• No

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • maybe if I was starving

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I've only tried them a few times but haven't been impressed. I'm in Oregon and they're not common so perhaps I've never had good grits.

ieatlions

Tele-Afflicted
A66739F8-2661-44D1-B1B6-5607343884DC.gif

Jerry J

Friend of Leo's
Grits are great and a real southern tradition. Grits, sauage, gravy, and bisquits. Learned to love them when my friends were students at VCU in Richmond. Richmond in the late 70s was a GREAT place to be. Remember passing at seeing the Talking Heads at the student union because they didn't look like rock stars - no glitter, no flannel shirts, or other rock apparell. How funny but a year later I realized I missed a golden opportunity.

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
The first time I was even exposed to them was in Savannah, GA, about thirty years ago. I had no idea what they were, but my wife (who's Jamaican) likened them to something they eat in JA, turned porridge, also made from a type of grits. She was all over them.

During those many trips down south, I never had them, but she always would. Fast forward to the last sixteen months of being cooped up, and buying cookbooks left, right and centre, and following multitudes of chefs on Insta, and I got introduced to a whole range of different, tantalizing recipes with shrimp. lobster, ham, bacon, oysters, and more.

I learned of a agricultural business in South Carolina that specializes in bringing back heirloom produce, Anson Mills, and the type of corn that has historically been used, is one of them, as well as Sea Island red peas and Carolina Gold rice. I decided to place an order, as several recipes that I had saved called for the peas, and others for the rice. Anson Mills posts some great recipes on their web site.

They can be made plain with just butter, but IMHO, they are so much better when a shrimp stock is reduced, and mixed with sautéed pieces of slab bacon, shallot and jumbo Atlantic or Gulf Coast shrimp. Yes, I have learned to really like them, this northern boy from Canada.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I like the taste of grits but I have to be careful to restrict my portion and have plenty of protein with them. I’m diabetic and grits are a high glycemic index food. Blood sugar goes up fast. Ice cream actually raises my blood sugar less.

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I like them best with lots of butter, some salt, and some pepper if they're for breakfast. But all the fancy variations are good. I never even saw them until I started college in Atlanta.