Guitar and Amp Market Saturation Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ArcticWhite, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Look forward to receipt. Prognosis pending analysis. Eeeehaw... hey, the last organ I saw was a cutdown B3 on tour with a group out of North Carolina. The organist is centered in Nashville. The organ was non-functional, and I did not realize until they unloaded it...and a cutdown B3 is still a load, right?.....that they were in town only for the show that night and rolling on. He didn’t need it for the show that night...this was just past mid-afternoon. Anyway, I opened it up, found the problem underneath the felt protecting the the wheel, figured out how to deal with the situation and got the organ back into operation. Sort of surprised myself, right???, since my expertise leans toward the destruction of organs!!, lol...
    It was interesting to see my first cutdown, to get to work on it, and to get it going in very short order for a touring group. The stars were aligned....

And....I need to get back to convincing the tone wheel mechanism in this white-with-gold-accent A100 I have that it is supposed to go around. It sat neglected for years before I got it. Both motors are good...need to rebuild some oiling threads. It is too pretty too tear up. It looks like it could have been Played by Liberace, eh??? Plus....I knew this organ back when I was 17 and was ‘going steady’ with a girl named Tonya...sort of a Shelley Fabares look-like....yeah, I am getting older than I ever thought I would be. The organ belonged to her grandmother. I bought it at an estate sale 48 years later...and then learned the history of the organ. Sometimes, you find it hard to tear things up. This one has a French Provincial cabinet...curved legs and edges. White with gold, I tell you that you have never seen the like!!! Eeeehaw..... An A100 is a full B3 with self-contained power amp, speakers, and reverb. You don’t need a Leslie cab to run it, but it does have the connections for the Leslie unit...preamp out out thing.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    P Thought and Mike Eskimo like this.
  2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I could have called you 35 years ago, when my communities music stores went from 3 to 1. Actually, its less than 1, because the store also handles generic shipping, a sign store, and a Verizon store. The owner clearly hangs on to the music segment out of sentimentality. Oh, and my community has doubled in that time...

I understand folks don't realize what has already happened, and that it happened a long time ago. We have such a huge library of music, that it seems disconnected. But most all that library is from the past. It took me a while to understand what had already happened too.

Wally likes this.
  3. Wally

Speaking of GONE......

4. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Did you oil it every six months?
    And you got a bargain - I paid twenty bucks for mine!

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Sell it? When I skim CL, it's a free for all of pianos for $0 with descriptions flouting the words "Free!" And "HEAVY!!!".

some offer $20 to take them. Its cleverly using the For Sale section to advertise Help Wanted.
    I'd take a B3 for free. Unfortunately, those aren't on CL. Or they're gone by the time I look....

Guitar sales statistics are typically slanted. I'd like to see ones that weren't biased. The only ones I can get unbiased correlations from are ones dealing with what sells the most units on reverb. Oh, and the study I think Fender did. It showed more females are buying guitars now than 10 years ago, and that used guitars sell more than new ones. Dont think they cited any sources though, but the new/used thing seems legit. I can buy 3 used Fenders for the price of 2 new ones, and can be 1000× happier with an amp that was new in the '60s than its reissue.......

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Only if you took the brown acid, Wavy Gravy

7. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Does that bit from Jekyl count as the musical saw making a comeback?

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I just keep wondering what happened to all of the strats made in the last 64 years. Shouldn't there be one in every closet of every man and woman on the planet by now?

Okay, not counting the hoarders on TDPRI, but still ... ?

9. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

I don't know where you live but where I live there are plenty of guitar stores, with a large selection and they all seem to make money.

10. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nope - that cut did NOT "age well" as far as I'm concerned.

Is it being pulled up for ironic purposes, or is there an actual demand for this form of recorded product?

Asking sincerely, not to troll.
    Peace - Deeve

11. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

It's a dance remix meant to be played in a club not listened to at home. They were all the rage for a while.
    There's even three authorized ones from Springsteen of all people.
    Including this one

Not to mention the truly odd Stanley Clarke version

12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Sure. And its a fraction of what was there 35 years ago. Hey, folks still make banjos, saxophones, and folks still listen to a LOT of disco. And, fur hats are still made for new retail. But the world economy will never be controlled by, driven to war and violence, by the fur trade like it was in the 1830's. And guitar prowess will never make the world stop and listen ever again.

13. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

File this thread under "old men grumping...." Like they are on the motorcycle forums, like they are on the old car forums, like they are on the stamp collecting forums.

I am in the midst of liquidating my father in law's stamp collection. A 50 year effort. It's a LOT of stuff. I know little about it, but know how to use the internet. Those folks will tell you the hobby is not dying it's changing. The auctioneer I talked to said it's 70 year olds selling to 60 year olds and such. I could go on and on, but they have the same concerns about collectability/value, etc.

My son has taken 3 years of lessons. He doesn't practice or play it for fun, I gave him my first guitar, and bought him an acoustic when he showed interest. He's on the cusp of high school, so maybe doing it for the girls might pique his interest. I'm more disappointed that he won't work on it, so we could play together versus the value of any of my stuff.

At the end of the day, ENJOY your stuff. Leave a plan for your heirs on what to do with it. <<<Please do this!!

Whatizitman and notmyusualuserid like this.
  14. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

There is no specific rationale for more expensive guitars. Most folks (professional and serious amateurs) would be satisfied with the American Professional models. However, many don't buy guitars to be merely satisfied. It's really no different than a finer car, boat, or bicycle.
    The prices aren't so high when you consider the price of the original Tele or Strat. In todays dollars a 52-54 Tele would be about $1900 or about the cost of an American Original Series Tele.

I don't care what the market will do. I'm set and I know I'll never get a reasonable return on any of my current guitars. I enjoy playing them and will do so as long as I'm physically/mentally able. After that, who cares? I've never thought they were investments.

I have a friend who golfs three days a week and takes several golf vacations each year. He probably spends about $6000-7500 per year to play golf. It's all relative (to what you can afford of course).

Kid Telecaster likes this.
  15. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

35 years ago was 1984 both Fender and Gibson were on the verge of shutting down. Today Fender is the largest Guitar company in the world with over 600 million in sales. Gibson does 300 million. The entire fretted instrument market in the US alone is over 2 billion with another 700 million in used instrument sales.
    Guitars aren't fur hats, yachts or private planes. Guitars sell period. Small retail stores in any sector have been hit by modern retail. Sweetwater isn't making 725 million a year selling candy.

16. claes

claes Tele-Holic

Yes it should. I sometimes wonder what happened to all the epiphone valve junior we all had a few years back.

Obsessed likes this.
  17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I always like to use the examples of golf, motorcycles and boating when my wife complains about my guitar buying.

ArcticWhite and burntfrijoles like this.
  18. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

My plan is to make sure my kids don’t have to deal with any of it. Unless of course they want any of it. I can say with a very high certainty that they won’t.

19. Wally

Yes, more guitars are being sold today than ever before. I will give a different look on the ‘candy’ thing. I do believe that many of the guitars being sold today are something akin to candy. There have never been so many inexpensive guitars in pawn shops, ime. With the cheap labor in Asia, these things cost less than ever before....so parents are buying them for kids who may never even touch the thing.....or they spend a little time in ‘School of Rock’ type of endeavor. All of that is a good th8ngm way moo, since it is good to expose young people to as much as one can. There is also the older buyer who stacks up one after another of these inexpensive guitars just because the guitars are so inexpensive that they have a ‘stable’...GAS, right? These guitars are very nearly worthless after the initial purchase as far as the market is concerned...one can be had for $40 or $50 at a pawn shop. Even the medium priced Asian-built guitars are plentiful in the used market. So, imho, the big retailers are selling a type of candy. The big advantage to the savvy buyer is that this type of candy doesn’t melt in the sun and can be used for years, and therefore one can buy a usable 8nsturment at a small portion of what it cost new IF they would only visit the pawn shop instead of the retailer. Why pay 4-5 times the price for something that could be had for next to nothing....in unused condition????
    Even when you get into the higher priced candy of American production, those can be had at very good prices. Never have so many clean guitars been available in good used condition. Buying new has advantages......one big one being the financing.

cgtrman likes this.
  20. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

band name alert

Kid Telecaster, SuprHtr and Wally like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.