1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

groove tube question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gadgetfreak, Feb 22, 2014.

1. gadgetfreak

gadgetfreak Tele-Afflicted

Hey fellas I just got home from the store and noticed that my 6l6 groove tubes I just purchased say gt 6l6-r...Now I just googled them and it said at sweetwater that they are stock 5881's but matched for better sound and quality. What is this crap,lol..did I buy the wrong thing or did the gentleman give me the wrong tubes. I asked for 6l6gc's. I am trying to put them in my Rivera Quiana studio 112 which currently has JJ power tubes.

As far as biasing am I going on 23 watts or 30 watts, What kind of tube do I actually have, should I return them for 6l6gc's? Thanks

2. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

5881s are in the same family as 6l6s. They generally break up a little sooner.

They can be used in place of 6L6s, but I suppose it depends on the amp.

Those are actually referred to as 6L6gb I believe

3. gadgetfreak

Thanks man, So do you know if I bias it as a 25 watt or 30 watt tube. I am assuming 25 watt just because it looks exactly like a Sovtek 5881 and the box is made in Russia Fed. Please anyone, my amp is 30/15 watt amp.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  4. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

Don't buy GT.

5. gadgetfreak

I thought they were 6l6gc's...That's what the guy told me, just needed something to get me through, I had them before in a Fender weren't that bad, but if I ask for 6l6gc and the guy gives me something different that's not cool. I should of checked. Still I don't know if I can even use em in my amp. I don't know what they are rated for 19, 23,25 or 30 I doubt it but who knows?

6. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

7. Crazy neddie

Crazy neddie Tele-Meister

They have short bottles compared to the 6L6 GC's. I have found 5881's or other short bottle 6L6 types to have sweeter mids, where the big bottles sometimes have deeper bass. But you may want to try them and see how they sound.

8. gadgetfreak

Ok guys if I try these what do I bias them for, that is my question. I understand they are relabeled Sovteks, I noticed that as soon as I opened the box but I didn't know if GT did anything too them. So do I bias them same as usual? I usually bias my 6l6's around 38-40mA with my dmm. My plate voltage is 410..

Thanks Vanr i seen you answered my same question on other forum, appreciate it. Still pissed the guy gave me these, it's not what I paid 60 bucks for. They say no cash refunds only store credit, ha there will be an amendment to that rule.

9. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I love 5881s. As others have said, they break up a little sooner, don't sound as "stiff" to my ears. I've got a pair of Tung Sol that I occasionally use in my Swart AST Master.

GTs are expensive compared to other tubes, and all they have done is rebranded them. A good store will sell you a matched pair of Tung Sol, Sovtek, what ever.

10. gadgetfreak

Well this store isn't good and it was out of sheer desperation I bought them. I had my bank card frozen due to problems with my son's Microsoft account, look's like somebody hacked his account and my card has been charged hundreds. So I cannot buy online right now and the only store that is close to me sells GT, that's it.
    I really appreciate the help... I don't want anything to happen to my amp so that's why I asked. I read somewhere that if your plate voltage is higher than 400 than you shouldn't use 5881's, i think it was on here or the tubestore site. I actually like the tone of the JJ's that are in my amp but one of them is rattling really bad, even if I move the tube it still rattles within the tube.

11. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

40 mA should be fine. I believe they are a 30 watt tube.

12. Ramblin Ray

Ramblin Ray Tele-Afflicted

When I had my Quiana Studio 55 W, I found the best tubes for this amp were the 6L6 Winged "C's" I purchased from the Tube Store. I think they have gotten considerably higher in price since I last bought them 3 years ago. The EH6L6 was my 2nd choice.

13. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

There's nothing wrong with Groove Tubes, they get tubes, test them, and then rebadge. Same thing TAD does. Regarding bias...

1. Is it redplating? If no, goto 2. If yes, order some 6L6GC.
    2. Does it sound good? If yes, you are done. If no, goto 3
    3. Take it to a shop. It's a Rivera, you can afford to take it to a shop.

14. gadgetfreak

I returned them today the owner pissed and moaned the whole time. Thanks for the replies everyone

I wouldn't assume cause its a rivera I can afford a tech or would pay someone to do a tube swap. I asked for apple pie and got apple cinnamon so I should just eat it? No sir ... Why would I want to overpay for sovteks anyway, if I knew I never would of walked out of store, lesson learned

Btw I just wanted to know what the tube was rated at for watts that's it. Gts own site said not to use if over 400 pv. Thanks again all

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.