Guild 55 vs Martin D28

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Westreverb, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Westreverb

Westreverb Tele-Meister

Thanks guys
    Great info
    I really like both guitars for different reasons
    Really like the Guild for it's even sound and it's great to play
    The Martin is a little louder and has a cool bassy sound but does not have that even ring of the strings
    Will play a few in different shops now just to get a better idea
    Both really nice guitars
    Will let you know when the moment arrives
    Thanks for all opinions

2. Bignemo

Bignemo TDPRI Member

I love the Martin,of course I'm a little slanted because I'm only a couple hrs.from the factory. Great heratige,local buisness Icon. But whatever feels and sounds best to you is best for you.
    Good luck and happy 50'th.

3. Sacdubro

Sacdubro Tele-Meister

+1 Martin

4. Westreverb

Westreverb Tele-Meister

Played a really nice D-28 today
    Really loud even tone
    Very impressed!!
    Definitely different to the first 28
    There wasn't a Guild in this shop so I went back to shop 1 and had another strum
    Such a nice tone
    Still haven't made a decision but with both guitars such a joy it will definitely come down to my favorite playability and sound.
    I know that which ever guitar is picked it will be a great thing to pass down through the family .
    Thanks for all the birthday wishes and opinions

5. JohnnyRebKy

JohnnyRebKy Tele-Meister

Thats gonna happen! I wanted a HD28 and never could find one that wasnt all thump and no ring. Then a d28 that was big on bass but was weak on the sparkle. The third came fresh out the box new from the factory. I tuned it and perfect belly moving bass, and the highs sparkled and rang like a harp! Perfect balance. Every guitar has a personality. Keep playing them till one really grabs you as perfect. Its out there. Then give it a few years to mature and u will have a real cannon.

6. duncan121

duncan121 Tele-Meister

I own two Martins D28, D41 and a Guild D40...The Guild more than holds its own against the Martins. Build quality is excellent and the price was a wonderful value. As previously stated by others, all acoustics should be played and judged individually.

7. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I know that a Guild D55 is not usually considered a "cannon" or a "banjo-killer," but last night I put on a set of GHS Bright Bronze (made up a bluegrass-gauge set from two packages) and it certainly seems as though it would fit that moniker now! Loud and proud, but not strident. Good thing I am normally a finger style player now, as wife and daughter would be telling me to "turn it down!" (a comment known all too well from my electric forays...)

8. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

+1 on the playing many guitars. Same guit, same age don't mean it's got the same sound. My goal is a D-41, but I'd also settle on a good sounding D-18, HDV-28, D-45........... , about any Martin that has "that sound".

9. duncan121

duncan121 Tele-Meister

Motwang....my D41 is splended and easily my favorite acoustic among my 4 fairly high end acoustics..It is not a banjo killer...it is a much more mellow, balanced, and sweet guitar than my D28, Guild D40, or my Taylor 814...Always keep in mind that a guitars playability fitting your style of play is as important as its build quality. As brilliant as my D41 is it wouldnt be my first or even second choice for a bluegrass gig..

10. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

I agree 100%. My point is that regardless of what model a person would choose, how that particular guitar sounds to you is what is important. I just have had a crush on a D-41 since I was a teenager. I play a little bluegrass, mainly country, and some "folk" sounding music. Flat picking or finger style, I just like a good song with a good sounding guitar to listen to, acoustic or electric. Different guitars do sound better for different things, sometimes a dread, sometimes a concert style, sometimes even a classical played with a pick (Willie Nelson) can make the song.

11. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

I play a '97 Martin D40. I bought a D28 as a beater for road use. After playing the D40 for so long, I sold the D28 because it couldn't hold a candle to the 40.
    My 40 is a banjo killer and can be bassy, but really, you have to learn to play it right. Once you know where to go heavy and go lightly, you're good to go. It has the sweetest tone of any guitar I own.

12. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I have an old Guild D-55 from the 70s and I have a Martin D-41, which is a fancy D-28.

They are both great guitars (the Guild has very low action, regardless of what is said here) but the sounds are so far apart that it really comes down to personal preference.

I would steer clear of any post-Rhode Island Guild guitar but a nice old D-55 is a great instrument.

13. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie Tele-Afflicted

I would recommended checking out New Hartford Guilds. They are really well built and sound great!

14. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Holic

Without knowing your style of playing or what guitar model you are used to, I would recommend that you ensure that the D28 is comfortable to chord between the 5th and 10th frets.
    The reason being that most Dreads have a 16" fretboard radius, and only a few have a 12" radius. The 12" is generally more comfortable to play depending on your style and size of hand.
    I think the Guild you mention may be a 12" radius, but the D28 is 16".

I have a D28 on which I play 50% of my acoustic material.
    The other 50% I use an old Aria Dread that I've had since 1968. It's tone is nothing near as nice as the D28, but I can really relax playing it.

I recently tried a Gibson J45 which is also comfortable with the 12" radius.
    So if you haven't checked the comfort above the 5th fret, then I recommend you do.

15. Westreverb

Westreverb Tele-Meister

Thanks Oldguitplayer
    I'll pay close attention to the advice above as I didnt literally know the diff gauges but could feel a difference between the 2 guits

16. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Martin D-28

17. bridgepinSr.

bridgepinSr. Former Member

Why limit yourself to just two guitars there are many great guitars being made today go out and play as many as you can, you will find the one that works for you.

enjoy your search

18. afimedia

afimedia NEW MEMBER!

Guild D-55 vs Martin D-28

You obviously have never played a Guild. I own several Martins; a D-18, an HD-28, a D-41 Brazilian, and a D-42. Each and every one of them came with a very high and stiff action that I had to have set up by the local Martin tech.

I also own several Guild guitars; an F-50, a D-50 and the D-55. They are heavier than any of my Martins, but they are also not as fragile as my Martins and the weight really isn't that bad. The neck dimensions of my Guild D-55 compared to my Martin D-42 are both 1-11/16" at the nut. Each of the Guilds came set up ready to play, straight from the factory, with super low, almost electric guitar close actions. The actions are buttery smooth, and lightning fast, with absolutely no buzz. All of my Guilds are incredibly well balanced, infinitely easier to play and sound every bit as good as any of my Martins (as bad as I hate to admit it, considering how much more expensive my Martins are) and my Guild D-55 is a cannon - it blows away every Martin in my collection, even my D-41 Brazilian and my D-42.

My Martins, beloved as they are, are fragile and I have had problems with several Martins in the past with bindings separating (on a D-35 and on a D-28 that I previously owned), and currently some warping on one side of the D-18, even though I keep them in a climate controlled environment. On the other hand, my overbuilt Guilds are rock solid. They are the ones I travel with and play most often. I have had absolutely no problems out of them.

As for the wide heel shape, I'm with you. I like the "looks" of the heel on my Martins much better. However, even though the heel on my Guild is wider than on my Martin, it is also a lower profile than on my Martins, allowing me better reach for my smaller hand when I get down toward the 12th fret. The shape of the heel has never caused me any problem. If anything, I like the playability of it more than my Martins.

It all boils down to personal preference, but dollar-for-dollar, you won't find a better-built or better-sounding acoustic guitar than the Guild D-55. The one guitar I have on my guitar stand in my living room is my Guild D-55 Sunburst. Awesome guitar in every respect!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  19. jbdrumbo

jbdrumbo Tele-Holic

Old thread - nevermind.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  20. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

Ginger v. Mary Anne

I've been a Martin fan for a long time, and while their 0, 00, and 000s are incredible guitars, the best dread I've ever played is my plain, simple 1972 Guild D-25.

But the choice between a Guild D-55 and a Martin D-28 is like:

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.