1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Groove Tubes

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by gibson11, Jan 6, 2018.

1. gibson11

gibson11 Tele-Meister

Have the EL34's in my Music Man for about 10 years now. At low volume it sounds kind of buzzy and trebley, would JJ's be an improvement?

2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Have you had the same brand, or the same individual tubes in it for ten years? Has it always been buzzy with the groove tubes, or is this recent?

If you actually have ten year old tubes in it, it’s likely that any new tubes (regardless of brand) would be an improvement.

viccortes285 and DougM like this.
  3. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

In my experience, the preamp tubes have more to do with these kinds of sonic symptoms than the power section most of the time (especially at low volume). There aren’t many factories making tubes anymore so there really aren’t too many huge differences among newly manufactured examples of a given type (testing/quality differences aside). I’ve had good luck with both JJ and TungSol preamp tubes in my Peavey and Marshall. The Tube Store website has a lot of decent information about the various manufacturers, tube types, etc.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  4. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Holic

As said before any new tubes may sound better than old ones! And of course GT tubes could be anything. The GTs in my custom champ are 3 different brands.

5. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

pull them out and put them back in a few times. if you still get the noise, you may want to try deoxit on the pins and inside the socket. another possibility is to swap the power tubes and swap the preamp tubes, one by one. if this identifies a bad tube then you'll know which to purchase.

play music!

6. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Music Man amps don't have preamp tubes. SS preamp and tube power amp.

Dan R likes this.
  7. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I stand corrected, thank you!

8. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Groove tubes are rebranded tubes from other manufactures (mostly Chinese, I believe)
    Nothing wrong with Chinese tubes, IMO, but know what you're paying for, and that they're just Chinese tubes, tested, relabled and sold for more money.

9. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Music Man RD-50 for about 30 years. This one had two 6L6 power tubes. As stated, SS preamp, only power tubes. I had GT''s as the first replacement after about 15 years. I then got some JJ's later. I don't know that I could tell much difference. I think amps like that are not finicky. As long as a tube works and meets spec, good to go. JMHO

10. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Hold the press.
    " nothing wrong with chinese tubes'
    Has the world froze over?
    There must be a landfill a mile high with all the chinese tubes tdpri ers have thrown out, mainly because the other guy did.

11. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

I like the Shuguang ones in some applications, personally. Mesa and Ruby like them too, from what I've seen.

12. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I 've been saying thses amps are voiced for these tubes forever and get totaly lambasted for it.
    Yet less than 20 % are happy when they exchange them for something else.

13. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

I've had good luck from Tung-Sol's and JJ's in the power tube department.
    The Tung-Sol's are now New Sensor/Sovtek - Russian. I think this includes EHX, Mullard, Svetlana, along with the Tung-Sol's and Sovtek and whatever I'm forgetting, (I purchased a Mullard 12AX7 and to my surprise found out it was identical to the Sovtek-LPS I had).
    The JJ's are Slovakian with Eurotubes being their primary distributor I believe.
    Shugang as mentioned above are Chinese and as noted above Ruby is one brand that comes to mind. Some are rebranded as Mesa and GT with some occasional Russian tubes mixed in with the Mesa's.
    Those are the three big makers of tubes that I know of and jive with what I'm reading in this thread.
    So back to earth and your question, "Yes". As of late the Tung-Sol's seem to be a slight preference to me for tubes lately than the JJ's but I actually use both and it depends on which tube I'm replacing. I also think you'll be happy with either one.
    I also seem to prefer the Russian and Slovakian tubes over the Chinese but this is strictly a subjective preference in the tone. There is nothing wrong with the Chinese tubes and I think that Shugang's are fine tubes.
    It's more of a choose what flavor you like versus a particular brand of tube being bad.
    Hope this helps with your amp tone!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    viccortes285 likes this.
  14. gibson11

gibson11 Tele-Meister

My Music Man does have a SS pre-amp, will try and move the 4 tubes around and see if there is a culprit, thanks all

15. DrBoBo

DrBoBo TDPRI Member

If you do decide to purchase JJ's get the E34L tubes. The E34L has a slightly higher grid voltage rating (-13.5 to-16.5 vs -10 to -13.5 volts) than the traditional EL34 vacuum tube. A good idea since MM voltages can be _very_ high. Don't forget to re-bias.

DrBoBo

16. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Tubes from GT could be Chinese, Russian or JJ’s. There is a code that indicates the country of origin. R for Russian, S for JJ.... I don’t pay for that high dollar silk-screening that GT uses. Ymmv.
    IMHO, Gibson11, your amp would do well to be in the hands of a tech who has some experience in MM amps. Your amp runs very high voltages on the plates.....700+. These amps want to be put in proper working condition and maintained well. 10 years is a long time without some tech oversight, imho.

17. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Holic

The GTs in my fender custom tweed champ actually have ruby on one,the word russian on the other-and the preamp tube nothing other than the GT logo all have.

18. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Holic

Nearly every tube amp ever made has the problem of thin trebley sound at low volume. That's why we play them loud.

viccortes285 likes this.
  19. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I've had a couple Shuguangs go out in cathode follower stages, but then so do NOS tubes. Shuguay are cheap to keep a few on hand.

20. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

This isn't the only forum.

That landfill is probably smaller than the landfill full of non-broken-in speakers.

ebb soul likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.