Groups I loved in the 70's, but in the 80's?...not so much

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RetroTeleRod, Aug 26, 2019.

1. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I choose to believe that Draw the Line was the last Aerosmith album. I wonder whatever happened to those guys.

68tele, Jim622 and duzie like this.
  2. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

Omg, Toto’s Georgie Porgie is ear herpes. Once you are exposed, you have it permanently. Heard it on the yacht rock station and it is an extraordinarily tenacious earworm.

Anacharsis and RetroTeleRod like this.
  3. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

Yep, I agree. The Discipline line-up was the best for me too. But some of those old numbers...I mean, the solo on 'Starless'...

4pickupguy likes this.
  4. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

I'd say music got a whole lot better from '76 onwards.
    The Clash, Television, Sex Pistols, Gang of Four, Dire Straits, Minor Threat, Magazine, The Cure....way more up my street than Heart or Foreigner, but that's my taste...

I don't even know where to start with this one, it's just not true. Q may be a genius but I'd say the Industry saved Michael Jackson not the other way round.

Sorry, not starting an argument, just have a different view from over here :cool:

Fendereedo, basher, Modman68 and 3 others like this.
  5. aux8

aux8 Tele-Meister

No argument there, but those were 1989 and 1990, so I stand over my 'most of the 80s' remark ;)

6. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

yes, the view is different. I share that view. Within the 'industry there was some hope for the future back in the 70's and 80's. We hoped for some kind of shake-up to revive the music industry, as the Beatles had done in the early 60's. Punk cane along and did that gloriously. Too bad for us, the industry bought it, ruined it, and regurgitated it. Green Day?

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This may have been some kind of "business" issue.

A decent band could break through and get promotion and a recording contract through maybe 1972. From then on the "draw" was some kind of new or entirely different music. For example, Big Star appeared to do everything right but they couldn't break through. Radio stations didn't want them; promoters didn't want bands who couldn't sell records. So, it seemed like to me that most bands which should've been the next new thing from 1975-1980 were suffocated.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  8. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister

Here's hoping San Francisco sued to get their money back.

Greggorios likes this.
  9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There were some extraordinarily under-produced bands in the early 1980s. Josef K, Scritti Politti, Monochrome Set, most of the punk bands, joy Division, Orange Juice - but if you didn't hang out with the right people you didn't know.

Modman68 likes this.
  10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

gonna disagree about the JT record... first it was released in 77 and second, it is a great record.

there were lots of great records in the 80's by 70's artists... but, I can tell by your narrative that you are sure of things that historically just didn't happen that way.

Modman68 likes this.
  11. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

Queen and ELO are two of my favorites from the 70's that soured in the decade that followed.

12. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Doobie Bros...McDonald just turned ribeye into sonic dog food

13. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

Springsteen, Elton John, Billy Joel.

14. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

These are bands I really liked where my love for them waned after 1979.

ELO - 79 with Discovery was their last really good release. I do like some of the songs on the Xanadu soundtrack.

April Wine - I do like Power Play and Animal Grace, but after that? Not really.

The Eagles - Yes, I put "The? there on purpose. :p Long Run was it for me. 1979.

The Led Zeppelin :p - Wait...what? Yeah, they never made into the 80s, but based on In Through The Out Door, I felt they were trending downhill. Their time did come...and went. I am a huge fan though.

ZZ Top - The 70s were great, the 80s? OMFH! Not crazy about a Sharp Dressed Man

I do like Heart, Toto, Yes in the 80s, but they did kind of taper off with me.

Rush was great until Vapor Trails and beyond. Huge fan, but I don't get Vapor Trails and beyond.

There is nothing wrong with Georgy Porgy!!! LOL! I love that song. Big Toto Fan and they were good in the 80s for me.

Kansas - My favorite band, but the 70s were the best. I still love their 80s, 90s and beyond though, until Steve Walsh retired from the band.

4pickupguy likes this.
  15. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

We have a winner...
    Yes, sadly I think even ZZTOP’s fall from grace pales compared to Queen’s 80’s melt down. Even as late as Jazz they were still a great rock band. Then the 80’s happened. I was a huge Queen fan in the 70’s in the 80’s I claimed I never heard of them.. Innuendo was a decade late step in the right direction.. For the longest time I wondered why May was even still in the band. They totally bailed on guitar music. I think they would have found their way back to creativity and music that suited the whole band. As great as Freddy was, he steered them down a dark “Flash Gordon” filled road:(

16. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Boo. Just boo. And an extra boo for not spelling Rosanna correctly.

17. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Also boo. I’ll Supply the Love belonged in the 80s...it just squeaked in the 70s by two years. So practically speaking you liked an 80s Toto song. Toto was built for the 80s.

This thread reminds me of Step Brothers—“80s doo-wop Billy Joel sucks!”

18. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Queen live in 74’ just drums, bass, piano and guitar through loud amps...

...aaaand here we are in hell..

Straydogger likes this.
  19. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Another boo. 80s Queen rules!! Roger Taylor writing Radio Gaga was the best thing to ever happen to live music.

4pickupguy likes this.
  20. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

Toto:
    Most of those guys played on Silk Degrees and David Paich co-wrote most tunes for Silk Degrees with Boz Scaggs. If you look at Georgy Porgy in that light it makes a lot of sense.
    Say what you want about their material, but those guys were and are monster musicians.

Jeff Porcaro's discussion of the beat for Rosanna. Even if you don't like Rosanna, you should see it.

"Goodby Elenore" from their somewhat weak third record is awesome played (mostly) live here:

Love JP throwing the sticks and shouting at the end of the video as if to say, "That damn well better be the last time I play through this today because that was perfect and the 14 times before that were perfect too!"

Luke, Paich, and JP, some of he best players to hit pop music.
    Yeah, I'm a fan.

Daniel

Unionjack515 and 4pickupguy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.