Grounding Issues

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jessecoffee, Jan 12, 2009.

1. jessecoffee

jessecoffee TDPRI Member

I'm working on building a lap steel (with some great help and suggestions from RomanS, thanks again), and I'm installing the pickup.

I got a Lollar P-90 and when I soldered it all up, I'm having some serious ground issues. There is an extremely loud hum when my hands are on the strings or the saddle, and the volume is non existent until it's turned almost all the way up. The tone seems to work fine.

The bridge and saddle were machined by my cousin for me out of bronze. I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

This is the diagram I am using:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...atic=1phat1v1t

2. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Make sure that the output jack is wired properly. If you reverse the hot and ground leads at the jack you can get intense hum when touching the strings.

3. braderrick

braderrick Tele-Afflicted

I'm gonna bet Guitar_Ninja is correct. That hum and buzz (if you have any) should go away when you touch the bridge or strings. Swap those output jack wires around. If it's a switchcraft the black or ground wire goes to the smooth terminal and the white or hot wire goes to the terminal with the notch in it.

4. jessecoffee

jessecoffee TDPRI Member

It is a switchcraft jack, and that was the problem. This thing sounds great now. I'll post pics soon!

Thanks for the help.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.