• No

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • maybe if I was starving

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Depending upon the size of your brain you might also recognize this. The king of grits dishes:

Attachments

• upload_2021-11-22_16-54-6.jpeg
    upload_2021-11-22_16-54-6.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 30

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Yes, I'm figuring that out. Interesting all the different ways people eat them. I'm going to have to find someplace that makes good grits.
I know you can get Bob’s Red Mill grits there. The trick is not to rush them. It’s ok to add a little more water rather than cooking too quickly.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
Grits can be horribly bland or wonderfully seasoned. I like grits. Shrimp and grits can be heavenly. Grits is a great canvas for doctoring up.
A girlfriend, from many years ago, would experiment with grits and had a dozen or more ways of making them. Grits, Pepper Jack cheese, crumbled crispy bacon, a touch of good salsa, topped with a couple of fried eggs was my favorite

Watered down, wimpy grits are the stuff nightmares are made from.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I like them but they do require specific cooking methods for the best results.

Waffle House grits are usually not that good, often even worse than microwaved instant grits.

Some restaurants with trained chefs trying to do their "spin" on Southern cuisine pull them off and others think they're a variation on polenta and screw them up.

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
I live in South Florida now…. But when I was working for New York Telephone/NYNEX in Manhattan, I went to a meeting at the huge edifice the Company had at 140 West Street. I had to be there early for the meeting at 8 AM, so I went to the (immense) cafeteria in the basement for breakfast.

They had grits. Real southern-style grits, just like I remembered from driving through North Carolina to Florida with my parents when I was a boy. I tried them for the first time back then, and liked them. So I asked the lady serving them for a bowl.

She said, in her genuine Southern accent, that I’d better not put milk and sugar on them, “Like all you New Yorkers seem to.” She said to season it with butter, some salt, “And a lot of fresh pepper. And get some ‘o that country ham over there to go with ‘em.”

As the National Lampoon once said, “I done died an’ went to Hebbin, where the angels be.” :)

Last edited:

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
It all depends on the grits. Had some shrimp & grits one night at my parents house and it I couldn't even swallow the entire bite. It had all sorts of extra stuff in it, too, that made it taste not so good to me. All sorts or cheeses and milk and some other stuff. I don't need milk in my grits. Nope. No thank you lol.

But I love some Quaker Instant Grits :eek:. I like my grits plain. Salt pepper and butter. That's it. Those shrimp & grits could've been really good but they had all this extra stuff besides shrimp and grits lmao. All it needed was some Tony's seasoning, some shrimp, and some butter and they'd have been a whole lot better than that stuff we had that night lol!

This is in no way bagging on my moms cooking. Anybody else would've told you those shrimp & grits were delicious. I'm just a very, very, very picky eater. Even at 40 :D