Guess Who Has A Fake Gibson SG?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by dsutton24, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

I thought this shop was part of a chain. Could be mixing it up with another thread.

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The shop is part of a chain.

3. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Maybe in the world of common sense. I'm no lawyer and haven't spent much time on the system, but legal slam dunks have a way of bouncing off the rim.

They would not necessarily fold and default over $800 though. I had a plumber threaten to take me to small claims court over $600. $800 is enough for a small business to fight over.

I'm not saying he won't win. I'd at least take some action as outlined in a previous post. But I'd go in on principle knowing the odds are against me. For God and the Queen!

4. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I agree that the law would be on your side if you can produce a receipt that says, "Gibson". Since it's a store and not a private party sale they have some responsibility for knowing what they're selling, in my opinion. As a chain of pawn shops presumably they would be expected to have a certain level of expertise in appraising the authenticity of a wide variety of things. I don't think ignorance would an excuse in their case. However, as pointed out, having the law on your side and actually prevailing are two different matters.

It would also be interesting to know what is printed on the receipt. For example, there may be fine print at the bottom with various disclaimers that may or may not hold up depending on your state and local laws. Lots of companies and people write all kinds of disclaimers on contracts, but many of those disclaimers turn out to be illegal and are therefore null and void, utterly meaningless.

But what if, for example, if you look closely at the receipt and they wrote down that they sold you a "Chibson", and not a Gibson? That could be a problem. "Your honor, it's disclosed right there in writing that we were selling a Chibson, not a Gibson."

This is a good reason to consider buying used from Guitar Center....their prices are pretty competitive and I believe a) they would mostly detect fakes and neither buy nor sell them, and b) if they accidentally sold a fake and the buyer could prove it, I suspect they would happily grant a full refund.

Sjnoring likes this.
  5. dsutton24

[​IMG]

I have no idea why, but his issue is now resolved. This past Tuesday I got a call from the pawn shop that sold me this thing, and they told me that they'd gotten instructions from their district office to refund the full price I paid for this guitar. I asked what had happened, and they claimed they didn't know. I stopped by Friday, and the refund was sitting there waiting for me... The last five minutes of the ordeal were painless, at least.

I doubt I'll do business with these guys again. But, if any of you spot a silver burst SG hanging in an EZ Pawn anywhere, I'd love to hear about it :)

6. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Great news. Their suits must monitor social media.

callasabra likes this.
  7. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

That sounds like Karma

8. J Mac

J Mac TDPRI Member

9. J Mac

J Mac TDPRI Member

Thanks to this forum, I just finished returning said sg back to the ez pawn in Moline, IL...Wasn't a terrible guitar, but I don't really have any interest in owning one I can't really sell later on.

TimothyC likes this.
  10. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

They still trying to sell this same guitar as a Gibson?

11. hackworth1

hackworth1 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

A pawn shop advertised a low price $600 on a Gibson Les Paul on Craig's List. It was a fake and they knew it. A couple of workers in the shop were having a discussion about some expensive guitars they'd listed on e-bay. They knew the correct prices for genuine articles. They offered the guitar to me for $400. I declined. I wrote down the serial number and discovered that this fake had been seen and reported in many places across the USA.

12. J Mac

J Mac TDPRI Member

yup

13. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

Wow that's disgusting and has to be illegal. They know for certain that it's counterfeit.

awasson likes this.
  14. dsutton24

REALLY?

15. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

The volute ( ? ) caught my eye. Yours is the same as mine , mine is a 2012

16. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

they probably found out what I did that with out full disclosure they cant sell it, if the guitar was worth playing you should have offered them 50 bucks for it and now you have a 50.00 beater that you can kick around , I love to play mine , but it took a bit to set it up to my liking ( less time than what my 78 american strat took!)

Glad they came to their sences, and made you whole , I had a strong feeling they might.

17. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

For those of you that don't know, I'm dsutton24 son. I stopped in EZ Pawn today out of curiosity and it's on the wall again with a $100 price tag. I told the clerk 'hey you know your Gibson is fake?' Dood said ' yes that's why it's $100.' I said 'Why does the sales tag say Gibson on it?' Dood said 'Because it's a Gibson's. I chuckled and went out to the parking lot and called the Moline police department. About an hour later they met dsutton24 and myself in the parking lot. When we arrived they had already talked to the workers and they claim that 'they are just selling a guitar and telling people that it's a fake.' This of course is a bold face lie since they have already sold it two other times. Both officers said 'neither of them know anything about guitars, they were unable to force them to stop trying to sell the guitar and that since they were telling people it's a fake there is nothing they can do.' We brought up the point that it's a known counterfeit, the tag says no where on it that it's a Chibson and they have already sold it twice before as a Gibson. Their reply was more/less it's out of their jurisdiction and buyer beware.

J Mac likes this.
  18. J Mac

J Mac TDPRI Member

wow...

19. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

One hundred is a good price for it, but it's stupid they sell it as the real thing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.