Guess what day it is?

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Wikipedia to the rescue:

Cinco de Mayo (pronounced [ˈsiŋko̞ de̞ ˈma̠ʝo̞] in Mexico, Spanish for "Fifth of May") is a yearly celebration held on May 5, which commemorates the anniversary of Mexico's victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla in 1862,[1][2] led by General Ignacio Zaragoza. The victory of a smaller, poorly equipped Mexican force against the larger and better-armed French army was a morale boost for the Mexicans. Zaragoza died months after the battle from an illness, and a larger French force ultimately defeated the Mexican army at the Second Battle of Puebla and occupied Mexico City.

More popular in the United States than Mexico,[3][4] Cinco de Mayo has become associated with the celebration of Mexican-American culture.[5][6][7] Celebrations began in California, where they have been observed annually since 1863. The day gained nationwide popularity beyond those of Mexican-American heritage in the 1980s due to advertising campaigns by beer, wine, and tequila companies; today, Cinco de Mayo generates beer sales on par with the Super Bowl.[8] In Mexico, the commemoration of the battle continues to be mostly ceremonial, such as through military parades or battle reenactments. The city of Puebla marks the event with various festivals and reenactments of the battle.

Cinco de Mayo is sometimes mistaken for Mexico's Independence Day—the most important national holiday in Mexico—which is celebrated on September 16, commemorating the Cry of Dolores in 1810, which initiated the war of Mexican independence from Spain.[1][9] Cinco de Mayo has been referenced and featured in entertainment media, and has become an increasingly global celebration of Mexican culture, cuisine, and heritage.
We lost again ? sweet jebus. I would love to have some authentic tacos and so on but no, nothing.

Poster Extraordinaire
Apparently it's the day when gringos get drunk beyond belief on tequila and the local folks of mexican descent mostly just stand around and shake their heads...

I once spent 5/5 in the Mission. I'm shaking my head at your comment.

Oxidao

Tele-Holic
Sanctimony is a look.
1651829133448.jpeg

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Around here it’s Cinco de Drinko…
And the same in Baton Rouge.

Last night was very loud and very drunk and just jam packed. I'm trying to type this very quietly, so the keystrokes don't wake any of my compadres here.

My only complaint was, the band at another place 1/4 miles from the one we chose, was obviously even better than ours. But, the food was amazing (despite a very stripped down menu). People in South Louisiana sure know how to cook, serve and bartend - Number #1 at that if not at football these days.

The crowd was like 2% obvious hispanic origin. But we shouldn't forget that Spain controlled a lot of SE Louisiana for generations and so a much larger percentage of longtime South Louisiana families are at least some Spanish even though they identify as french. Also, folks from the Canary Islands.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
And the same in Baton Rouge.

Last night was very loud and very drunk and just jam packed. I'm trying to type this very quietly, so the keystrokes don't wake any of my compadres here.

My only complaint was, the band at another place 1/4 miles from the one we chose, was obviously even better than ours. But, the food was amazing (despite a very stripped down menu). People in South Louisiana sure know how to cook, serve and bartend - Number #1 at that if not at football these days.

The crowd was like 2% obvious hispanic origin. But we shouldn't forget that Spain controlled a lot of SE Louisiana for generations and so a much larger percentage of longtime South Louisiana families are at least some Spanish even though they identify as french. Also, folks from the Canary Islands.
San Jose had to close off ramps off the 101 last night to curb the crowds. I was at a meeting until almost 10 pm, there were massive fireworks coming out of the neighborhoods and people celebrating like crazy. I promise you a HUGE portion of the crowds were of hispanic origin. Where I work is predominantly hispanic and vietnamese and man alive, if anyone thinks the latin population eschews that holiday... well, maybe in hipper locales, but San Jose is ALL IN on CDM