Guess Who Has A Fake Gibson SG?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by dsutton24, Jun 17, 2017.

1. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

It has to be a pretty bad fake for the guys at GC to be able to tell on the spur of
    the moment like that.

Sorry about that one, but that can happen on a Gibson every now and then.

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Man I hate to admit it but some of those Chinese fakes are getting just too damn good. There are "tells" but man you really have to know what to look for on some of them or play them to find out.

3. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I think, unless I come across a guitar I just can't pass up, I will stick to Epiphones for all of my Gibson-style needs.

I honestly have a hard time seeing the issues from the pictures. I probably would have been fooled too.

RevBillyG likes this.
  4. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Probably would have fooled me too-I once bought a fake Gibson acoustic. Hurt my pride and I still feel dumb about it. I smashed it against a tree in my backyard just to remove it forever from the market

jackinjax, troy2003 and boredguy6060 like this.
  5. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Viry pleasedd yuo might be abble to work this out wi t h th e pawnshop. if It helps, I had some fayke marriages that should ' v e bin pretdy obvioyus.

6. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I must admit, I have never have used those 3 words in the same sentence :D

radiocaster, Fiesta Red and Il Duce like this.
  7. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you pop the pickups they will be epi's and mini cheese pots complete with bad wiring!, also the truss rod is wrong and you may have to remove some masking tape to find it ,
    I know because of.......
    ultima 1.JPG
    this is a total fake but I was lucky to get all Gibson parts off of Kijiji , 490's,498's pots caps and Gibson gold green tulip machine heads for less than 100.00 cdn I have an gibson abr bridge if I choose to put it on and I rewired it with gibson pull back shielded wire , but it's not a gibson ,its pretty and it plays better than my les paul studio and It took long & mcquade 40 min to figure out it was a fake ( the epiphone bridge gave it away).

I hope they do the right thing for you, and FYI its illegal to sell these , once they had it in they're possession legally they cant resell it, I can never sell mine but its a beautiful birthday present from my wife.

now I can spot a fake a mile away

my gibson decal has "Original Gibson Equipment bench tested, builder aproved "all spelled correctly

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  8. 24 track

i got one so I could tell the difference ,now I can spot one just by looking at the serial number, the rest is confirmation , there are about 10 different tells and once youve seen them you know its a fake usually takes 30 seconds

9. 24 track

here are some of the tells,
    1) look for a scarf jointed neck, the fakes are better now some dont have this , also Gibson uses a 3 piece head stock Not one
    2) serial # may be legit to gibson but is stamped into the neck after it was finished also in the wrong script
    3) If the fret board is bound Gibson always covers the fret ends with the bindings if the fret ends are bare and binding doesnt cover them its wrong
    4) the fake will have masking tape inside the truss rod cover you have to remove it and use an allen wrench , not a nut driver like all gibsons
    5) look closley for finish flaws
    6) wiring will be cheap and pots will be small, not CTS or Gibson, Jacks will be cheap and Jack plates may be plastic , cheap chicklets for filter caps , the switch will not be switchcraft
    7) the pickups will say epiphone on the back plates
    8) the pick up cavities MAY be lined with black carbon paint
    9) the headstock and inlays may be wrong shape and or sloppily made MOP will have black filler where the inlay was not done right
    10) look closely at the binding on the headstock and compare it to a gibson you will see the difference
    11) a bound lespaul on a gibson is different in the cutaway to follow the contour of the maple top, this is not done on the fake, so part of the maple cap shows under the binding

there is more but eyesight alone once youve seen it you will always know

10. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Man that sucks! Live and learn. Many of us, me included, could have made the same mistake.

11. 24 track

gibson now places a chip under the fret board that they can scan for authenticity, probably date model serial and factory.

hellopike likes this.
  12. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

This right here is really interesting and would be neat if really true. RFID chips are cheap enough, imagine if Fender did this with Necks and bodies- and you could take your newest purchase to an official dealer and find out if it's in the original configuration or not.

As for @dsutton24 sorry to hear it, I hope you didn't pay too much for it. How long has it been in your possession? If it's been more than a month, I'm amazed the pawn shop is even considering a return to be honest.

good luck with it.

24 track likes this.
  13. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

So, the peghead shape bothers me, and the tuner spacing looks off, washers too big, etc.

But, here's the real question: Did it play and sound to suit you? I've seen folks with counterfeits oh and ah at the "Gibson tone" and gush over the tone wood and electronics, and so on. I've seen their friends pick them up and affirm how superior this "Gibson" is, and so on, with authentic Les Paul Customs, and others right there being compared. After the first couple of inflammatory engagements of trying to gently let someone know they've been taken and have a fake, I stopped trying. I've learned over the years, to just let folks be, because they will absolutely believe what they want, despite all evidence and geometric proof otherwise. And in the end, the fakes really do often sound as good as the authentics, the only difference being the buyer's investment, and for those who don't want to know they have a fake, the investment part doesn't matter does it?

John Nicholas likes this.
  14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

You beat me too it - my browser interface sometimes bounces between pages and fools me that I've read thru the entire thread.

15. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I bought a fake SG years ago, (before the internet) when I got it home I pulled the scratch plate off and found all the parts/pots where mij. the head stock had the correct shape but some one had forged the decal, up close you could see it was wrong. I contacted the seller and told him if he didn't give me my $ back I'd call the police. We arranged to meet a few days later and I got my $ back and I gave him $50 for being cool. Don't ask me about the fake 59 fiesta red strat I bought...ah youth.

16. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Then there is the opposite too. Friend had a Fender Precision Bass I thought was fake. It was real, just an odd signature model. I had an SG that was a really rare model to that was very different from your standard SG

17. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

So, if a business sells you something as an "authentic Gibson SG" and charge you as such, but you later find out it's fake, they don't have any legal obligation to make things right? It seems like this could be construed as fraud or something- maybe hard to enforce from a personal deal, but you'd think there would be laws to protect buyers from this kind of thing from actual businesses (whether they meant to do it or not). I have no idea if such laws exist...I'm just asking if anyone out there knows more about this.

18. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Holic

These 2 things on your list are wrong!!

3) http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/Les-Paul-Standard/High-Performance.aspx

HLPS17B8CH1_NECK_SIDE.jpg

6) http://store.gibson.com/plastic-jack-plates/

19. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Holic

Fakes are one of the reasons I bought my first Gibson Les Paul brand new from a reputable dealer.

The only other models I'm interested in are priced so highly that getting ripped off wouldn't be an issue. Any little hint of a problem with the guitar or person on a $5,000+ purchase and I'll just walk away.

20. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

I believe one of my first posts here was related to me buying an EXTREMELY obvious fake tele. I was out $400. It was a Saga kit I think, and very badly assembled.

Looking back, it's hilarious because the guy literally burned rubber getting out of the gas station where we met to do the deal. I could hear the engine revving 1,000 feet away, down the block, ha ha.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.