Guild 55 vs Martin D28

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Westreverb, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Westreverb

Westreverb Tele-Meister

Coming up to a big 5.0. And I thought I would treat myself for the oncoming older years and buy a beautiful acoustic that I would not only enjoy but pass on to one of my kids when I pass on
    Played both today at my local store and wow!!!
    Really can feel and hear the difference to anything else I've played
    They are both incredible guitars and it's a nice problem to have
    So I put it to the forum
    If you had to choose between the two ICONS which would it be??
    P.S. At the moment the Guild is ahead buy a bees dick

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

It of course is your choice, I have always been put off by Guild dreds, due to their weight, the wider neck heel/join and high action...they feel 'overbuilt' and harder to play by comparison to Martins. They sound wonderful. But an HD-28 just seems so responsive and alive as does a nice D-18.

3. braderrick

braderrick Tele-Afflicted

Ya know I love my HD-28V and my old D18 but I can't give ya advice on this one because I can't think of a time that I have played a Guild 55.

To me, if it (the Guild) sounds good to ya and plays good to ya, over built is a good thing. Maybe you won't have to worry about the top pulling up and stuff. Some say a McPherson is overbuilt and mine is quite heavy, but heay it sounds good/plays good and its kind of a better feeling knowing its overbuilt.

Also I've always liked the look of a Guild, and I don't know anybody who has one which is another draw for me. Seems everybody and their brother has a d28 (for good reason I know but). Anyway, it just seems to me that you prefer the Guild and I say go for the Guild!

Keep us posted on your decision.

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have a D15 and one of my goals is to have a D28 some day.

I've played my D15 for about 11 years now and it has opened into a cannon.

The tone. feel, history and family heritage in the Martin brand means a lot to me. The 28 is the most copied guitar on earth. If immitation is flattery then the D28 is the most flattered guitar ever.

I would choose the D28. It's an easy choice for me as a Neil Young and CSN fan. The D28 is the acoustic.

5. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The D-28 is easy to sell if need be. Also a D-18 is a good lead guitar at a good price. Good luck and 50 is a milestone for sure.

6. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

I find that D-28s have a dull, thuddy sound while the Guilds have a loud, balanced sound with clear, distinct bass. I like the field of the Guilds too.

Jim

7. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Either way, you're going to love your 50s! Happy Birthday.

8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

^^^Yup! On my 50th, a bunch of (very generous) friends all got together and bought me an Epi Dot 335 and the $$ to put Gibson pickups in it too! (they knew I used to own one, and wanted one again...)

9. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

Can't speak to the new ones but the Westerly-made Guild D-55s are the loudest flippin' guitars on the planet.

cnlbb and Chick-N-Picker like this.
  10. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie Tele-Afflicted

I've been to the New Hartford Guild Factory twice and am very impressed with the company under Fender's umbrella and the quality of instruments they are building. The craftsmanship is exceptional and when I was there the last time with a group from another forum, they had around 40 brand new Guilds all set up for us to play. They were great. I have plans to get one sooner or later.

for my 50th I had decided I wanted to get a really nice acoustic, so I went around and narrowed the choice between a Gibson J-200 and a Hummingbird. I took my wife with me to Guitar Center to try both models out and then we went to the mom and Pop store that I usually buy guitars from, told my wife - "I like them both - you surprise me!" and the nwalked away so she could talk to the salesman. Surprise me she did - I got both at my 50th birthday party. :D

11. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Well...

I am a Guild junkie...and I too have been to the New Hartford factory a couple of times.

I own a Tacoma-built D55...having played a recent NH-built D55 in a local store, I think it has a nicer neck and is very slightly lighter. It is my understanding that the newer Guilds have had some re-engineering done which is a good thing. The thought that comes to mind when I play mine with new strings is "balanced," not bassy, not shrill, just "nice."

My brother owns a late 90's D28. Does not sound like the Guild. Feels very "tight" to play. He loves it dearly, but covets my Guild. I do not care for his guitar (though I have played a similar age D18 that was incredible!)

A Guild D55 is like a conservative Martin D41...not quite as much bling. A Guild D50 Traditional-Series is more spartan like a D28, but has an Adirondack Spruce top (more better? D55 has Sitka Spruce), though on some the grain is rather wide.

My pick at the first Guild open house was a D50 Standard (Sitka Spruce top I believe) or D40 Standard...the second visit I was into 12-strings so really did not sample much else.

