Guitar bakes in car Thermometer inside case Alerts your iPhone: only in Sci-fi?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by billy logan, May 15, 2021.

1. billy logan

billy logan Tele-Meister

My Yairi wants a Yeti - and with digital read-out :)

Yes. My google keyword skills are weak. "Thermometer" confusingly also refers to a certain guitar case shape. And I'm sure a person has rigged up an indoor/outdoor thermometer or barbeque or greenhouse thermometer to send an alert when a certain high temperature has been reached. Or cold temp, too.

Is there a guitar case with such a feature for sale? Useful if you parked in the shade, but miscalculated the sun's path.

Or, less ambitious, is there a guitar case that displays the temperature inside it on the case's exterior?

As I said, won't be surprised to find there is one is hiding in plain sight on the internet somewhere; I couldn't find it. If it exists, I bet it's probably very well insulated. Maybe a "case case". Like I imagine a Stradivarius might have.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

By the time such a system alerted you to a dangerous temperature, your guitar could already be damaged. I would just plan to never leave your guitar in a parked car.

3. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

You are correct, but the thought of a “hey, dummy, you screwed up” warning system has its merits…

El Tele Lobo and bender66 like this.
  4. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Be better if your thermometer triggered a sprinkler system. Just alerting you that you've got bad news waiting for you in the car is worse than not knowing.

5. billy logan

billy logan Tele-Meister

Why imagine the system being set at a guitar-damaging temperature? Probably the barbecue reference :) What, you didn't ask for a roasted maple neck?

A system like that could save me needless worry, in circumstances where I have to leave it in the car.

Circumstances like - I just picked up the guitar at the luthier's in a distant town. Have to take care of distant town-type errands. Maybe it's a 79-degree Fahrenheit day and I park the car in the shade, crack the windows. The guitars been riding in its Yeti-insulated case in the trunk, or behind the front seat, covered with haphazard-looking, but strategic, clutter, hiding it from prying eyes. I deploy a windshield reflector, then go off on foot to do distant-town errands.

Because I trust the system to alert me if it's AGAINST ALL EXPECTATION 90-degrees in the case, I don't have to worry during the errands. And, I suppose, if the system could send the alert at 90-degrees, it could also give me a continuous read-out. Right? Could it not? How long can a Yeti cooler keep ice? Is cold Coors Lite more valuable than your guitar?

Don't fret it, I know y'all just jivin' me (while typing up applications for the U.S. patent on it)

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I like the idea of a Loony Tunes foghorn alerting you that you're prized possesion's bracing has fallen apart. Or an anvil dropping on your head! A skillet to the face leaving your face in the shape of said skillet!

Dan German and El Tele Lobo like this.
  7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Only if it's THIS Foghorn...

[​IMG]

Dan German and bender66 like this.
  8. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

During the years of 2012 to 2014 I went through peroids of time where my Guild never left my Jeep (no AC) except to take out and play. The thing held together through extreme heat and extreme cold. But now it is sort of rought to play, but it seems like that happened a couple years after the fact. Needs some work, that I eventually plan to have done, as the guitar has sentimental value.

I'm a sure a tele is always going to be better at handling that stuff than any acoustic, even a tank of a Guild.

A few tips, if your guitar has to stay in a vehicle. 1. Try your best to park in the shade. 2. Get the guitar low and try to avoid direct sun light on the case. 3. Cover with a blanket to help with that, plus that helps people from seeing it so easy and stealing it. 4. Let the windows down at least some of the way. That will help cool the inside down way more than you'd think. I think I read once, up to 30 degrees or so (too late tonight to double check haha).

5. Obviously, with the cold the worst possible thing to do is move it from cold immediately to warm/hot, even into room temperature. Allow it time to come up in the case. I'd say a half hour. That at least helps.

