Groups I loved in the 70's, but in the 80's?...not so much

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RetroTeleRod, Aug 26, 2019.

1. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hey, I like Heart, “These Dreams”.

brookdalebill and getbent like this.
  2. El Famoso

El Famoso Tele-Meister

I still don't know what happened to Heart. I loved those first couple albums. It's like they forgot how to rock.

Tom Petty was great in the 70's and 80's.

I like 80s-90's Aerosmith just fine.

I never really liked a lot of the other bands mentioned here. To me Styx, REO, Foreigner are just the 70's versions of Ratt and Poison...

Also Toto only had 2 good songs. Hold The Line and Africa...:)

Mike Eskimo and bender66 like this.
  3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Anything by yes- a bit over the top.

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Judas Priest. They were absolutely brilliant and unique in the '70s. But as soon as 1980 hit, their music went downhill fast. I hold on for two of their '80s albums (British Steel and Point of Entry), though I don't think they are anywhere near the band's best. After those two albums, they are dead to me.

5. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

70's King Crimson, who cares ? :eek: What about Red, Starless, Schizoid Man, Night Watch.....many classics...

I know, IMHO and all that...

Teleterr and 4pickupguy like this.
  6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

In The Court Of The Crimson King was 69’
    Lizard 70’?
    In the wake of Poseidon 71’?
    Islands 71’or 72’
    Beyond about 71’ was it for me...

The best King Crimson period ever (IMHO) was:
    Indiscipline 81’
    Beat 82’
    Three of a Perfect Pair 84’

Belew and Levin provided new life to the band.

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  7. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

C’mon guys, Queen wins the contest.

In the ‘70’s: Killer Queen, Tie your mother down, Don’t stop me now,...

In the ‘80´s: Another one bites the dust, Radio Gaga,...

4pickupguy and RetroTeleRod like this.
  8. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

IMO Aerosmith went downhill when they stopped writing their own songs.

Owenmoney likes this.
  9. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

when I think of those bands I think... man, thank god I didn't listen to 'rock' in the 80's... other than Tom Petty it was a wasteland of CRAP

suave eddie and brookdalebill like this.
  10. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

ZZ Top for sure. When they started using synths, drum machines and furry guitars they lost me.

brookdalebill and RetroTeleRod like this.
  11. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I totally disagree about the Dead. First band I heard live , 1970 many shows after that. They were best in the '80s just as they broke super big but before the audience became less cool. There was a correlation w the government crack down on acid as far as the audience went,, but the bands playing was better than ever. I liked the Bruce on piano shows. As Jerry s health declined it did diminish, tho.

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Me too!
    Haunting Melody!
    Both Wilson sisters sing lead on it.

13. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

The music industry was never about producing good music ... It was about selling product ... By accident, some good stuff did emerge ...

Anacharsis, Teleterr and RetroTeleRod like this.
  14. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, it reminds me of those house renovation shows where they walk in and say "What a beautiful home! What character! Ok...now let's gut it!"

15. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Krimson has always been excellent except w the Bad Company rhythm section. Early stuff w Lake, then Weston, then Belew all different, all excellent. Last tour not in that league, but still worthwhile.

16. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The Stones in the 80's were, uh weak? But "One Hit To The Body" is still a great tune.

What's that? Keith didn't record that? Jimmy Page did? What? Really?

That song must appeal to my inner-Zep-head.

duzie likes this.
  17. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

My GF took me to that tour in Baltimore. First show of the tour. Audience just sat there, not really digging those future hits. Baltimore was added as the closing so we caught the last show of the tour as well. Audience went crazy for 'Dreams and the song about a Bank teller who has a boyfriend w bad credit.

gridlock likes this.
  18. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

We called it Corporate Rock in the CD shop I worked in. (Backdoor Disc & Tape in Cotati California for all you No.Cal music fans.)
    - David Foster ruined Chicago, but they were ripe for it.
    - Ann & Nancy Wilson did it to themselves.

The excesses of the early 70's led to a real decline in the quality of recorded popular music in the late 70's and early 1980's. For example: Glen Frey's No Fun Aloud record. Any one remember "Jesse" by Carly Simon? James Taylor's JT record? weak stuff. This was so prevalent despite excellent music still making it to market (Moving Pictures anyone?) That the whole music industry suffered the weight of this drek.

It took Quincy Jones and Michael Jackson to save the industry. Thriller as an album is a bit weird. Nothing flows. I always wonder who decided the track order on it. But it was head and shoulders above most recorded popular music at the time. (No one will ever convince me Q is not a fecking genius.)

All that success in the early to mid 70s showed the label executives what type of sales were possible (Boston anyone?), and the resulting decline in quality led them to look for and work out content they were more sure of and could better control. So you get Corporate Rock.

BTW Punk is also a response to the excess and indolence of the mid to late 70s and early 80s. A more honest one too. (London Calling.)

People were looking for honesty and authenticity by the late 80s. Acoustic music provided it. Shawn Colvin, Indigo Girls, Mary Chapin Carpenter, John Hiatt, the resurgence of Bonnie Raitt.

Jazz and Blues got a kick in the pants too as people left Rock in the dirt. (Though part of that problem was the Soundscan system and how they calibrated radio listenership ratings. John Mellencamp wrote about and he is convinced Soundscan killed Rock in the rural parts of America.)

OK I'm rambling now...
    :)
    Daniel

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  19. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don't get the all the hate for Toto and Rosanna. I thought that song rocked. It had a great drum groove, a funky bass line, great harmonies, awesome guitar solos, a kicking horn section, great combo of keys/Hammond/piano...not that I don't like Hold The Line, but to me Rosanna is superior in every way.

20. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I have only read the first page of comments, and I will not read the rest.

Singers, songwriters, groups... they play their stuff and hope to make a career.
    They get a hit, and they are happy - as are we, the listeners.
    They go on trying to build that career. It we (the listeners) are lucky, there is some element of integrity within the group that leads them to a path of truth and musical progress.
    Fashions change around them, led by influences out of their control (TV series, often in the 80's)
    They keep trying - it is a career, after all; you are trying to build a life where you can play music.
    In many cases they rise to, or exceed all expectation. In other cases they do not.

For me the strangest part is: why do we want to keep judging these performers as if it was something important? You liked Heart's first single, but not their third. The fifth release was more down your alley, the ninth was a total loss (in your opinion).

This is just pop music. People who did it well in the 80's and 90's (and the decades before) did quite well, and made a lot of money. It was, after all, the music BUSINESS.

Why are we trying to tear them up now? They are just people like ourselves... only they found a way to break in to an industry that paid great rewards at the time. And they did their best to ride that wonderful wave.

SheldonP likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.