guitar amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jdolecek48, Jan 3, 2020.

1. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 TDPRI Member

being that i live in an apartment being that i'm a rock/metal kinda guy that loves high gain...so... i'm trying to decide on small amps. i'm trying to decide. These are the amps that I like.....please let me know what you think...I could go with a Line6 Pod and use my studio monitors but I just love the amp kind of feel, anyway here are the amps that I' currently looking at...I just do not have any stored within 3-4 hours so that is why I'm asking you fine people.....ok here is my list....
    1. Blackstar ID:Core:10
    2. Vox adio
    3. Boss Katana-100( the 50 is out of stuck and will not be available for another week and I'm short on patience) I also wonder this 100watt has better options or if it sounds better.
    4. Orange Crush (but not sure if this amp would be good for chug-heavy rock/metal)
    5. Tech 21 Power Engine
    6. Peavey Vypyr
    7. Randall RD1h plus 1x8 cab but even though it would be a 1x8 cab with the dsl incredible sound it would ls ck bottom end but would it still sound bad ass being that it is a dsl?
    8. Marshall DSL 1 combo\
    9. I just found a Marshall DSL 1sx10 cab how bad ass would this sound? I have heard the DSL stacks but not sure about the combo.
    10. Marshall 1x12 MG Series
    Please let me know what you think. I'm on disability with a very limited income so having this type of money is extremely rare for me so i'm asking because i have to make this purchase right and it has to last. I also want to thank you in advance for your sincere thoughts and opinions

2. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

3. mugen74

mugen74 TDPRI Member

The Randall is good. I had the Marshall DSL5 and have played the DSL1. I’d go that route out of your list. More versatile to me. The Randall sounds good but I find it only makes that one sound good.

jh

4. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Tech 21 Power Engine is just a powered cab, no preamp.

5. mugen74

mugen74 TDPRI Member

I figured he was going to run his POD through it.

jh

Digital Larry likes this.
  6. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

FWIW, I have a Blackstar HT5C (5 watt combo) and have kept it a long time because (1) it nails low-to-high gain at all volumes, and (2) the 'emulated line out' feature works really well with headphones. That's a nice feature to have with neighbours/kids/etc. I haven't compared with the ID series but Blackstar would seem like a good option.

The Katana is a solid amp if you want versatility. You should be able to find all sorts of sounds you like from clean to high gain.

I would avoid any 1x8 cabinet as they tend to sound way too tinny. There are some practice amps with small speakers designed to project well in a small room (like the Yamaha THRs) but for actual speaker enclosures I'd go for a 1x12 or perhaps 1x10. YMMV.

kookaburra likes this.
  7. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Katana 100. Gig-worthy. Dirt cheap now that Mk 2 is out. The speaker is not as good as the one in the Katana Artist, but is still great. Also has Headphone jack in the back so you don’t get evicted.

8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

If you have a limited budget go get yourself a brand new Fender Champion 20 for a hundred bucks. Great sounding little amp with a bunch of built-in effects; I bought one last year because I was living in a small apartment.

I just took it to what was supposed to be a "quiet jam" last week and I was surprised at how well it held up against my friends' amps, both tone and volumewise. We got drummer loud, and it was still going strong at the end.

9. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Go Marshall DSl1 combo.

The regular Marshall DSL 40cr does exactly what your after and sounds amazing.

The combo mini should do as much too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.