GT 6L6/EL84 Substitute

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by j-fi, Mar 20, 2004.

1. j-fi

j-fi TDPRI Member

In the back of the fender catolog there's this doo-hickey called a 6L6/EL84 Substitute for converting your 6L6 amp into an EL84 amp. You just take out the the 6L6, and plug this gizmo in. It says it reduces the power of your amp by 70%. Anybody use one?

2. Mark N

Mark N Tele-Afflicted

funny you posted...

I was just about to ask the same question, I have a Blues Deville 410, just started to play out again after 10 years and I need to tame the beast. This is the first time I have gigged with the amp.

3. Spoto

Spoto Tele-Meister

Substitube

I tried one in a Champ 12 with is much lower power than the amps you guys are using. It did what it is supposed to do. I'm sure with higher watts it would make a more dramatic difference.
    I also tried it my single 6V6 amp just to compare the sound difference. For the record, the 6V6 is one of my all time favorite tubes. The EL84 just doesn't have the warmth and feel I get from a 6V6 in a small amp.
    I would guess the EL84s would sound better to me pushed thru more power.
    Not much of an answer buy maybe something to start with.
    One more thing. They are made by Groove Tubes. They list for $60 from Fender. List from Groove Tubes is $40.
    Go for it.

4. Spoto

Spoto Tele-Meister

Substitube

I forgot to add that it converts a 9 pin tube to 8 pins. I guess that's where the 928-PR comes from. Also works with EL34s.

5. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

There's also the THD Yellow Jackets..

Nothing else to say .

6. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

Sound like the equivalent of Ruby Tone Bones which I use in my 6V6 Super Champ, my 6L6 Twin and my EL34 - 72 Marshall JMP -50 w.

For me it is a great gizmo. They are available in two versions: triode (3-4 W per tube) and pentode (7-9 W per tube). I have a pair of each.

The pentode version I regularly use in my Super Champ and it gives a bouncier clean sound and a smoother overdrive.

I have tried the triode version in my SFTR and my Marshall JMP. In both cases you get crunch at reasonable levels (still loudish though). In the twin I did experience loss of low end but by reducing treble and maxing out bass it was still usable.

Overall I love the little buggers and I am on the lookout for more of 'em.

Harald

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.