1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Grounding the Bridge/strings

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Kmaxbrady, May 3, 2021.

1. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Meister

Some of my teles didn't come with the bridge plate grounded. I don't like the buzz when I'm not touching the strings so I always solder a wire to ground and then sort of tie the other end around one of the pickup mounting springs.

Two questions, why aren't bridges always grounded at the factory? And is there any advantage to not doing this that I am missing?

Just curious...

2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I guess it's just a cost thing. One more wire...

I've always seen the string ground wire trapped under the bridge and run through the bridge pickup cavity to a ground on a pot.

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Many, if not most, single-coil Tele bridge pickups with steel base plates ground the bridge via the mounting screws. If the pickup has a little jumper that connects the plate to the - lead, I don't bother running another ground to the bridge.

4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Most guitars need a ground to make operation quieter, and oddly, some don't need it at all. I always install one in my builds.

There is no drawback to adding the string ground.

The simplest way to ground a Tele bridge that has no drilled wire tunnel to the control cavity is to strip off about 3/4" of insulation and pinch the conductor between the body and the bridge plate. There's no need to solder the connection because pressure maintains continuity.

Another simple way is to solder a ring terminal to the ground wire and install it under the plate on one of the pickup's suspension screws

5. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

Fender have gone a strange route with the Player. The bridge pickup has a metal plate but the screws only thread into the plastic bobbin. The ground is provided by the ring terminal same as the Mex Standards.

Fender_Player_Bridge_02.jpg

LutherBurger likes this.
  6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Strange, indeed. Does the plate itself need to be grounded like that if it can't ground the bridge? :confused:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.