Guitar and Amp Market Saturation Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ArcticWhite, Jul 17, 2019.

1. rocks2oldies

rocks2oldies TDPRI Member

Well, where I live in California...the Inland Empire, I don't see hardly anyone desiring to play guitar. As a matter of fact, not many schools offer a music program anymore. They can join the high school band, but where do you see a guitar in a parade? Common core teaching destroyed most of the "arts" in school districts.

Wanting to pass my guitars down or donate to a guitar teaching facility, seems useless basically because there aren't any that I have found.

Kids these days are too busy with other activities, non-dedicated and walk around with headphones in their ears, to where you have a hard time getting their attention. Some don't even want to own a car, preferring someone to drive them or public transportation.

There are a lot of individual musical instrument teachers without a clientele that are seeking work in other fields because of the dwindling interest in learning and/or parents can't afford to pay for private lessons, and others can't afford the "extras" like uniforms, accessories, transportation and etc., the public schools classes require.

The days of the 50s & 60s have past and cars, guitars and even some guys and girls are being replaced these days for newer, easier things and tasks, as well as gender sexual attraction and relationships. I agree that the things we baby boomers were wanting and attracted to are completely different than what younger people want now. To us they are valuable, to most of the younger people, they are boat anchors. Very sad. Even antique stores, second hand stores, etc., are not doing well. People don't want used. They want new, throw aways when they are done.

2. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I hang out at various local nursing homes hoping to pry vintage guitars from cold, dead hands but nothin' yet. Will let y'all know. Meantime Reverb seems to have a better inventory.:p

Black guard FSR and Shuster like this.
  3. Frank Entele

Frank Entele TDPRI Member

A d the same thing with the classic car market. The pre 1955 cars will suffer first and worse than say ‘55-73 kind of cars, but only because of movies where millennials see an Eleanor and have to have it (not because they remember it). Sad.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

The Affinity at the pawn shop is "broken" because it's missing a couple of strings.

While I know it varies by locality, around here in Outer Redneckia it is more likely to see pawn shop Squiers selling at nearly what GC sells them for. It's like they take the highest selling price on EBay and tack on 10 to 20 percent.

fos1 likes this.
  5. jageya

jageya Tele-Meister

Well said. I have been playing since i was a little kid and agree with all you have said. Younger kids are not satisfied with classic things and always seem to want new shiney stuff. Even in cars they will go into hock for a 2019 camaro(piece of crap) instead of get an older used car thats nice enough to get around(like a 2003 gti vr6).
    I wish i knew you as i would like to see your collection of amps and guitars and would appreciate seeing them.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I may have posted this before, and maybe even in this thread but here goes.

My grandson who's a great kid one day asked me to "show" him how to play guitar. I rounded up an electric guitar I had, pretty decent actually, and an amp. I took it over to his house and said here you go this is yours, and started teaching him the basics. After a couple of weeks he said, you know I thought you could just "show" me how to play the guitar, I didn't know I was going to have to do all of this work, maybe we could just forget this.

bsman likes this.
  7. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

There really isn't a lot new about that. Folks have been desiring (and expecting) instant gratificaiton for at least a couple of generations...

stevemc and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. jageya

jageya Tele-Meister

exactly my point. Neighbors here with kids 12-19 hire lawn service to cut grass and these kids wouldnt even cut the grass???????????? or do any chores i would bet. Anything physical is a turn off to them.lol. Except posing at the gym maybe,

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Nail on the head right there.

10. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Greggorios likes this.
  11. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I already have a Saturation problem right here at home:)

