Guitar Build No.2

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by boop, Apr 8, 2020.

1. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Here we goo again. Another weird and perhaps haphazard guitar build. I don't really know what I'm doing in terms of shape and details, but I started by cutting up a cedar fence post. I plan on slowly pecking away at this, but I may gather steam and bang it out.

Think I'm leaning towards the red center strip.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tubegeek likes this.
  2. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

What do you have to joint it with? That wood will look great if you can make a very small/invisible glue line.

3. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

I've never heard of a cedar bodied electric guitar (I'm sure people have done it). I like cedar. Soft, easy to work. Dents easily, though.

tubegeek likes this.
  4. boop

boop Tele-Meister

I don't have a proper jointer. I have a chunk of marble tile and some sandpaper. I have a jack plane, but I'm afraid i'll do more harm than good. It's already fairly close, so hopefully i can get it jointed without too much effort.

Some people here have done them. It is verry soft, so the top will eventually get pretty trashed. Hopefully I can mitigate it somewhat with large roundovers.

Here is some quick imagineering(tm). i could live with something close to this.
    [​IMG]

tubegeek likes this.
  5. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

Well, because of the softness, if you clamp it quite tight it'll probably give a nice tight line anyway. I know what you mean about the jack plane. Have you seen a shooting fixture for jackplane jointing? Might be worth a try. The marble/sandpaper is a good bet too. Following with interest. Trying to find an "alternative" supply of wood to make a body from scratch right now too. I like what you're coming up with.

boop likes this.
  6. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

:eek:

7. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Looks like google doesn't like hosting my images. But no matter. I dumped the old design idea.

The body blank glue-up went fine. There are some ever so slight hairline gaps, but they are near invisible from more than a foot away, The line on the lower left is just the color of the wood. I'll probably just leave them. I was doing some thicknessing out on the porch. There is a bit more to do here.
    [​IMG]

I decided that the stripes warranted a more aggressive body shape. Something with double horns. Before I had a kind of Music Man Axis thing going on. I didn't want to draw on the soft cedar, so I did some sketches with masking tape...
    [​IMG]
    Yes, lovely. I put that image into Inkscape, and made it into:
    [​IMG]
    It's kind of hideous, but I also like it in a strange way... I'm thinking carved top, P-90s, set neck. I'll sleep on it for now...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  8. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Think about scarf joints... Stare at neck blank, draw line. Stare at line, decide it's backwards and upside down. Make new line...

[​IMG]

Score along said line with a knife, followed by a chisel. Establish a channel with the saw.
    [​IMG]

And we're off and sawing.
    [​IMG]

The Japanese pull saw is new to me. I enjoy using it, but the flexible blade did drift on the far side of the cut...
    [​IMG]
    It needs to be planed anyway. And then cleaned up with a sanding block. No big deal.
    [​IMG]
    This seemed like a good place to glue this all together?
    [​IMG]

tubegeek, E-miel, paulmarr and 2 others like this.
  9. Sybo

Sybo TDPRI Member

Following

boop likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.