Guitar and Amp Market Saturation Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ArcticWhite, Jul 17, 2019.

1. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Something I've been thinking about for a while.
    Guitar music is becoming less and less popular. Fewer kids are picking up the instrument. Plenty of guitars are being made still, but it's clear that the makers are panicking a little. And our collections continue to grow.

But guitars last forever (and so do amplifiers.)
    The geezers (I'm halfway there) will all die off. Plenty of guys have pretty huge collections. The market is eventually going to be flooded with guitars and amps of all types, and values.

Basic economic theory says prices are going to be dropping, and only the rarest, most valuable instruments will maintain.

Just thinking aloud here.

2. Cerb

Cerb Tele-Meister

Yes, it's been a long time since I bought a new guitar or amp. Anything I want can be found used.

rich815, Southpole, Owenmoney and 3 others like this.
  3. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Man, I can hardly wait!

(saving my money...)

DekeDog, NewKid, BrandonIke and 7 others like this.
  4. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

I'm hoping to buy a '51 Broadcaster when they get down under a grand..

Jamie_h, Kreepy, Mosstone and 13 others like this.
  5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

The commercially made vintage guitars in my meager collection (a couple of Martins, a couple of Dobros, even an old Yamaha) have all appreciated significantly and all of them are very saleable today. I keep thinking I should sell off a few but my kids expect them to come down to them.

IMG_0184.JPG

I have sold a couple of my old cars (including the bimmer in the picture) and again, its amazing how well they appreciated, not to mention all the fun they gave me over the years.

I'm also going to predict that as tone woods become scarce the prices on these beautiful old guitars is going to go up even more.

fos1, studio1087, rze99 and 7 others like this.
  6. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

Not sure about guitar music dying. It's alive & kicking in my part of the World.

However, I agree about the longevity of guitars.
    Guitar companies complain about sales dropping, but there are still guitars around from 1950.
    They have yet to develop inbuilt obsolescence for guitars.

Guitar sales may be as healthy as ever, but not new guitars. Even a new, good quality gigable guitar can be had for £/$/€200.
    There's nothing much can wear out on a guitar that can't be fixed.
    My next guitar will be used. No point in paying full price.

7. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

Yup. We geezers could see this coming. Some of us have been selling off things of value for a while now and only keeping what we use.

Besides music related stuff, I got out of vintage airplanes a few years back. Same reason. Everywhere I went the pilots were all old. I sold out while there were still buyers.

The real crush of sales of geezer toys is still a few years away. Then, the real pricing pressure will become apparent. Music gear, vintage cars, all sorts of nostalgic stuff.

You can’t sell old guys’ toys to young guys.

Oh, and don’t forget what inflation does. Price appreciation? Maybe on really, really desirable items. My older guitars are worth 5 to 8 times what I paid for them. Inflation adjusted? I’m about even.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    nojazzhere and Flakey like this.
  8. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

As an Estate attorney I can tell you that we're all delusional.

Even 70's Strats and Teles are going for stupid money. Retirees are looking for guitars they couldn't afford as a kid and are over paying.

When they die all the distributees will care about is the money.

Something may APPRAISE at $5,000, but if there's a flooded market, good luck getting that price.

Value goes up when they are NOT in circulation.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

9. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Something tells me the partcasters I use can't fall much further in value.

The Norlin LP - well, I'm leaving that to my daughter or wife to sort out as executor of the estate (good luck, honey).
    The Trini Lopez, however - what's to be done w/ a commercial turkey like that?
    It's a perfectly fine instrument, and has successfully kept me from paying stupid money for "real" 335, but who is gonna actually pay something for it?
    Strip out the PAFs and sell them?

Not Wondering At All about the amps - they're all boat anchors, AFAICT

10. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’ll be gone and my equipment will be somebody else’s problem.
    Never bought any of this stuff with resale or appreciation in mind.
    Just like to play them.
    My mom left me a 280S no one wanted it. No market.

11. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

God willing I'll be here ready with an open wallet...

Obsessed, NewKid, bftfender and 3 others like this.
  12. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I read a while back that Guitar Center owns more guitars that there are guitar players world wide.
    They are going into bankruptcy and the market will be flooded while their stock is liquidated.
    We heard of this impending Tsunami for several years now without any tangible signs of it happening, but perhaps it will.
    If that were to actually happen as predicted, the market would be saturated for years, no resale value on anything.
    Sell now while you can. :twisted::cool:

Binx and Boomhauer like this.
  13. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I don't know if I agree with that conclusion. As a letter carrier, I have delivered a ton of guitar / amp parts and accessories over the past year alone. Some days it seems like everybody is in the hobby.

bftfender and nojazzhere like this.
  14. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I been saying this for a while. I'd guess I'm a good 20 years younger than the average member on this forum, and I've been making plans for when the amp market crashes.

When the price for tweed bassman (plural bassmen?) drops to 10 for $1 I'm going to sleep on a giant pile of them :lol:

15. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Original date of post: July 17th, 1975.

16. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

All it will take is a bit of marketing steering of guitar based popular music and the kids will be running to the stores again. All is far from lost.

aerhed, Alter and Asmith like this.
  17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

People have made multi million dollar deals on Wall Street based on less information than what is out there about the upcoming , and in some cases on going , collectibles crash.

There are a bunch of different factors at play but the biggest one is there will not be even a fraction of the people even interested in any of this stuff to buy it all and keep values up.

There’s soooooo much ego involved. On the part of the boomer vintage collectibles owners .

“Well of course young kids are going to be just as interested in what we were into and they’ll be clamoring to buy our stuff”.

Hell no.

For every anecdote you have about a cool nephew that really wants your 57 Chevy there’s 1000 kids that would rather have a tuner Japanese car no older than 20 years .

And Guitar and Amp Stuff is no different than other aspects of vintage collectibles .

I have a buddy that has been into high-end movie collectibles including the movies themselves for years.

In the last five years he has been able to purchase basically anything he ever dreamed of at prices that he never thought would go so low.

He has to rotate his collection because he doesn’t have the wall space for all the rare original posters he has now. Original mint full color lobby poster - gigantic - for creature from the Black Lagoon and some other ultra rare horror ones. Estate sales all.

Certain portions of the vintage instruments market will stay strong longer than others but - it will all fall.

And a ton of it will go to Asia.

Lastly, the very act of collecting anything is so antithetical to younger generations .

They don’t even want to own houses and in many cases - cars. They don’t want To work at a job for very long.

Experiences - not things.

Couple that with crushing student debt and that’s a huuuuge segment of society that would barely pull over if they saw a Martin headstock sticking out of a garbage can...

18. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

19. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Guitar Center would saw most of those guitars in half and toss 'em in the dumpster if it would make a bigger profit in the end. Stuff like that happens all the time in the manufacturing business. Supply and demand. They control the (new) supply to a large degree.

Flat6Driver and boredguy6060 like this.
  20. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

The market is saturated, and the makers have to keep making to stay alive. You'd think the big manufacturers would spend a little to develop new interest in the youth market. Sponsorship for up and coming artists; battle of the bands, rehearsal spaces, scholarships for jobs in the custom shop, and dare I say it, encouraging young women to take it up. Blooze daddies will not keep a market afloat for ever.

The downside? Young people tend not to want to sit in a bar or venue much now. They got an app for that.

Muinarc and hellopike like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.