groovy 60's vs Fender threaded barrel saddles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Irondog, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Irondog

Irondog TDPRI Member

this is a classic tale, if it's not broke don't fix it.
    and I have no intention of pooh-poohing Glendale.
    It seems like a reasonably well designed product perhaps not for every application.

My new Fender custom 63 relic telecaster, with Fender threaded steel barrel saddles has been playing extremely phenomenal, 6.5 pounds with sustain forever. super minor intonation difference on high E string
    and B string. so I thought I would order the Glendale groovy 60s since they appeared nearly identical to the Fender except intonated.

so what's the best thing to do when things are nearly perfect start changing things. :eek::cry:

it's not that bad.;)
    it was time for a string change I find the d'Addario NYXL to be really good, on nearly every guitar. standard straight set of 10 gauge NYXL. so in went the Glendale groovy 60s.

before
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]
    these are installed backwards after I read the instructions I flipped them around correctly, height adjustments screws pointing towards the pickup. they just seem crowded they contact each other heavily.

I didn't notice a big difference in tone, generally seemed that everything intonated very nicely, nice strong attack, sharp steel tone good pick attack. nearly identical tone to the Fender.
    After playing for about 30 minutes I started going into some David Gilmore solos. I am a bend monster more into solos than into rhythm playing.
    And that's where I ran into some problems.

2 and 3 fret step bends at the ~17th fret of the E,B and G string were dying quickly. by the count of 3, previously they would hold with no problem until the count of 8.
    So I can't tell exactly why? the barrels hitting each other or the height adjustment screws. the way the strings interact with the threaded barrel? something was just not quite right, I tried adjustin, I tried tweaking, I tried gentle tapping with a plastic hammer to try and seat all the components. Nothing worked the 17th B string, moved it one notch to change the way it was trapped in the threads, I just can't figure it out. Normal fretting seem to be okay only when it was being bent.
    So anyway that's my experience with the groovy 60s, pretty good but not for this particular guitar or this particular application.

I immediately put on the Fender custom shop stock saddles,
    thankfully the guitar's completely recovered, 2 fret bends on the B string with mild gain goes for a count of 12, it was never broke so don't fix it.:eek:

fender 63 relic journeyman, twisted tele pickups, phenomenal guitar.
    The best guitar I've ever owned.
    Cheers

hemingway likes this.
  2. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

I put the 60’s groovy on my CS Esquire that originally had non staggered steel saddles. I noticed no difference in tone, but intonation is now spot on and my strings do not go over the height adjustment screws any longer. I am very happy with them.

I’ve tried some heavier strings for which I had to adjust intonation a little. When I switched back to my regular strings, I noticed that suddenly there was a lack of sustain on 3 strings. What happened was that the intonation adjustment screws were not « tight » on the springs, ie I could turn them without actually moving the saddles. I tightened them and tone and sustain were back.

Maybe that is what you experienced?
    It is not uncommon, especially if you adjusted intonation without loosening the strings enough.

Bopcat likes this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like they're choking out. Needs 1/8 turn more. Maybe your neck is a tad too straight.

4. Irondog

Irondog TDPRI Member

I did loosen the strings several times I also mentioned I took a hammer and tapped everything lightly to seakt the screws in the forward position.
    the one thing I noticed that was different was the height adjustment screws of the 3 lowest positions ended up in the screw holes of the bridge mounting screws, as I was lengthening the strings the saddles ran into their limit which appears to be the height adjustment screws running into those mounting screws, the fenders do not seem to do that. On this particular guitar. I was thinking that maybe I need to get the Glendale bridge for the saddles to work to their best.
    But again there's nothing really actually wrong with the guitar there's nothing to actually improve. So rather than fight to dial this thing in forever I decided it was not providing enough value for the work involved.

I did raise and lower the action to investigate if it was choking out it seemed to create slightly better at very high action, not as good, and worse.

5. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

I get that. I switched to Glendale saddles because I really needed the intonation to be spot on for the things I play (lots of open strings with fretted notes higher on the fretboard).
    Bad timing though, since I would have been glad to buy you back the saddles, even if I am very happy to have made business with the nice people at Glendale.

6. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

Its a matter of personal preference, use the saddles that work the best for you. If it works for someone, it doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you.

Enjoy that Tele.

7. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

:rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.