. Good luck. Shouldn't be too hard to find once people start chiming in.

3. creekrat

creekrat TDPRI Member

Sherwin Williams still has a genuine nitrocellulose lacquer. I believe they call theirs Sher-wood lovoc. Pretty sure reranch and stewmac also have solutions.

4. carolinaeasy

I live in Pennsylvania, as far as I know, we do not have laws prohibiting the use of Nitro. I called Sherwin Williams and the guy said he did not have nitro cellulose. However, with you having the name of Sher-wood lovoc I can call him back and ask about that product specifically. Thanks, also on re-ranch all I see is aerosole cans.

5. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Bill Hubbard likes this.
  6. carolinaeasy

Where can you typically get the different paint shades? eg. Daphne Blue, Fiesta Red, etc.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  7. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

If you are going to do a translucent finish then you tint some of the lacquer and spray it on before clear coats. For solid colors, you would spray a coat or two of paint and then clear coat over that. There is a brand of auto paint called duplicolor that is widely available in rattle cans at auto supply stores that people seem to have good experiences with and is supposed to be compatible with nitro. If you want actual nitrocellulose based paint colors specifically matched to the vintage ones you named you would probably have to order from a specialty guitar finish supplier like reranch.

carolinaeasy likes this.
  8. mtnpicker

mtnpicker TDPRI Member

You should still be able to get nitro in PA. I was getting lacquers from Sherwin Williams while working in central NY a few yrs ago and fairly certain my buddy's still getting lacquer there. I would think someone close could order it for you, unless PA has had a recent EPA regulation change.

As far as the opaque colors you mentioned, you will need to find a paint store with the proper tints for tinting lacquers or tint your own. I use Japan colors from Ronan(in NY) or UTC's for tinting. Not to be confused with Universal tints for latex, which don't work well in lacquers.

9. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sherwin Williams local stores can get it but mine require a 4 gallon minimum which is how they have to buy it. About $42/ gallon but well worth it. I have to ask by specific number or they are clueless. It is Sherwood LOVOC lacquer TV70C60.

I have also been trying CCI FinishWorks Lacquer and have been very pleased with it. I consiser it equal to Sherwin. They will ship individual gallons out of Indiana where it is made. You might see wht they would do for a school.

1516307166486.jpg

carolinaeasy likes this.
  10. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

Are you going to complete the guitars? Where do you get hardware?

11. Outcaster

Outcaster Tele-Holic

For Sherwin Williams, you need to go their web site and locate a commercial coatings store. The regular house paint stores don't stock it. The commercial store will have it and will sell it by the gallon. I recommend using their retarder/reducer with LOVOC. I think it's called R27

carolinaeasy likes this.
  12. carolinaeasy

A lot of people over at strat-talk donated parts for the kids, what we don’t get from them I am going to help each kid get the best parts for their individual budget.

Billnchristy likes this.
  13. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Our commercial coatings store doesn't stock it and won't bother to get it for people. From my experience it all depends on the manager or person behind the counter. The only 2 stores in my metro area that will get it are both home stores.

14. Billnchristy

Let me know if you need anything. I'm not rich, but willing to help.

carolinaeasy likes this.
  15. carolinaeasy

Thanks that is very generous of you. At this point, besides paint and some ferrules the kids have all they need to make these functional and quality Teles. Here are some pics of what we have done so far. IMG_0166.JPG IMG_0162.JPG IMG_0076.JPG
    Most of the bodies are poplar four piece bodies, there are a few ash two piece bodies. I don’t seem to have many pics of the fully cut out bodies. We cnc’d them almost all the way down, then finished cutting out on the band saw, and used the spindle sander to work the edges smooth.

Jimmy Jazz and eallen like this.
  16. Billnchristy

Cool stuff!

carolinaeasy likes this.
  17. mattgwvt

mattgwvt TDPRI Member

If you're able to cnc the top but not the whole width, just cut them out on the bandsaw within about 1/8" and finish them off on a router with a trim bit. Should be near perfect without having to go to the spindle sander.

18. mattgwvt

mattgwvt TDPRI Member

Also, most lacquers off the shelf at the big box stores are nitro based. Just order a few gallons if they only have pints. I'm pretty happy with Watco lacquer compared to Minwax, as it seems to thin better and dry faster. Just go online and look up the MSDS (material safety date sheet) to find out if it's nitro based. Both minwax and watco have the same % nitro as Behlen, which is marketed as Nitrocellulose.

19. carolinaeasy

Thank you @mattgwvt the problem we face is that most students have a “classic” fender color in mind. As for the routing info, thank you for such a good tip.

20. mattgwvt

mattgwvt TDPRI Member

Look into Mixol tints. It's takes some trial and error to get the right color, but it's possible. I also like the tip mentioned above about the Ronan Japan Colors. I'm gonna try that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.