Grommes LJ-2 Mono Amp | 2 x 6V6 w/ Octal Preamps - 5C3 Conversion Blaspheme?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Huddy, May 20, 2020.

What to do?

Poll closed Wednesday at 11:04 PM.
  1. Covert

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Restore/Leave As-Is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Holic

So I scooped up a Grommes LJ-2 this afternoon - 5Y3 w/ 6V6s, a 6SC7 and 6SL7 phase inverter. The seller had it playing music when I pulled up - it works, wasn't terribly loud though. The power transformer is properly functioning - seems to be 360-0-360 or at least it is now with my wall voltage.

The output transformer seems okay... but one side of the primary meters at 140 Ω and the other side is 240 Ω. Isn't that way lopsided? Could the insulation be worn through on that one side causing it to read less resistance? Open circuit between the primary and secondary as it should be

Provided the OT is okay would it be blasphemous to covert this to a 5C3? If the output transformer needs replacing I'm definitely doing it.

2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

There's nothing sacred about an old Grommes amp, feel free to impose your will upon it.

Huddy likes this.
  3. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

I ended up with a grommes (221?) Monoblock amplifier for $1USD at a surplus sale. This thing looked like an Ampeg B-15 that I eventually built a B-15 preamp and mounted it under the Grommes. It sounded amazing!

I never used it and ended up selling it for over $200USD a few years later.

Perhaps this could be a good pedal platform amplifier.

4. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

What would be the point of restoring it? If I'm not mistaken, it's just a kit mono HiFi that the majority of today's HiFi nerds wouldn't have any interest in. So unless you want to use it for that, you should turn it into something you will use.

5. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Huddy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.