Play many guitars. All makers have some greats and some dogs. The thrill of the hunt is half the fun! Good luck :lol:

12. dconeill

dconeill Tele-Afflicted

Most bees that you see are infertile females, so it sounds like the two guitars are really in a dead heat.

I would buy the Martin over the Guild, but with the expectation that it will take years to open up.I'd also buy an OM rather than a dreadnaught.

I'd probably get a Taylor before either of the ones you cited, especially if I wanted it to be sweet right away.

But if an heirloom is what you're looking for, the Martin is the obvious choice.

13. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Interesting...
    When I bought my Guild D-40 for 300$ in 1978 I'd played all major brands.
    Band members had Martin D-28 (I think) and a Guild D-50 (loved that one).
    To me...the Martins were always comparatively 'thuddy' in sound.
    When I put my Guild 40 in my fat hands the sound was clear and it projected better overall.
    Gibsons were a bit tinny to me.
    These are subjective assessments in many cases (as with choice of monitors) but all the comments here are good for someone to know if getting ready for a purchase.

Happy Friday....carry on...

14. rjes

rjes Tele-Meister

with the awesome guitars you's are talkin' about...it's like splitting hairs...love to have any of them !!!!!!!:D..my playing doesn't deserve them...but then then again I see a lot of people owning fine automobiles..that can't drive a lick..!!!:D:D

HappyHwy1owner likes this.
  15. JohnnyRebKy

JohnnyRebKy Tele-Meister

D28!!!!!! Picked up a brand new d28 in june 2011 and took it home. Spent months scouting guitars to spend my long saved money on. I loved the loud, tight, and super balanced sound of the standard 28. Has loud strong rythem, and cuts through the crowd on some lead flatpickin". Not to mention a Martin D28 is a pure american icon. Hank williams Sr, elvis, george jones, and many many more have proudly used a d28 as guitar of choice. It plays it all! Cant go wrong with it. Take your time and find the pick of the litter and happy pickin :)

16. kingfish

kingfish Tele-Holic

I bought the D-28P and experienced the thuddy sound and the bass totally overpowering everything to the point of not liking it at all.

It was not nearly as exciting even as my old cheapo Alvarez Regent with it's chimey bell-tone highs.

I was really not prepared to spend years to make the guitar open up and even considered buying one of those electric vibrators that are supposed to 'break in' guitars. Or selling the guitar and starting over.

That was 6 months ago.

But I hung in there- picked up the guitar daily - and have been playing the living $#!+ out of it. This has improved not only my playing skills, but building up the calluses as well.

Yesterday I handed it to a friend to play. I couldn't believe how balanced and bright it has become!

The guitar now sounds like I always though it was supposed to.

I did try both Martins and Guilds before buying the Martin, but I didn't get one off the wall at GC that had been pawed over. I ordered one air mail.

Turns out I got a really good one, according to my ears. The thing has really come alive!

17. Westreverb

Westreverb Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the great opinions so far
    I agree with many as it is a very personal taste thing
    A great problem to have but I have to say playing $1000 to $1500 guitars for many years I can really hear and feel the difference in these beautiful instruments and have been throughly enjoying trying them out to buy when I can make up my simple mind.
    I sometimes think that with the amount of time and money that I have put into guitars , I should have bought one in my younger days and played the hell out of that.
    I might have even become a better player......NAH!!! lol;

18. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Everyone's pick for you will rest on their personal choice, and for me it would be the Martin. Try an HD 28 if you get a chance, as an alternative to the D 28.

Whichever you end up with, you'll have a happy birthday!

19. JohnSS

JohnSS Tele-Meister

I think you'd have to compare the individual models in question, not just the generic types. 2 D-55s or 2 D-28s could be just as dissimilar as the D-28 vs the D-55. I think Guilds are grossly undervalued, thus the D-28 will have better collector's value. However, I would buy the guitar that feels and sounds best to you both as a player and as a listener (when you hear someone one else playing it from a few feet away) and judge accordingly.

20. fritz_d_cat

fritz_d_cat TDPRI Member

Both great instruments. If money is at all an object, get the Guild, you won't be disappointed. I've had my D40 for 36 years and it thrashes Martins all the time, but you'd expect that of a well used and maintained 30+ yo guitar.

Let's say it's all about the tone. If you prefer rosewood tone, I think the Martins will win. If you like mahogany, IMHO the Guilds have the tonal edge, there.

Setups and playability very comparable on both recent model axes. Guild necks are a lot like most strat necks. Super easy to adapt and to play.

1964 D40 in heat of battle...

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.