There are all my tips for leaving a guitar in vehicle, because while it's best not to, I know for sure that is not always possible.

billy logan likes this.
  9. billy logan

billy logan Tele-Meister

Manitoba man said all the gigging guitars up there have alligator-checked finishes from the cold van rides then into the warm club and back.

IF a case displayed its interior temp THEN you'd know to wait till the "case/room temperature difference" wasn't extreme.

Converge the hygrometer and the temp display into one gizmo, Bob's yer uncle.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  10. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

Lots of connected thermometers are available, and they all send you the temperature on your phone. You can set alerts of course.
    Problem is: they need WiFi, so unless you’ve got a connexion into your car when it’s parked, you won’t be able to make it work.

Telekarster likes this.
  11. billy logan

billy logan Tele-Meister

OK forget the iPhone part. I'll just prevail on Yeti to manufacture a guitar case with "in-case/surface of case" temp display.

Pre-WiFi I had a indoor/outdoor thermometer. I could place its /outdoor sensor up to a certain distance - like 300 ft, I forget. Anyway I put the /outdoor sensor in the pump house and it transmitted wirelessly to the base, the indoor/ display.

Ok, techies. Could a thermometer not text you? or phone you w/Alexa voice :) in this day and age? Maybe the thermostat in the engine will send you a telegram?

12. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

You could set up wifi in your car. Get a cheap data plan and an old phone, and let it run as a hotspot in your car, with only the thermometer connected to it.

offsideref likes this.
  13. billy logan

billy logan Tele-Meister

The whole point is THE CAR'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A HOTSPOT ;-) it's supposed 2b a medium-warm spot

jk, AJBaker, thanks

See there, you guys? it IS possible.

I did have a "car guitar" at one point coz there wuz dudes there and also over there and buskers and the man who delivered to the cafe I'd'cross paths with and they'd show me stuff.

14. runstendt

runstendt Tele-Meister

As mentioned before, for long range communication you would need wifi, but you could have something that was bluetooth based for shorter range (about 30 feet or less), such as inside a club while waiting for the temperature inside the case to be closer to the temperature in the room. In fact, some of my students made a wireless thermometer using a micro:bit for a similar project, where they needed to be able to record the temperature in a closed box without opening it. It would not be hard at all to rig up something for short range temperature measurements.

15. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I agree.
    By the time any alert was made a window would have been smashed and the guitar stolen.
    Don't leave your guitar in parked car.

16. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

How damaged to guitars get by heat?

I'm thinking of bringing some acoustics on holiday this year, and they will no doubt occasionally be left in the car.

Telekarster likes this.
  17. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't get too excited about temperature swings. There is often a huge temperature difference between the stage and the back of the truck that brought the axe to the gig. The trick is to let them thaw or cool to stage temp before using. Goes for instrument amps & PA gear, as well.

18. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Yep, and historically lots of places never even had AC until the 60's, while many venues/clubs got it even later.

But, yeah, today you still really don't see many (if any?) climate controlled gear trailers. Keeping an acoustic guitar in perfect temp/humidity conditions is a luxury.

19. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

No instrument, especially acoustics, take kindly to extreme temperature variations. Violins, cellos, guitars, pianos etc. all the same in this regard. Wood, glue, varnish expand and contract wildly and things can literally fall apart in such conditions. Best thing is not to subject them to this at all, or at least nothing you care about. I have an acoustic made by Jasmine (Takamine sub) that I call my "knock around" guitar. It's actually a darn good guitar but I basically got it for free so, if something should happen to it, it's not a great loss. As for my Martin's? No way would I take the risk... My advice would be to take something like this on holiday vs. anything you care about ;)

20. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

The original post is concerned with a specific issue pertaining to acoustic guitars (or other instruments that rely on structural adhesives) and the HIGH temperature that a car parked in the sun can reach.

180°F is hot enough to soften/liquify some glues after a short while. So leave your acoustic in the car for the afternoon and maybe the bridge is no longer attached and you also need a neck reset. And maybe all the bracing is loose.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.