Guitar and Amp Market Saturation Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ArcticWhite, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

Look for geezers driving BMWs or Mercedes in your hometown that have Mesa/Boogie or other giveaway bumper stickers. Hang out at the places where such people are likely to congregate. I'm one of them and I don't know where that is unfortunately! Befriend an old rock and roll geezer and you just might get something out of the bargain. I know I act like a jerk most of the time, but... what were we talking about...

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  2. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

Glad to hear it, sincerely, my first car being a ‘65 LeMans with a 326.

But the difference is almost everyone was into cars and guitars in those days. They aren’t now. Those of you who are will get to pick over this stuff.

But 20k for a LeMans adjusted for inflation is about what one cost new. So in relative terms, that’s not expensive.

$2500 for an original BFDR isn’t either. They were pricey back then. That’s why a lot of bands used Silvertones until they got a few gigs under their belts.

Perspective has something to do with all this too.

3. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

Baby-boomers die off, markets flooded.

It's all Hitler's fault!!!

Eddie.

In fact you could argue that the baby-boomers that created the '60s' and all that are all as a direct result of WW2 'boomering' as caused by Hitler.
    So without him there is no Stones / Who / Woodstock etc.

4. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Economist see the same thing happening across many different markets. Housing and real estate in general pose the darkest scenarios. This is a world wide problem.

Musical instruments will be especially hard hit because of current trends with electronic techno music. Guitars and amps will suffer greatly. However, acoustic guitars, especially those of Steve Henderson type quality are doing quite well, and I think will continue to do so for some time.

Only the best of the best can be expected to be a sound investment, that will retain value or gain value.

Vintage muscle cars were the bleeding edge of this trend - expect to see not only our instruments to take a hit, but, all but the rarest of vintage investment grade of everything to weather this transfer of wealth as the economist strated calling it about 30 years ago.

Us boomers leaving are going to leave several generations with some very sad problems.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  5. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

band name alert

aging_rocker likes this.
  6. Skydog1010

This is an especially difficult " tip of the iceberg" topic to speak to without having fringe political comments entering into the conversation.

Dark days ahead for the popular music industry.

PLAY COUNTRY, BALLADS AND BLUES!!!!

Kid Telecaster and P Thought like this.
  7. Skydog1010

We've been using that term in the Technology sector for like 50 years.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Real guitarist . I’m just gonna take my own meaning of that and move on...o_O

There is a segment that , depending on which specific model within it you’re talking about, either remained flat or continued to appreciate all through the recession .

And to my mind it is the only one .

Pre-war flattops.

What happens in the future to the value of a $40,000 acoustic guitar ? These have been so strong I’m not even gonna hazard a guess.

Very related to that is a segment whose fall will be dramatic.

Acoustic archtops from the 30’s-whenever in the 60’s they stopped making them.

No one can play them correctly, they sound like *plink* if you don’t, and most folks have no connection whatsoever with them or the music they were used in.

Whoever is into them will be awash in archtops .

9. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

Guitar music is in hibernation until the youth of today wake up to the machine generated garbage they have been force fed. /rant

Oddly enough I don't think of resale value when I buy a guitar, buy it because I like it.
    And yep, I imagine all sorts of vintage gear will begin to drop, everywhere from garage sales to Reverb.com.
    So keep your eyes open and a pool of liquid cash nearby.

fos1 and Skydog1010 like this.
  10. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Been eyeing up the 56 lately..every one was into the 55 or 57..going to restore one soon for something to do in retirement..never thought would be going into that zone of cruiser vs lighter car..also digging 1959's . My buddy has a 59 caddy convertible that has been family owned since day 1. what a cruiser & look. dad & I keep looking at 59 impala's

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  11. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

This doesn't concern me, I like guitars, all of them. Cheap, inexpensive, expensive, import, imitation, whatever. If there is a mojo there is mojo. Can't take them with me, but I can hoard until I leave.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

People have been predicting the demise of Guitar Center/MF for as long as I have been posting here.

And in that time I would estimate that GC/MF has cut their guitar inventory by 50%. They just don't have the boxes and boxes of guitars they used to have, and Sam Ash, the same thing.

Meanwhile, I suspect a fair number of the guys here at TDPRI are retired from playing - these guys' only connection is their (silent) guitars and the friendships they have here. Others are, I guess, collectors and when their spouse convinces them to sell the motorcycle they don't ride either, they just buy 12 more guitars. My callouses are a mess because I didn't play at all from June 28-July 14. At all. Vacation, road trip. Although, having said that I really don't want to know who is no longer playing - none of my business.

Have you ever had a girlfriend who threatened to leave many times over a decade, or a boss who threatened to fire you 40 times over almost 20 years but never did? This Bankruptcy stuff is just something that's kept there, like a gun in a bedside table. It often ends up adding up to exactly nothing.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

PAF production ended sometime in 1962, iirc. The Trini Lopez model was introduced in 1963. If there are PAF’s in that Trini Lopez, you are a lucky man.

deytookerjaabs likes this.
  14. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

Attached Files:

ronzhd and Mike Eskimo like this.
  15. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wow, I hadn't realized that two weeks had gone by and it was time for another one of these threads :rolleyes:

Not for nothin' but I've been having this conversation since the late 70's when it was disco that was going to kill the guitar. Wake me when the funeral actually gets scheduled :)

16. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

It is to some extent unpredictable. I remember seeing a Trinin Lopez in the early 2000s for something like $500 and skipping over it. Then Dave Grohl started playing them and the price shot up.

17. Skydog1010

excuse me while I scream - "EXACTLY!" hope I spelled it correctly. ;)

Black guard FSR likes this.
  18. greasamizer

greasamizer TDPRI Member

One word would pretty much sum it up: Jaded. Between the used-stuff saturation, more being built, and just the 'ho-hum' aspect that is a part of proliferation, the world is rife for some change-or revert to some re-laundered, good ol' rockabilly and start over... Like when my daughter 'discovered' some 'new' song, and thought it was so hip (the song had been re-laundered probably several times in various format)...

19. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

This^^^^

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  20. Skydog1010

maybe now that retailers are closing in mass (en mass) and GC remains in the top of the anticipated if not expected store closures, it will come to pass, sooner or later. Gibson regrouping under one roof and grabbing at straws to stay alive. Fender flipping branding on products so similar we have like thirty threads talking about one of the most recent.

one will never if ever know - if not; never-ever knows, (fun play with words) what actually goes on in the backroom where the money is counted - that's all I'm gonna expose myself - with that line of thinking.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.