Grit!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by boneyguy, Mar 13, 2019.

1. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Tell us your story of perseverance, persistence and grit!! And how it paid off in the end.

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.

Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent.

Genius will
    not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.

Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

— Calvin Coolidge

2. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

As a boy I would walk for up to a mile on a railway track without falling off.

I only got grit on my knees if I lost my balance and fell awkwardly.

I mostly stayed on.

As an aside, if I got down and put my ear to the rail I could hear a train coming from a fair way off. My father the station master used to freak out a bit if he caught me doing this.

3. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I completed my Ph.D. in 4 years with 4 small kids and a mortgage. I've known students who have less difficulties and washed out quicker. After finding a job after graduation, I started teaching at a medium-sized university for the same amount that I would have topped out teaching English in the high school I was teaching at before returning to school. 8 years later: I'm now making nearly twice what I would have been making teaching in public schools, and I will pay off my student loans in less than 2 years, which will be another $1,000/month pay raise!

studio1087, kingvox, boneyguy and 5 others like this.
  4. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

in my youth, I was pretty poverty stricken. I worked and made good money, but not enough to complete a couple years school at a stretch, and had a couple trys that ended short. so, in order to complete my A&P licence in only 1 year, I lived in a tent in Fairbanks AK over the better part of a winter. good news is it was a 5 man canvas army tent with a wood stove. on the other hand, it was 15 miles out of town, no electricity, and it got 60 below zero (dark too)(about 3 hrs daylight mid winter). saved by the dollar hotdog and free chili nights at the local road house, with 1 dollar Old Millwaukee beer. the biggest trick is to get (keep) a car running at those temps. gotta pre-heat and use a battery blanket. the tires will still be squared off though (frozen flat) for 20 miles, and the tranny and rear differential have to have MMO or something light because regular gear oil will freeze like concrete. I nicknamed my car "the galloping glacier" because it was cold. I could tell how cold it was by the size of the clear spot on the window... at -50 I had a spot on the windshield about the size of a mellon that I could see through... the rest was iced over because the "heater" couldn't keep up. the smallest it got was size of a baseball... dunno how cold it was, but -56 when I left town and the window kept shrinking. theres more... you get the idea. that qualify? funny, at the time it was no big deal... its just what we did in those days

edit.... how it paid off: I learned a trade that has been a meal ticket for for the last 40+ years. its work I enjoy. over the years I furthered my education and became a teacher in the trade, and now semi retired (I still teach a couple classes now and then). I still also practice my trade though, and am active in the trade community. hint... look at my avitar

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    kingvox, Shuster, boneyguy and 3 others like this.
  5. kingvox

kingvox Tele-Meister

The payoff is in the process. A long, slow process, but it's apparent in how I feel.

Very long history of pretty severe mental illness, forced hospitalizations, and consequently almost complete social isolation due to stigma. The loneliness has always been the hardest part. After a few other breaking points, I reached a real breaking point where I tried to kill myself. Nobody even knew, and when I became conscious again 18 hours later, still alone, and realized what had happened, I felt more alone than ever, but I had a very important epiphany: that even though I felt like no one cared about my life, it didn't even matter. Because if I didn't care about my life, then all the love and support in the world from everyone in the world would have meant nothing.

So I decided to improve myself for me. Over the years it's just been completely innumerable hours of absorbing every kind of self-improvement material I can get my hands on. From nutrition to neuro-linguistic programming to exercise/strength training, to keeping myself cleaned up and dressed normally, I keep tabs on it all.

I even managed to get my first girlfriend back almost 4 years ago, and we're still in touch regularly. That really gave me what felt like my first real, connected human experience I ever had in the world, and it changed me permanently. The girlfriend situation happened after about 9 solid months of working on myself every single day using an NLP technique while I was working a sh***y retail warehouse job. That was a huge victory for me, and a turning point, as I had pretty much given up. I was in my mid 20's and just figured I would die without ever knowing what that would be like. I forced myself to talk to this girl despite all my anxiety, and managed somehow to set up a time to hang out, one thing led to another, and the rest is history.

I've been to hell and back in the mental institution and with mental illness in general, but I'm coming out the other side with the full conviction that any mental illness is not a death sentence. And diet, exercise, sleep and supplementation alone can do far, FAR more than people believe. It also builds discipline and regularity which are mainstays in any kind of mental wellness program.

What I learned wasn't anything flowery, or fantastical. Really, the best thing I learned was to simply be more selfish. When I fully take care of my own needs and emotions and whatever else, I'm that much more able to give to and share with other people. At the root of my mental illness, in my belief, was people pleasing, and feeling like I had to put every single person on earth before myself. I lost control of myself because I didn't even know who I was.

My perseverance continues to this day by channeling my anger and frustration about my past life into bettering myself. My newest thing is a little drawing I imagined a couple days ago, as I've been focusing on the absolute basics. Just drew it up in MS paint today. I can visualize this exactly, and imagine it when I close my eyes. It's helping me tremendously with keeping my priorities simple:

dietexercisesleep.jpg

Everything else I could possibly do is built on top of those three things. Just having this picture as a reference, and inside my imagination to visualize whenever I need to, has been a huge help. It keeps me on track and staying disciplined.

The payoff is appreciating myself. I'm still in the process of that, but that's the true reward. There are even moments these days where I really, really like myself a lot, and feel proud of myself. I swear that feeling has got to be one of the most valuable things in the world.

