1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guitar brands time forgot.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Grabsplatter, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

My first bass. Not a bad old thing, until the neck went all banana shaped. Set me back £129 in about 1987. The bridge pup was fairly useless, but the neck one was OK. I remembered it yesterday and googled it, a Franconia. Hardly any photos, and very little information. When I bought it, the shop had two of their basses, this one, and the earlier model which was a dead ringer for a Fender Jazz. Can't find any photos of that earlier version.

So, what forgotten brands have you owned?

download (2).jpg

2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

My bass is an early 80s Hohner precision copy. Solid and workmanlike. It came with creaky electrics, gritty pots, wobbly jack, but nothing that I couldn't fix. I've had it around 20 years and can't see any point in replacing it.

3. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Route 101:

[​IMG]

They had a thing going in the late 90s where you could get a sort of customized strat clone (you could specify body finish, pickguard, pickup configuration, etc.) for a reasonable price. It was a nice player.

J Hog likes this.
  4. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    My first 'real' guitar (if you can call it that) was a Stella acoustic... not much of a guitar but got me started I guess... would be fun to still have around though.

5. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

I have a Westone white strat-shaped guitar in the original case.

bsman likes this.
  6. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

I don't suppose anyone remembers adverts in the back of Kerrang and Metal Hammer for Axe? They allegedly made guitars, basses, and drums that they were always flogging dead cheap. As far as I know, nobody ever bought one or saw one in the flesh. Even google can't find evidence of their instruments actually existing, as far as I can tell.

It'd be nice to think they sold at least one guitar...

axeadvert.jpg

Gotta love the photo of the guy in full rock pose. The hair, the guitar, the stance, the tiny little amp that fell out of a box of corn flakes...

elKZacha and badfish_lewis like this.
  7. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

When I was a lot younger, I had a D'Agostino Les Paul Custom copy that was made in Italy. It was a spot-on exact clone of a Gibson, not the later one with the different headstock and inlays, etc. That was a killer guitar - I really wish I still had it!

8. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

My first guitar was a Dyko acoustic guitar made in Japan.

I later traded up to a cheapie guitar made in Mexico that had the name Jom (or was it "Tom"?) on its headstock. It was built in Mexico. I remember it had brightly colored pieces of pipe cleaners wrapped around the strings where they anchored to the bridge.

A friend had an Eko (was it pronounced like "echo" or "eeeko"?). He later traded up to a Ventura, another brand that vanished for a while and resurfaced later. The Ventura was a good and playable guitar.

9. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I once had one of those in my hands. I was on holiday and a young kid (about 10) on the caravan site had one. His Dad got talking to my Dad, who of course said "Bring it over my boy will have a look at it".

Thanks Dad...

The strings were stronger than the neck. No way it would stop bending, truss rod? Right... The pickups had one sound - wasps nest. The amp fell to pieces before I even saw it. Poor kid. He was so disappointed with it. I wonder if he gave up or carried on with guitar? He'd be how old now?

Grabsplatter likes this.
  10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

armstrongSMG_DA.jpg Dan Armstrong plexiglass

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I sold many Arbor guitars in edgy shaped and colors when I was in college. We would get a pallet load of assorted Arbors at Christmas time. I bought an Arbor Steinberger bass copy (the 80's mannnn!). I haven't seen an Arbor in years.

An Arbor is on the left.....

[​IMG]

In looking for this photo I found a great website.

www.junkguitars.com

Check it out....you'll find something from your youth. It's a collection of old off beat stuff.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  12. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Good timing for this thread.

Anyone know anything about Framus?

Framus.jpg

Found this pic while going through my grandma's old house a month or so back. Wonder if the guitar might be hiding somewhere under all the boxes?

EDIT: Just googled them. This one looks to be a thinline model, probably late 50s.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    WigWam likes this.
  13. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Vibra.
    I had a dove copy acoustic, then a Tele copy electric, both Vibra.

Research told me that Vibra was one of several names under which Ibanez made and imported into North America.
    My first two personal guitars in fact.
    Before that I began learning on my Dad's Gibson LG-1

14. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Kramer. I had a ZX30H I bought new in, oh, 1988 or so. Kramer was huge for a while, then all but disappeared from the scene. The are still in business, just nowhere near the player that they used to be.

Mine looked just like this:

000000112384571-00-500x500.jpg

15. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

I had an Aria Pro II in high school. Strat shape, decent sound, but the scale seemed very short compared to the Squier strat that it replaced.

16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I remember Kramer being the first quality brand with a locking tremolo back when EVH was new and huge. I knew people who paid $1200 in 1984 for locking tremolo Kramers. Then Ibanez and Squier came out with locking trem guitars at $350 (like 1986) and Kramer went away. It was an interesting two year boom for Kramer. The first locking trem that I ever saw was a blue Kramer. A guy wanted to trade it in to our store. He played a G chord and pushed the trem arm all the way down so that the strings were totally loose and laying on the pickups and then he let go and played a perfectly in tune chord. I had never seen anything like it. We took it on trade against a new Les Paul. It was amazing.

bftfender likes this.
  17. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Kramer is now a Gibson-family budget brand.

I had a Vantage bass in the 80s that killed it. Vantage as a brand is still around, but not in the US. And, they're not made in Japan anymore.

18. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That is actually "funny". I paid about $350 for that ZX30H, and it was a tremolo like a Strat had. I sent it to a local luthier shop and spent another $350 on a Floyd Rose locking unit. I way over improved that guitar, but it was a decent player. Not a great player, a decent player, maybe good.

In 1992, my wife bought me an SRV Strat for Christmas. I sold the Kramer two years later for - wait for it - wait for it - $350.

Fond memories of that guitar. It was my first decent guitar. Mind you, I don't miss it, but I do think of it fondly.

19. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Tama acoustics.

telemnemonics likes this.
  20. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Ecko SSS and HH. Ecko SSS.jpg Ecko HH.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.