Grote Jazz guitar hollow single p90

DeepDangler

Tele-Holic
This thing rocks! Saw the name come up in the good deals thread and took the plunge. 200 bucks with shipping from Amazon and it’s in my office today. Quality is good! The frets are smooth with no sharp edges and are even across the the neck. It needs a little higher bridge to raise the action. The hardware is good and the tuners are OK. A string was broken on arrival but I tuned what was left up and plugged her in.

Sounds like a good hollow jazz box! Clean, round, warm and responsive to picking dynamics. It’s no custom guitar but the tone and fun at the price point is unreal.
DE9F2B4F-5A66-44E7-9E93-D0E23A421765.jpeg
B766E9E3-087E-4846-8D74-E49605543C72.jpeg

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
You know what...I’ve seen some red ones and thought the color just didn’t look right I don’t know how a color can make something look cheap but that’s exactly what it does

Now this natural is definitely something better

Last edited:

bender66

Poster Extraordinaire
I just got back from the hardware store for some better quality chrome bits for my celluloid pg on mine.

Fyi I also picked up that 175 big body hollow a couple weeks ago on my happiness with the 125 copy.

All hail the Grote!

Nahtabot

Tele-Holic
Grotes are great! The natural finish does looks good. I have the red - removed the pick guard and hardware. Looks better IMHO.

Does your truss rod cover have only one screw at the top?

*oh, and greetings from Port Washington :)*

sloppychops

Friend of Leo's
IMG_1419.jpg
IMG_1421.jpg

Another Wisconsin-ite from the western Milwaukee burbs with a case of Grote. I had a wooden bridge and saddle put on mine. Much better. Pics don't show it, but I also put spacers under the pickup to raise it by about 1/4" and I wound a leather shoestring through the strings right near the tailpiece to quiet overtones.

You'll probably need to align the bridge so that the strings are centered over the pole pieces, and you may want to experiment with raising the pole pieces.

I got a set of Gotoh locking tuners for it, but haven't put them on yet. The stock tuners are OK, but tuning stability is not very good with them.

They were $169 when I got mine, and I got $60 off that for getting an Amazon StoreCard. The case I got for it was more than the guitar cost.

Nahtabot

Tele-Holic
Hmmn, Grote's from the "Goodland".

Is Dangler's trapeze tailpiece crooked or is that the camera angle on Dangler's photo?

Obsessed

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Congrats. I've had mine now for well over a year. New pots and output jack, but these are great players and surprisingly great lookers. Probably a lifer for me at this point. P-90s are new to me and why I bought this, but I am totally enthralled by the stock P-90. I'm sure there are better ones, but I don't know what I am missing yet.
IMG_4163.JPG

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
This thing rocks! Saw the name come up in the good deals thread and took the plunge. 200 bucks with shipping from Amazon and it’s in my office today. Quality is good! The frets are smooth with no sharp edges and are even across the the neck. It needs a little higher bridge to raise the action. The hardware is good and the tuners are OK. A string was broken on arrival but I tuned what was left up and plugged her in.

Sounds like a good hollow jazz box! Clean, round, warm and responsive to picking dynamics. It’s no custom guitar but the tone and fun at the price point is unreal.
View attachment 849263 View attachment 849264
Mine is the ES 335-type. That natural is outstanding!
upload_2021-4-23_21-34-49.jpeg

DeepDangler

Tele-Holic
Grotes are great! The natural finish does looks good. I have the red - removed the pick guard and hardware. Looks better IMHO.

Does your truss rod cover have only one screw at the top?

*oh, and greetings from Port Washington :)*

Greetings! Always good to see fellow Wisconsinites. My cover does only have one screw. Kind of an odd choice but I suppose there's no reason to have two. If it makes the guitar 200 bucks, I'm cool with it :cool:

Hmmn, Grote's from the "Goodland".

Is Dangler's trapeze tailpiece crooked or is that the camera angle on Dangler's photo?

You're eyes don't deceive you. My tail piece is not straight but the guitar arrived with a broken string. Once all 6 strings are on, it should sit straight.

Dang, i really need to get into this Grote’s.

its always out of stock!!!!

Check google and ebay! There are plenty more options from other sites if you dig around. Grote sells some interesting headless guitars as well and some HH teles that are tempting me :oops: