Guitar and Amp Market Saturation Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ArcticWhite, Jul 17, 2019.

1. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

download.jpeg

Erdowonge likes this.
  2. claes

claes Tele-Holic

This has been discussed before here. Guitars will go the same way as sailboats and private planes already done.

3. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

I'm always curious about these threads when Guitar Center comes up. Guitar Center sold over 2 billion dollars of merchandise last year. It's the worlds largest retailer of Musical Instruments. Do you assume if they went bankrupt, the 2 billion dollars of consumers money will no longer be spent? That it won't be redistributed to other large vendors?
    As for the vintage guitar market call me when all the dealers start closing and the vintage instruments at auction stop selling.

4. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

Bermuda triangle?

Mark

5. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I didn't say in the '70's, I said since the '70's... it's been the same conversation about a flooded market ever since, and talk about falling demand. And I know about the 70's because I lived them :). And the 60's, for what that's worth, although I was pretty new to the game back then, having birthed as a baby in '61. :)

6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

You have a point, claes, but I think that while there is significant overlap in the way aircraft and watercraft markets work, guitars are very different. Sailboats and personal aircraft share a very high initial purchase price, very costly marina or airport fees, and specialized training, knowledge, and often a license to operate. Guitars are very inexpensive in comparison and playing one well enough for a backyard barbeque doesn't even require lessons. Sailboats and personal aircraft were always the play toys of the very well off and the very well off have found other ways to show off their wealth. Anyone can pick up a guitar and learn to play. Guitars are the play toys of the working classes, whether the work is in music, a factory, farm, or a profession. I believe the guitar will survive because it is a portable source of music and entertainment. It's really a go and play most anywhere kind of toy. Try bringing your Cessna or sailboat to that back yard barbeque.

7. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Meister

in the world i came from the guitar players names was all i knew...

now everyone these kids knows ....they 1st name is all DJ...

verb boten likes this.
  8. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Same in mind, i believe the price will reudce minimally each year. I have weird tendency to go just with new guitars, not buying used

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

LOL....It occurred to me that perhaps a guitarist could hit the rap market as a player and a poet with a name like DJ Stings....
    Well, that thought was fruitless. From 25 years ago.....

10. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

OHMIGOD that was painful. I made it through about 15 seconds and skipped to the middle. Ouch city.

Wally likes this.
  11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Yayyyyyy for data! The music trades link is great.

I understand that you can make music on your Mac. I also understand that my friends lesson studio is packed with 25 instructors teaching piano, band and combo instruments every night. There are many months where they sell 250 Ukuleles in 30 days. Teenagers still like to start easy instruments that they can sing along with. Those become gateway instruments.

It ebbs and flows and changes. I don't think it's doomed.

I wonder about high value old stuff. If you've already spent $200,000 on old Strats and Les Pauls at Chicago Music exchange then when do you stop? Will there always be a strong market for "old"? I have a newer D28. I'm the only owner. I don't want to spend $40,000 on a 1950's D28. I don't have $40,000 to spend and if I did I'd take the money and travel. Sometimes when shop keepers describe a slow down they're talking about really expensive stuff.

12. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So Right,,, and I'm about to "Saturate" my too large amp collection with another amp,,,
    I'm a sic puppy, and need to hit up GHA!!!,, Gear Heads Anonymous:oops:

13. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

It may encourage you to know that Guitar is as alive as ever... if not more, in Country Music.
    Try a few licks from the New Country or if you get a little bold there’s a guy called Brad Paisley that has been know to pick a bit.
    Don’t sell your collection just yet ;)

ArcticWhite likes this.
  14. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

Hitler was responsible for many terrible atrocities, but you can't blame him for Woodstock.
    Although, there were rumours that Albert Speer & Rudolph Hess were spotted backstage.

15. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Yep, country is definitely the final frontier of popular guitar players. Top 40 is all hip-hop, dj beat, trap, rap, and electronica stuff. No guitar heroes.

But country seems to adopt pop instruments on a 20 year delayed cycle. Wasn't too many years ago when country was played with an acoustic guitar, upright bass, NO drums, and a fiddle.

Here's the future of country.

16. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

It sounds better if you play it backwards!

ArcticWhite likes this.
  17. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I see all the th
    Please... no. It’s a common request at weddings.

18. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Guitars sort of follow the general economy as a whole.

They bring pretty great now because the economy is pretty healthy.

The bottom dropped out around 08 because the economy was so bad.

Things have been on a general rise since 08, both with the economy and guitars.

"A rising tide raises all boats."

verb boten likes this.
  19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How did I get my hammond M3 Organ ? You know, the very same Organ model Booker T played on green onions?

I offered to go over and pick it up - that’s how ! :lol:

It worked perfectly for about 10 years now but the last time I went to start it up nothing happened.

Wally what’s your address?

Be on the lookout for a huge box next week ...

If you spent $ 200,000 on a 58, 59 or 60 Les Paul standard you must’ve bought it recently because on a lot of them - they’ve lost half their value , or close to it.

50’s D28’s are $8-$15,000 but that’s up.

I remember early 50s D 28 for 3500 to 6 grand . That was only a blip ago.

20. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Except when they didn't, such as when banjos were the #1, or when saxes were the #1, or when pianos were the #1, or when violins the #1, etc, etc etc. We can't ignore the historical sales numbers for these and more. Its just the natural cycle. But hey, you can hope. Musical saw was considered a strong candidate for classical arrangements at one time. The national musical saw association is waiting and ready for a comeback!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.