1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guild Starfire I

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by blowtorch, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Yes, they are.

To add to this discussion: I bought a Starfire V in 2018 that I'm mostly happy with.

Mechanically, it's a delight. All I've had to do is adjust the truss rod, relieve some stickiness in the nut and make a small adjustment to get rid of the Bigsby creak. The finish is gorgeous and the fretwork is spot on.

Electrically, it hasn't been as good. The pickup switch has been very finicky and all five of the pots have shown some scratchiness that went away with exercise. I'm not looking forward to the fishing expedition to get all of that stuff out and back in for cleaning or replacement. Guild seems to have gotten the pickups wrong, too. They're not wound the same as the originals and sound different; the bridge pickup is particularly weak relative to the neck. (Gary Donahue talks about that at the bottom of this page.) Radioshop in the U.K. has figured out how to re-wind them to the 1965 spec, and I may send the set out there to have it done.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Really wish I could find a white one at a bit of a discount.
    A reverb seller (just GC) had a returned one that, they offered me somewhat of a deal on, and I regret not taking it

3. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

It's been a while since I've played the import Newark St archtops, but my impression is much more favorable, especially when compared to the 60s or 90s Guilds. In some ways, I like them better.

They're built lightly, like the 60s ones, but the necks are wider. The 60s-80s Guild archtops I played were beauties, but the necks were much, much skinnier than I like.

The 90s archtop models I tried (like the '97-99 X-150D I owned) were gorgeous, the build quality outstanding and the necks were plenty wide enough for me (about 1.7" on my X-150). And they were a tremendous value, going for around 1/2-2/3 what a comparable ES-175 would run. But they were built so heavily, it had a really different, much more electric vibe going on compared to the earlier or later Newark St models. Kind of like when Gibson went from building their ES-175s light as a feather in 50s and 60s to the much heavier 70s and later ones.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

See that's the thing. My ideal guit has come to be a thin-bodied archtop.
    Now granted- I've got at least 5 that qualify there :rolleyes:, but...

I love that these are super light, and I also love the idea of the splittable buckers; on the clips they sound a lot better to me than most split buckers do

Last edited: May 14, 2021 at 11:07 AM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.