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I am a hard a$$. I would have then said: “I understand, and since you don’t need this guitar I’ll take it with me.” If the young person said “Why?”, I would reply: “Well, it occurs to me that you need to work for the guitar just to prove that you have it in you to work to develop the ability to play something on it. You obviously have had it too easy; and the world is a hard, hard place once you get out from under this protective umbrella that has been shielding you from reality. Playing the guitar is not the easiest thing in the world to do, but it is far fr9: the most difficult aspect of life with which you will have to contend. That lesson might serve him better down the road than all of the spoon-fed, helicopter parenting has up to this point.
    Here’s a true story. I gave lessons to a young man from the age of 13 until he was almost 16. When I told him I didn’t think there was much more I could teach him, he was already the guitarist in the jazz band at his high school....as a sophomore. Just to make sure about his ability, he brought me some of his music and showed me what he was up against and how he was dealing with it. I told him to go on an do what he was doing. He could build any chord that they put in front of him based on what I taught him. He is working on his degree in music and is one of the best guitarists in town...of any age. I learned later that there were a few times when he would cry as his mother drove him home. When asked why, he replied “Wally’s so mean!” Well, I wasn’t mean....and his mother knew that. I was simply direct and told him in real terms what I thought he needed to know..and I corrected him when he played in a manner that I thought was counter-productive. His father told me about a year ago...through misted tears in his eyes...how much he appreciated what I did for his son. His son can stand with anyone on any stage or bandstand...has been doing so since he was 16. He can go toe to toe with anyone on any basis whether it is playing or theorizing. Would that I had had someone who would have made me work so hard...and learn so much.
    Oh...and when he had those moments of frustration with my ‘meanness’, his mother would ask him if he wanted to stop taking lessons from me. He told her....in her words to me..”No, I’m learning too much to quit!” When the parents thank you for helping their child to that extent, it is special. They know he has received some little bit of help in getting ready for what will confront him down the line.

uriah1, P Thought, elihu and 6 others like this.
  13. brashboy

brashboy TDPRI Member

Yup. Even when the geezers have sold off most of their collections, there will still be younger guys wanting those guitars, but not nearly as many guys/gals as the boomer crowd (my crowd) and only at the prices the geezers paid way back. Vintage gear is a bubble market, driven by affluent baby boomers. Anyone not unloading the valuable stuff while prices are still good is going to be sorry.

RARITY + DEMAND

That is the key. And as demand (and ability to splurge on high-priced toys) falls off, so will prices. 59 bursts were ALWAYS rare -- there were never many. But they were not that pricey until DEMAND started to drive prices up. Now you could pay $500K for a good one. You could pay $1,200+ for a Harmony Meteor in really good shape.

I'm astonished at the people who think the vintage party is going to continue when the boomers are gone or at least out of the collecting game. The really rare, highly-sought stuff like the bursts will retain value better than most gear, granted, but there will be a tsunami of vintage gear that will not hold value well. Younger folks are right to lick their chops. If vintage gear drops far enough, will non-playing collectors come into the game again and bid gear up? Unknown and unknowable.

And not just guitars. Has anyone else noticed the piles of used tube amps at GC locations and other music stores? They are growing all the time as younger folks move to digital and at any rate away from heavy, huge big-wattage gear. The big-wattage heads and stacks, especially, are going into the toilet, since almost no one wants or needs them. Tube prices are coming down, even smaller stuff like 30w and under. It's a great time to be looking for used tube gear and prices are only gonna get better. Pedals, too.

If you love your expensive vintage gear, then by all means keep it, play it, love it, no matter how old you are. But if you are a collector or just don't play that gear anymore, this is the top of the market or very close to it. The old people who CREATED this market are dying every day in greater numbers. Our minds increasingly are on more important things than guitar gear.

stevemc likes this.
  14. vintageampz

vintageampz TDPRI Member

4-1-1, that happened about 15 years ago and the Clue is when a good Dozen of the once Only Made In USA Guitar brands started making many if not most of their highest volume guitar in China, Indonesia or India ... and that even includes PRS, Guild, Gibson (Epiphone crap), Gretsch, etc. The majority of "
    young people" are either to lazy to learn to play / create music on a real instrument or too busy in a fantasy world of Electronic game playing. A shame.

15. Wally

16. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Oh yeah. Forgot about this thread.

17. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

///

18. Wally

19. hltmd

hltmd TDPRI Member

Geezer here. 70 next March. Had to sell all my guns and guitars 6 yrs ago due to accident, lost job. Made very little money selling to music stores. Now trying to get a few guitars, and anything good is astronomical in price. Especially "vintage" stuff like from when I learned to play 55 years ago. Had black face super reverb and vibrolux, now cost thousands. 60's guitars worth thousands. Modern metal type guitars are technically cool...some of them, anyway....but I still like the stuff from our era. Guitar music isn't dying. Today there are thousands of technically outstanding guitarists...much more than we had. There is VERY little decent new music, however. Hope good rock comes back. After 60s and 70s music really tanked in quality

20. jageya

jageya Tele-Meister

yes stores and companies are charging way too much for stuff which is a trend and a sign of a coming bust.As is the housing market and commercial real estate market. RIGHT now i have a friend who repo's cars for banks and he is crushing it left and right with his tow truck: the repos happening are insane like back in 2008.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.