Guitar and Amp Market Saturation Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ArcticWhite, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Anyone ever try to get rid of a piano? It is impossible. I tried for two years to sell an old baby grand. Finally was able to get $100 for it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  2. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

I sold a fully restored upright grand for 200 bucks. It was cherry, sounded gorgeous, new felt, etc.
    I paid 1400 for it, and owned it for 12 years.
    I was happy to get the 200.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  3. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Hey, anyone wanna buy a Hammond M101? A real tonewheel organ like a baby B3. Perfect condition.

$100?

Buehler?
    Buehler?

thegeezer likes this.
  4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Then I turned around and spent $500 on a used Roland keyboard....

5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Maybe some truth, maybe some sky falling. I can't say for certain either way.

But we shouldn't ignore the real demographic changes that are inevitable. I'm not talking merely about musical tastes. I'm talking about major cultural shifts away from what has been considered 'normal' for middle class aspirations. Post-War, middle-class land and home ownership is an historical anomaly that is rapidly disappearing. Vandwelling is on the rise, for example. At least for now, the DIY van conversion folks have friends' and family's driveways and tools to build their vans. But once they leave the nest, that's it. No room for storing and playing tons of music equipment. No room for welders, table saws, presses, and what not. Their hobbies, life styles, and work-arounds are going to be vastly different than my generation and older. That's to say nothing about salary stagnation, debt on the rise, and every other economic reality that will play a part.

Of course, not every millennial and younger is a vandweller. But it's a good indicator of where things are going.

I love aircooled VWs, and am finally getting to a place where I could once again indulge. But I've also seen the future, in terms of my older peers and family and what they are dealing with. I'm not sure I want ongoing car projects, and the rabbit holes that entails. I finally own a house and have some space, but I have zero shop tools. Not sure I want to start a collection now, in my late 40s.

I like being able to travel. The more simple and uncluttered my life is at home, and the less I spend on stuff, the more able I am to travel. Plus, when the day comes I need to unload stuff I no longer "need" and/or move, I've already done myself and my offspring a big favor by lightening the load. Approaching 50, that day could come sooner than later.

thegeezer, W.L.Weller and Mike Eskimo like this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not this exact conversation.

In the late 70’s there was not a “vintage market” that extended downward into the unwashed masses per se and what there was only included a handful of models.

Entirely different era.

BTW, the only thing I’m really talking about is the whole vintage market springing a leak.

GC ? The death of guitar in rock ? The death of rock ?

I don’t know nothin’ bout that or birthin’ no babies...

thegeezer likes this.
  7. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

Guitars aren't dead, they just aren't talked about any longer.
    The "artist" grabbing headlines now generally don't favor guitar heavy music, I wager there's just as many, if not more, guitarist than there were 30 years ago.

It's just the person getting all the coverage is some teen with a laptop instead of a guitar.

And GC is in trouble.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_Center#History

8. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

New information (to me - date specific)
    this board is an amazing resource.
    thx - D

Wally likes this.
  9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

You could pull the pickups up and look at the bottom of the pickup. As I understand it, gold PAFs were more likely to have been used past the transition date than were nickel covers.
    There are times when I wish I had pulled the three PAFs out of an ES-5 from 1958. The guitar didn’t bring what the pickups alone would have brought. But.....I don’t like to cannibalize vintage guitars.

10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Everything in that photo is beautiful.

11. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

Here's a report from Forbes about GC.
    It is a year or so old
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/pamdan...ter-plans-for-the-next-50-years/#13fbda0e6218

Here's a report on Music instrument sales in general. Up 7%
    https://www.musictrades.com/census.html

As far as Gibson, their guitar division has always been profitable and still is. Their problem was when corporate decided to buy a bunch of electronic companies to increase their portfolio size and thought (in error) they could turn these failing businesses around.
    Gibson remains profitable. It will be interesting to see what directing the new leader takes it in.

Facts tell a different story. Opinions are like, well you know...

studio1087 likes this.
  12. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Well shoot. I guess I'll head out and work on this house nobody will want when I'm gone. After that I gotta rip the greenhouse off a 73 year old airplane. Then I gotta list some saddles for sale. I'm sure to make money on them. None of this matters though. As has been alluded, things aren't gonna stay as they have been. 11 billion will see to that.

13. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Well shoot. I guess I'll head out and work on this house nobody will want when I'm gone. After that I gotta rip the greenhouse off a 73 year old airplane. Then I gotta list some saddles for sale. I'm sure to make money on them. None of this matters though. As has been alluded, things aren't gonna stay as they have been. 11 billion will see to that.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  14. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yeah! if you'll pay to ship it to me in FL :lol:

If not well... reach out to me next year if you're really trying to get rid of the thing. I have room for one... But no time to deal with that....

It would be way easier to just get a new midi keyboard.

In fact... that's probably what I'll do.

15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

i am weak for tearing those old organs apart. If I were nearby, I would get it out of your way and not charge you anything. (;^)

ArcticWhite likes this.
  16. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

As usual, I wonder "why does it matter?"

Anyone?

17. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

This brings to mind a old friend who made a career change back in the 70s from bike mechanic/store manager to piano tuner. We both lived in Houston and wanted to move to Austin. He moved even though it meant a 2/3s cut in pay. I don't know the situation now but back then bike shop pay in Austin was awful. Everybody and his uncle wanted to work in an Austin bike shop and, well, wages were low.
    Anyway, my buddy somehow figured out that he could tune pianos in Austin and make a comfortable living, as opposed to working for peanuts in a bike shop.
    Fast forward to the future. No more piano tuning for my friend. People seemingly no longer play piano.
    I can remember being offered as many pianos as would fit in my house - for free! Bring your own truck...
    Will truckloads of free guitars be the future? Who knows...

Mark

18. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

In which case the manufacturers might do well to stay away from the rock n' roll rebel motif. Rebellion and individualism are not really part of the Chinese psyche.

Tony474 likes this.
  19. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

That is funny - I almost bought a Trini Lopez about 30 years ago and have kicked myself ever since for not getting it. I still tell myself I'm gonna buy one one of these days, but the few I've seen for sale lately were actually pretty expensive!

20. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

I've retired a dozen organs, at least.
    But I haven't yet parted out a Hammond tone wheel.
    But I'm about to start. This one has the AO-35 reverb unit (Carmen Ghia - Dr Z platform) and a pair of Rolas.
    Plus tubes and an AO-29 etc.
    I can't sell it for 100 bucks but the parts are worth triple that.

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.