That's tempered with the lesson that if I want a better life for myself, or a better mind and body, or whatever, I have to build it. I'm continuing to persevere but I know that if I don't go for what I want in life, I got nobody to blame but me.

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

learning to surf... and surfing..

without grit.. you don't make it off the beach and out the back... to actually try to surf.....:D

after a while, the surfing is the easy part, the reward for all the shoulder burn and salt water you swallow getting to that point.....;)

7. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

I delivered newspapers when I was a kid but never sunk low enough to try and sell this...

grit.jpg

8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Worked graveyard shift as night audit
    went to college during day..band practice
    night..coffee-coffee-coffee :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    kingvox, boneyguy and slauson slim like this.
  9. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I completed an Honours Degree whilst working till 4:00 a.m. , surfing, and still having time for my girlfriend (;) ). I must have lived on less than six hours sleep for at least four years.

I ended up as a lecturer at a College in electronics and the Maths that went with it. A pretty handsome salary over 6 figures. But I lost the love of my life, my wife.

You never know what life will throw at you.:cry:

kingvox and boneyguy like this.
  10. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Remembering a project from my stained glass career. I'd become enamored of Islamic art. This one large, round design - eight-sided motif, with interlacing bandwork - in particular. From an ancient mosaic floor in Ravenna, Italy. Decided to adapt that design to an octagonal window.

The trick was replicating it on paper. Might have been possible to trace it, project it larger, but that's not how it was originally created. Someone had designed this, obviously with only a straight edge, protractor and possible a right angle. All elements were proportional, interdependent. It had to be possible to draft the design from understanding geometry - angles and proportion. i.e., no ruler.

Took a week of trial and error on a drawing table. Not easy. Frustrating as hell. (Luckily, I'd done well in high school Geometry ...) Ultimately, I figured out how to do it using only two straight edges and two protractors. At which point, I understood the devotional aspect of these intricate Islamic artworks, and had great respect for those long ago artists who were so disciplined and creative with crude tools.

11. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Why bother to work hard and persevere when you can take the Huffman/Loughlin approach, and play the system by just throwing some money at it. I bought myself all the bright shiny grit I need right here :rolleyes::

[​IMG]

12. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm not at the end yet, but we'll see.

boneyguy likes this.
  13. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

One time when I was in Bagram, Afghanistan, I was soundly sleeping in my rack, some idiot thought it would be funny to launch a Soviet 107 mm rocket at the base and it just happened to impact at the hut next to mine. Fortunately, since it was Soviet crap, it was a partial dud and the explosion only knocked me to the floor and shook em up a bit. I got up, dusted myself off, looked around and made sure everyone was ok, then I went and had midnight chow. The food wasn't that good, wished I could have stayed in my rack.

Mike Eskimo, boneyguy and thunderbyrd like this.
  14. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Parallel universe. I'm an I.A. Started poor, worked like a dog, wife kept me poor. There's a sea of change coming for old aerhed. Hope I got enough left in me for the payoff.

dogmeat and boneyguy like this.
  15. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Given my signature on this forum I do believe that Calvin and I are of one mind.

"Practice guitar for hours each day. Do that for years on end and one day you will make it look so easy that people who have never done any of that will say that you were blessed with talent."

16. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i must have had "grit" when i was much younger to have survived. i don't think i could go through those things again. but i don't want to tell those tales, i don't want to dredge up those memories.

i recently told a therapist about some of the stuff i lived through, maybe 20% of it. he told me i was "very resilient". i wonder what he would have said if i told him a bunch more.

but i'm not very resilient anymore.

stevemc, boneyguy and 4 Cat Slim like this.
  17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Completed a 100K ultramarathin with 16,000' of elevation gain all above 6000' elevation.

Also completed an Ironman Triathlon.

Yup, real grit can lead to success.

elihu, mad dog, boneyguy and 2 others like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When my daughter was still at home, we had a fairly large birthday cake made for her with a skier coming down a slope made of frosting on it. Our son was home from college, and we all ate a piece of it as we celebrated my daughter's birthday. During the night I awoke craving ski cake! It took grit and determination, but I finally consumed the whole thing. I must confess this was the only time in my life I've ever had my fill of champagne cake!

This momentous feat is after the fact dedicated to Big Daddy Love Handles.

Mike Eskimo, boneyguy and thunderbyrd like this.
  19. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Stop Grit shaming! I like Grit. It's now a monthly mag that teaches gardening and livestock management lessons.

boneyguy and stratofortress like this.
  20. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

1) took last $ 850 i had in 2012 & started a Mobile Auto locksmirh CO..sat in my territory all day every day untill it worked..then hired & trained..CUSTOMER SERVICE satisfaction is out only priority..the money will follow & it did //selling it this year & retiring in FL

2) 2016 My wife got hit in head at work when a co worker dropped 140 lb box on her head..bad !! Nov last year a dui hit & run creams us in a parked car..re injured her brain...it sucks..we were in a profitable band living our dreams..kids were taken care of & grand kids also..i have not left her side in 3 years..i will NOT the the system win in this one...cocked & loaded for em..lawyers, doctors..insurance companies..bring it !! they do not have what it takes to get over us on this one...she will be healed....no faith left in "so called" professionals..bunch of money grubbing selfish ******..who cant look ya in the eyes..i feel better now..lol

stevemc, kingvox and boneyguy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.