Guild 55 vs Martin D28

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Westreverb, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Hey, Bill! You still hanging out here? Can't you think of ANYTHING better to do?

It was and is a '71 D-28, and it's mine. '71 was a great year: all of the sound of a sixties Martin and none of the grossly inflationary collector cachet.

I could use another amp camp. I got started on my first build last year and am in a rut so deep daylight is just a slender sliver of blue high above me.

But you'll be glad to know we got a new set of smoke detectors - including one for the basement for when I'm soldering!

2. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I will agree, you have to buy the best as it sounds to you, playing as well as feel.

I had a Collings D2H, very much the best guitar that I had ever had my hands on. My opinion, build-quality way better than Martin. However I just couldn't get on with the neck. I tried and I tried, got to the point it was my best guitar to look at but I just could not enjoy playing it. It was my problem, not the Collings, just a stunning guitar.

At Kaufman Kamp last June a vendor had a Huss & Dalton TD-R "Pilgrim" at his display. Love at first sight. I don't even like the looks of torrified guitars. But I had sold the D2H and a Guild F512 (another I loved to look at but just couldn't get into playing...my problem) and SWMBO'd said "Put it on your credit card." GAWD, I love that woman! :):):D Its the guitar that I always pick up now...

But this brings us back to, GET THE ONE THAT SOUNDS GOOD AND FEELS GOOD TO YOU!

PS: And though very much a zombie-thread, Charlie, SET UP THAT WORKSHOP! :D

PSS: I must add another thought. Very much comes down to what style of music you are playing...singer/songwriter, fingerpicker, the Guild D55 should be on your short list...bluegrass? Unless its maybe the D-50 or DV-52, not the best choice...too "balanced" a tone.

And yet another: BIG difference between an HD-28 and D-28, mostly due to the shaved braces in the HD-28 and the straight braces in the D-28. Each is good, but you have to decide what you are looking for...both are bluegrass guitars. If you hafta, hafta have a "strummer," look at the D35...but still try out a Guild ;)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  3. Charlie Bernstein

The Guild. Short of a booteek handmade instrument, the D-55 is as good as a flattop gets. To me, Guilds play, sound, and look better than the other major brands.

Comparing flattops to electrics:

- A Martin flattop is like a Les Paul: balanced, full-ranged
    - A Gibson flattop is like an ES-335: loud, resonant
    - A Taylor flattop is like a Paul Reed Smith: stylish, predictable
    - A Guild flattop is like a Tele: twangy, expressive

Since TDPRI is Teleland, you're probably a Tele person. The Guild and you would get along great.

And keep in mind that Martin and Gibson make you pay for their names!

4. Charlie Bernstein

Yikes! Fell for it again! A 2011 thread! That I've already answered.

Sheesh . . . .

5. Bill Ashton

Did he ever tell us what he bought?

...and Charlie, still waitin' on that Amp Clinic ;)

6. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Every time I hear people playing those amplified dreadnaughts, I wonder why they don't choose different guitars. There is no excuse for all that booming and muddy bass. My Gibson slope shouldered J-50, my Guild F-47, and many other guitars are just as loud on the middle and high strings, without the blurry boom. Martin's non-dreads are great also.

7. Charlie Bernstein

That amp clinic was so far over my head I couldn't even see it!

The D-28 is gone. Decided the Guild is my Forever guit. That plus two mandos, two resos, three electrics, and a brace of harps keep me busy enough.

Still trainspotting?

8. Bill Ashton

Charlie, reading over all these posts I seem to have missed it, you have a Guild? Good for you! Love my New Hartford D55, feel it's better than the Tacoma-build I started with, have to put it in will for my son, LOL.

Haven't chased trains in a long time, though not disinterested, wife and I have been on a few short-line trips plus one long Amtrak voyage since my retirement...out to Seattle and Wintergrass...see how I got this back around to acoustic guitars? ;)

PS: Went back and found it, a D-35, nice!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  9. Charlie Bernstein

Since this is a 2011 thread, I doubt if anyone will mind that we've hijacked it. Like stealing an abandoned car: There's got to be a statute of limitations!

Yup, I'm on my second Guild - my Forever Guitar, that above-mentioned '76 D-35, hot-rodded with Grovers, a K&K pickup, and bone saddle, nut, and bridge pins. I've had Gibsons and Martins, which ranged from good to terrific, but I've liked Guilds the best.

The Bernstein Guitar Acoustic-To-Electric Equivalency Chart:

Gibson humbuggers = Martin acoustics (balanced, loud)
    PRS electrics = Taylor acoustics (youthful, stylish)
    Strats= Gibson acoustics (all-purpose)
    Teles = Guild acoustics (expressive, twangy)

Wintergrass sounds like a blast, expecially via Amtrak. I once took Amtrack from Boston to Seattle to LA to San Antonio to Charlotte to Boston. Whew!

10. Bill Ashton

:):):)

Well, we've been waiting for the past several years for Guild in Oxnard to have an open house like the Lets Meet Guild fete's they had in New Hartford, and Sirkku and I would be on Amtrak so fast! Take the routes west we haven't done yet.

But then, they haven't invited us (Lets Talk Guild) yet so they probably won't, sadly...

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  11. Charlie Bernstein

Just speaking for me: because I like dreads. Simple! Got no time for those skimpy little whatchacallits.

It's not too hard to roll off the bass and push up the mids. Then it sounds just like a guitar.

Harry Styron likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.