Grizzly or something else

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Robbied_216, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Robbied_216

Robbied_216 Tele-Afflicted

Hey guys,
    I did a bit of a search and didn't quite find what I was looking for. Looking to start fitting out a workshop for basic projects and cabinet / guitar work. I have been looking at the Grizzly drill pressed and from what I read they seem pretty well rated.

It appears they would all do basic guitar projects, but interested to know what the community would recommend from those that have crossed this bridge before.

Again I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, so I apologize if I'm rehashing the same thing again....

-Rob

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm very happy with my 14" Grizzly. I've only had it for a few months, but no complaints at all.

Like most of us, I hemmed and hawed, and researched every brand. Grizzly was a good choice, for me.

3. Robbied_216

Which particular model did you get?

I feel like I'm following in your footsteps. Just moved into a house and prepping to setup a shop. Wanna do it right this time round....

4. moosie

Forgot to add, I have the G7943, which is the bench version of the G7944. The latter was a strong recommendation here on the forum. I opted for the bench model due to space constraints, etc, but same drill.

20170804_185339.jpg

John Nicholas likes this.
  5. moosie

That's a Woodpecker DP table that I got a good price on at Toolnut.com. I really liked that the fence is low, so no chuck interference, and all the T-track adjustability.

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

A 14" drill press is the way to go in my opinion. Grizzly is a good value with parts availability. I'd avoid no name presses. Powermatic,jet, Porter cable, and Delta are others I'd take a look at. Things that tend to go first from my experience are switches, spindle handles, and return springs.

7. moosie

What's up with Porter-Cable? 35 years ago, when I was buying contractor stuff, their circular saws were considered "high end". I am still using one of them today.

When I searched for P-C drill presses recently, and table saws, I found nothing except a few Lowes listings. Even those seemed to be stale pages. The P-C site had nothing either, that I found. I got the impression they are either no longer making this stuff, or sold the division, or changed the name.

8. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Porter Cable is one of those companies that was bought out and production moved overseas to cash in on the brand recognition and make as much profit as possible with little regard for quality or longevity. Same thing that happened to Skil, Black & Decker, and Craftsman (though rumor has it that Craftsman may be restored to it's former quality levels under new owner Stanley/Black & Decker, but we'll see).

9. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

And don't forget Milwaukee. . . .

10. moosie

What about Ridgid? Similar? Back in the day I don't remember any carpentry / wood stuff. Just plumbing / electrical tools.

11. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

good old `murican greed boys and girls

12. Daniel94

Daniel94 Tele-Meister

I picked up an old 12" craftsman floor press on FB marketplace for $100. If you don't mind occasionally working on your tools then you can get some great deals on older tools. Personally I enjoy tinkering around on my tools almost as much as I like to woodwork.

RogerC likes this.
  13. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

If I had an option of grizzly or something else I would search more and buy something else.

14. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

After wrestling with cheap benchtop drill presses for years, I went to Lowes and got a 16" Delta floor model for 300something $many years ago. What a joy to use! Big table with wood insert in the middle and T-slots for hold down. It's a heavy beast but I put it on a 3" caster base to roll it around. I imagine Grizzly is comparable, they're all made in China now.

15. Robbied_216

Slightly smaller than the Grizzly at 13", but potentially another contender could be the Shop Fox? About the same price point as the benchtop Grizzly but this would be a local pickup for me?
    http://www.kbctools.com/products/MACHINERY/DRILL PRESSES/2434.aspx#

Ive heard Shop Fox mentioned here and there? Any feedback on the quality compared to the Grizzly?
    -Rob

16. moosie

Pretty sure 14" is the bare minimum if you expect to drill Tele ferrule holes. For example.

I looked at Shop Fox, and Grizzly seemed better to me. For a similar price, no brainer. I'd pay more for Grizzly.

And if you're going down some of the rabbit holes I did, I bagged the idea of the Shop Fox (or any) drill press which doubles as a spindle sander. It's a great way to ruin the arbor, and create runout. Made no sense to me, once I realized I could get a WEN spindle sander for $102.

17. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

I believe 12" swing is the minimum sized drill press available to reach string through holes on a tele . I get approx 5.2 " as the greatest distance from edge of body to center of string holes and swing is throat depth doubled so a 10.5" drill press would work but there is no such beast as far as I know , 12" would be the next readily available size . A 14" or 15" would be even better if you ever wanted to reach even a bit more . I agree with moosie on the dual use drill press /spindle sander , its cheaper to buy a spindle sander than screw up your drill press quill bearings and ruin work .

Tezuka27, moosie and Daniel94 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.