Grounds in Tele Wiring?

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
A tele is naturally very well shielded, and you also have shielding paint, I myself would not add more, you are basically making a faraday cage, just know that a faraday cage can, In some instances cut high end, now if you have a bright guitar, that may be helpful, if an already warm guitar, I would avoid it, I have zero extra shielding in any of my teles, and no noise issues. Other than ya they are single coils so…..another trick to shielding, is shielding the pickup coil itself, Srv’s number one was like that, copper tape around the coil, ran to the ground eyelet on the pickup. Of corse I would insulate the coil first with tape.

the only reason one would burn up a pot, is that they are using an iron with not enough wattage, throw away that 20 watt, $20 iron, it is making this way more harder than it need to be, it not heat settings that burn up pots, it’s dwell time, and to reduce dwell time, you need wattage, a $99 hakko station will last a lifetime, and not burn up pots…I used one for 15 years, it still works fine, but went to the garage for auto, hot rod, and bike duty.
a good iron makes this a joy, a bad one? Not so much. a hakko station will solder pots perfectly, no extra flux or need of sanding the pot down because it has enough wattage.

I now use an expensive metcal station, it does not even have a temperature control. It solders pots and large ground planes as fast as a resistor lead.

most all component white sheets list max dwell time, not heat ranges.
they are very different.

one other thing, is I use rosin core Kessler solder. That contains led, the lead free stuff is junk, takes more heat, is more brittle, and has very narrow flow range. major industries have been forced to use it, you do not have to..leaded solder is more forgiving, more easygoing to work with , and the joint is flat out out better long term.
I say this because if you have issues soldering to pots a perfect storm is a bad iron and lead free solder.

a person told me these exact same things, a good iron, changed everything.
that lead to amp building, mic building, mic preamp building….and on and on…

thanks for the wiring complements, but I am really just copying what the fender girls in the 50s did, monkey see, monkey do….lol

IME, a little bit of Flux paste dabbed on the back of the pot makes the solder stick almost instantly in most cases. Doesn't matter if you use a 25w Weller ice pick-style soldering iron or a 300w Weller soldering gun. I've used both. With & without Flux.

Once you have the solder on the case, you wet the tip again, preaolder the wires, and pretty much as soon as you touch it, the solder on the wires will melt onto the pot and combine with what's already on the pot. And you're done.

A $5-10 can of Flux paste does wonders for soldering and will keep you from ever burning up pots as long as you actually use it. I actually have paste and 2 different types of liquid flux in bottles with precision applicator needle tips that I use more than the paste.

Chipss36

Tele-Holic
IME, a little bit of Flux paste dabbed on the back of the pot makes the solder stick almost instantly in most cases. Doesn't matter if you use a 25w Weller ice pick-style soldering iron or a 300w Weller soldering gun. I've used both. With & without Flux.

Once you have the solder on the case, you wet the tip again, preaolder the wires, and pretty much as soon as you touch it, the solder on the wires will melt onto the pot and combine with what's already on the pot. And you're done.

A $5-10 can of Flux paste does wonders for soldering and will keep you from ever burning up pots as long as you actually use it. I actually have paste and 2 different types of liquid flux in bottles with precision applicator needle tips that I use more than the paste.
You are using a bad aid, not needed with the correct iron.
rosin core Kessler has all the flux you need, also flux can absorb water.
that is definitely an issue in coastal Texas, and the humidity levels here.

just using lots of flux, has caveats….. the proper iron does not.
a 25w pencil iron and a 300w gun, are not the proper tools for pots.
nope…if you simply had a $99 hakko, you would understand what I am trying to tell you here, you are making this much harder on yourself, than it needs to be.

Last edited:

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
You are using a bad aid, not needed with the correct iron.
rosin core Kessler has all the flux you need, also flux can absorb water.
that is definitely an issue in coastal Texas, and the humidity levels here.

just using lots of flux, has caveats….. the proper iron does not.
a 25w pencil iron and a 300w gun, are not the proper tools for pots.
nope…if you simply had a $99 hakko, you would understand what I am trying to tell you here, you are making this much harder on yourself, than it needs to be.

Flux isn't a bad aid. Or a band aid. I can solder without it, too. I did for plenty long enough before buying it. Using 25w or 300w, I never burned up a single pot with OR WITHOUT IT. I know how to solder.

Chipss36

Tele-Holic
Flux isn't a bad aid. Or a band aid. I can solder without it, too. I did for plenty long enough before buying it. Using 25w or 300w, I never burned up a single pot with OR WITHOUT IT. I know how to solder.
Keep struggling with the wrong tool…..then have at it.
you know best, dude, or you think you do.

yet if you could humble yourself, just a little here, what I am telling you would make life so much more easy for you, seems pride is more important to you?

a few seconds, on a proper station, you would understand what I am saying.
I get it, you will refuse and know better.

with a proper tool, my grandkids, can solder a pot….perfectly. No extra flux needed, nor years of experience.

a pencil is good for a stomp pcb, a weller 300w gun, is good for a chassis ground, both are the wrong tool for pots. Pride will not change that.

another ignore button winner here.