Guitar and Bass Design

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Asmith, Oct 28, 2016.

What's Your Favourite?

1. Tele Pickup Version

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Humbucker Version

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. P90 Version

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Bass Version

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Hi all,

I created a Brainy Memorial thread for a build that's going to take ages to get off the ground. (Looking for a better paying job at the moment with better hours.) Anyway the build is a custom design, a crossover between a telecaster and a mustang. The result looked like this and I'm really happy with the result of the design, it should be really light weight.

Final Render.png

The neck is designed to be a set through, douglas fir neck and paulownia wings, 1 1/4" thick body and vintage style hardware to shave even more weight. If put together the guitars should weigh around 4 lbs on average.

Since then I've been spending some of my spare time modifying the design and came up with a few alternatives and rather than sticking it on the build thread I thought I'd stick them here instead.

SG/Mustang/24 3/4" scale/21 frets.
    SG_Mustang.png
    Dual P90/Tele/Mustang/24 3/4" scale/would be a 23 fret so lots of upper fret access.
    Telestang_P90.png

And finally a short scale bass version (30") considered Bass IV string configuration and standard as in the image.
    Telestang_Bass.png

I haven't done the frets on the last two yet or the tuners on the Bass. Also I can't play bass but I would like to learn but that would require buying a bass which I can't afford at the moment so if I could eventually build this thing that would be awesome.

Guess I just wanted to share them with you guys ("show off"), let me know if you like them or if you don't. ;)

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice! But the pickguard is letting down the SG/Mustang.

3. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I know I'm not keen, I was trying to get a SG esque pickguard but with the offset mustang body and SGs being very symmetrical it was very difficult to get a good halfway between the two. In the end it looks like some shredder guitar that maybe some metalhead would love haha.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

How much routing is underneath? Could you get away with (nearly?) nothing?

5. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Just thought that maybe a half guard could work very well on it, I was going for a batwing guard but a standard style would probably work a lot better.

6. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

I dig the SG style one. I think it might be because of that wonky pickguard but it reminds me of some of the weird Japanese stuff from the 60s/70s... but still American.
    Also what is the software that everyone uses to do these mockups? It is slick and I want it!

7. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

This isn't a guitar specific software, it's a CAD program called Fusion 360 (a cloud version of AutoCAD). So all the designs are to scale 3D models that could be used to CNC the body and neck, you could also mill things like the bridge and 3D print the pickup covers and pickguard but obviously I'd prefer to use other methods to get these parts.

If you click the link and give your computer about 30 seconds you can see the models in 3D. The tele pickup version is the most detailed as this is the original design and all the others are based on the neck/body, it has the frets, strings and the 12th fret marker included and I think the cavities are also included.

Bass version: http://a360.co/2eW0qVO
    P90 version: http://a360.co/2eQ0Dvn
    Tele Pickups version: http://a360.co/2eQ29Oe

nickhofen likes this.
  8. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Thanks. That's awesome. I had to do a clean install on my home machine so don't have any of my CAD software anymore.
    I really dig those designs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.