1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guild T-50 Slim (hollowbody archtop), anyone have/had one?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by buster poser, Apr 13, 2021.

1. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

One's up for sale locally at less than current reverb prices. I've been searching for an archtop/jazzbox sort of thing for a while, and this looks great, but that slim body... I dunno. It would be mostly amplified, but I wonder if that hallmark tone is gone in favor of something "easier to play."

Anyone got experience with these they can share? Relative quality, anything to look out for in a used one, etc?

Here's one of a used demo, sounds nice enough here, but I have never seen one in a store or being played, so any info's appreciated.

nojazzhere, drewg and BorderRadio like this.
  2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Dunno about the Slim Jim, but I had an x175b when they came out, and the frets were super tall. Build quality was good though. Proper shielded wire and CTS pots etc.

buster poser and hemingway like this.
  3. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a '59 or '60 Guild T100D "Slim Jim" which I believe is a single cutaway, 2 Franz pickup version of the same basic Guild thin body as the T50. It was a long time ago and I wish I still had it. What I remember was that it was a very versatile guitar. As the fellow in the video said, it sounded great for blues and rockabilly type stuff in addition to Jazz. All of our ears are different but I think it covers a classic Guild Jazz box tone just fine. Maybe a slight bit thinner but that might have been the Franz pickups. I believe they were real hollow bodies rather than "chambered/block" construction.

Good luck.

Edit: Here's a link to a review of a 62' T100D that you may find of interest. In any case not sure what year the one you're considering was made in so that any of these comparisons may not really apply. As @loopfinding points out below if it's one of the more recent reissues it may be a slightly different animal.

https://guitar.com/review/vintage-bench-test-1962-guild-t-100dp/

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    buster poser likes this.
  4. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

i have a 66 player grade ce-100 (single pickup, not the dual) and i bought it on ebay a few years ago for 800 bucks. i think the newer guilds are getting into territory that may not always be worth it when you see some of the steals the old ones are let go for. you could look at ce/ca-100s or x/a-50s too - not thinlines, but i don't think it matters too much. seems like the deals on them pop up on ebay more than reverb. they are just as good as vintage gibsons. given the lack of love for them, i’d rather play the waiting game than pay more than mim standard prices for a new one. at the same time, i might be game to pay like 5-700 for a savoy.

drewg and buster poser like this.
  5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

I have a double pickup, Florentine cutaway version, the T–100D. Later style single coil pickups, white bobbins with chrome trim rings.

Absolutely outstanding guitar. One of the finest sounding hollow bodies I have ever played.

Imagine a Gibson 330, but with pickups that aren’t quite as heavily wound, and, IMO, a more attractive appearance.

The one you are talking about is quite a bit different, but the build quality should be there. Guilds of the time were comparable to Gibsons in that regard.

drewg, Greggorios and buster poser like this.
  6. buster poser

Nice, thanks everyone.

It's listed as a live backup guitar (bc its case is pretty beat up) and the player may be a guy from a national act who lives locally... I'm not a big fan, so the provenance doesn't really appeal to me, except for knowing that someone competent has owned it (and maybe had someone competent look after it).

New, they're the same price as my Jag was last year, so I offered that in trade. Might do it either way, as it's a couple hundred or so less than anything on Reverb.

Greggorios likes this.
  7. EsquireOK

I must have misunderstood. This is a newer one you are talking about? In that case, I take back my comments above. I was speaking of the old ones from the 50s and 60s. I did not know that that they had been re-issued.

I got the 1968 T–100D mentioned above from Sam Ash for $700 with a hard shell case, about five years ago. Player grade, but 100% original, except for the hard case, which was a nice, new TKL thinline case that retailed for almost $200 in its own right. For what these new Guilds cost, and how mediocre they are compared to what they used to be, I wouldn’t touch them with a 10 foot pole. I would save a little more and buy vintage instead.

Greggorios and buster poser like this.
  8. buster poser

Yassir, it's a newer-ish one, my apologies... should've been clearer, didn't realize this carried the same model # as the old ones. I understand these "Newark St Collection" models are Korean made and of decent quality. New they were $1,100, this guy wants $700. Lowest I saw on Reverb was $875, though that means little of course.

Good lookin' out anyhow... it's not exactly what I'm looking for but might scratch that itch. For the same coin, maybe an Artcore or something is a better gamble.

9. EsquireOK

Guild is kind of like G&L Tribute right now. Their stiffest competition is their own vintage market. Why would someone pay the money they are asking for the brand new imported version, when they can get a non-depreciating, much better built example of the real deal for the same or only slightly more money, with a case?

When the Tribute line started out, it was a great bang for the buck, especially on the used market. Decent quality, with a well-built gig bag included. But the prices have gone up, the quality has gone down, and the bags are no longer included. Now they are up against their own vintage and used US model market…which easily wins.

loopfinding and buster poser like this.
  10. drewg

drewg Tele-Meister

I haven't played one, myself but I was long intrigued by Guild Starfires (with a middle block) and the Slim Jims (hollow body). I had forgotten my GAS, but now you've brought it back. Thanks.

I played a 60s Starfire I loved and should have bought, and briefly owned a '97 Starfire with "hotter" pickups that I just didn't bond with. I like the vintage Guild pickup sounds. The Starfire I owned had a mahogany body and I was told it was a little warmer, the maple a little brighter.

I'd really like to own any vintage Guild archtop. Those Slim Jims are beautiful guitars! I'd go for it! Send us pics if you do, please...

11. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I own two vintage Guild archtops (X175, X50), and have owned two of the newark street archtops (X175B, Aristocrat).

I too was curious about thinline non-cutaway hollowbodies, based on spending time with a friend's vintage ES-125T. So of course this Newark St. T-50 was on the list to try. I was a little hesitant. Wondering first, how good a sound could come from a cheaper hollowbody. Also, would the RI Franz p/u cut it in that guitar? They're worthy p/us, but not really the same as the vintage ones. Louder, not as warm.

One other candidate on my list was the Epiphone "inspired by" Century 1966. Just traded into one last week. Con: it could use a fret dress, sanding fret sprout. And that happens to be something you probably would not have with the Guild T-50. My experience is, the NS guitars come well set up. Pro: Everything else. The unplugged sound from the Epiphone is suprisingly loud, has real depth. Plugged in, the P90 is outstanding. Sounds better than I expected.

This guitar has 25.5 inch scale, which changes the deal tonally. So not exactly equivalent to the newer T-50, but close. If you get a chance to try one, do it. Nice instrument.

12. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a mid 60s Guild T100. I bought it at a yard sale for $125! Guilds in the sixties were extremely close to Gibson in build quality. I wish I never sold it. Great rhythm guitar sounded ok unplugged.

drewg likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.