GTX100 amp models vs Mustang 3v2

birv2

Tele-Afflicted
I've been a happy customer with the Mustang 3 for several years now. Got my 2 or three sounds dialed in and I know my way around the interface. However, I'm looking hard at upgrading to the GTX-100 for a couple reasons: it's 22 pounds(!) and it's got a built-in Super Reverb amp model.

Does anyone know how the amp models in the 2 amps compare? I'm guessing the algorithms have been upgraded since the Mustang 3 but wanted to check. Anyone have experience with both amps?

Just so you know, I LOVE Fender cleans and don't go into metal or even heavy overdrive territory ever. Old school blues here (not blues rock). Thanks!

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Had all 2 mustangs. IMO the original MIII pales compared to the GTX. Not only are the treble frequencies on a whole other level but it's worlds superior in features. The only model in the MIII i liked enough to use was the bassman and i had to boost the front end to keep it from being flabby. Now the bassman is not even on my list of my fav handful of models in the GTX and yet it sounds better then the bassman in the MIII. I think the newer models that weren't in the MIII are a step above as is the core sound of the amp.

Unfortunately i can't really tell you much about the clean models because i get my cleans from a classic rock level of overdrive and clean up with a treble bleed in my guitars and rolling the volume to 4-5. I never liked the clean amps in the mustang much in ANY of them including the GTX. They're ok but to me they feel nothing like the real thing. But theres nothing about the MIII tone i can think of that to MY ear and fingers at least s as good or better then the GTX. Plus as i said, lots of features like 3 different EQ's you can put anywhere in the change, a global EQ setting, ply cab and like you said, 21 Lbs. The big difference for me is that when i use it in a band setting i can turnit on and maybe a miute of teaks and off i go, happy with my tone all nite. Wu=ith the MIII it was a constant fight and i was rarely happy with my tone in a band setting and even when i was it too endless experimentation to get there. YMMV.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
I shoulda mentioned tho, i DO like the blues Jr model a lot even set clean. I ESPECIALLY love the cleans when the gain is dimed and my treble bleed equipped guitars are rolled down to 5. Soooo sweet with that compression you get by getting cleans that way.I think it's the most realistic model and i doubt i could tell it from a real tube amp at all. But for cleans u might find it too middy. Plus you will want to use a different cab model. I use the 412GB. I suppose u could use one of the EQ's to cut some mids, as the mid knob on the model doesn't cut them where they are most obvious in the blues jr sound. Only thing is, because the blues jr uses so much processing, theres not a lot of room for effects so a EQ might leave you with less effects than you may want. I believe however that the reason it sounds so good is just that....they used a LOT of processing power to get that model sounding great. Not sure why but they must have their reasons.

Last edited:

birv2

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks for the detailed replies!

I have a Pro Jr and love it. It's my tube amp. But I also love the sounds and flexibility of digital. I don't need to add a lot -- some delay, reverb, and sometimes tremolo, a bit of gain, and I'm good to go.

I will have to drop by GC soon and try it out, but it's def on my Next Amp List right now.