1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Griping about the postal service.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

That’s all, really.

Ordered tubes on Saturday. From Sweetwater, which is three hours away from me. They still aren’t here. Tracking says “in transit, late”. Nothing else. No indication of where they might be or when they might get here. I should have just driven over there and bought them in person.

For contrast- I bought a box of strings on Monday. All the way from Southern California. They arrived today. Go figure.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

My oldest son started delivering mail a few months back.

He busts his butt 12-16 hours a day, 6 days a week and sometimes more than that.
    Sometimes he'll go 10 days without a day off.

He's lost 30 pounds in no time at all.

He's had to use mace on dogs.
    He's been accused of upsetting our election process.
    When his own son was stillborn, he got a total of three days away from work to grieve that loss.
    When he came back, co-workers were all "hope you enjoyed your vacay, while we covered for ya"
    Sundays he delivers people their cast iron pots and pans that they order- the USPS does a LOT of Amazon business. Lots don't know that, I didn't.

When he started, I told a woman I know who is also a mail carrier, she was like, "I am so sorry"

Be kind to your mail carrier

3. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The USPS guys here are slammed. They are running a lot of parcels and most days we have two separate trucks - one for normal mail and one for packages. Used to just be the one truck.

4. Jakedog

I know they’re working hard. And I appreciate them. A couple of my very close friends, one of them my pedal steel player, are retired mailmen. I get it.

I just think it odd that a package from the other side of the nation can get here in three days, and one from three hours away can’t get here in five. There’s something amiss there.

And their tracking system SUCKS. They might as well not even have one for all the good it does and for all the information it provides. That’s not the fault of anybody delivering, but it is a fact. I seriously liked it a lot better when the mail was just the mail and you got it whenever it showed up. What good is having a tracking system if it never, ever tells you where your package is or when it can be expected to arrive?

MickM, Coloradotwanger, djh22 and 4 others like this.
  5. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

It's a tough period for postal services. I've had a pedal-buying spree and it took them all forever to get here. The two I bought from the US (I am crazy…) aren't here yet: they disappeared from tracking for a couple of weeks and I thought they were lost… luckily both resurfaced in my region one week ago, and I'm still waiting.

There's nothing at all that I can do, or that the seller can do, so I am learning to be patient. COVID means that, too.

Tough life, I am sorry for your son – and I am always kind to the mail carrier, also because I know that the kid bringing the package to me is the last in a loooooong chain and usually bears no responsibility for any disservice I might have experienced.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

It seems that all three major carriers are becoming overwhelmed. What is affecting everyone around the world right now, plus a cultural change to a dramatic increase in online shopping and shipping. We will all need some patience.

1. ... including my wife.:rolleyes:

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

where we live, we don't get mail service, we have to go to the post office. The current conditions don't provide access to our box but a few hours a day. We have come to know the employees there and the postmaster. We live in a very small town and so, you see the same people often. I have come to genuinely like the people who work there. Each of their personalities is reflected in how they approach their work and so 'I'm Ready' when I see who is behind the counter. Overall, given that we have to add a day or two to each amazon purchase (because they hand off to USPS) we like them and while they are not the most adept folks in the world, we can rely on them to do what they can do to get us our mail and packages.

When you know them as people, you just kind of walk back the fury of disappointment. I've slowed myself down to the degree that I can be patient... I think they are doing the best they can with what they have and who they are.

8. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Eh it's only tubes, just be glad it's not your medication!

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

:rolleyes:
    Can't say I'm too surprised though

10. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I think some of that has to with many packages these days arriving to the post office via other carriers. Naturally USPS tracking won't show what other carriers are doing, and if that other carrier isn't someone who offers their own tracking (say UPS) then you'll go a stretch of time until USPS receives your package not knowing what's going on.

I've had some Amazon items shipped by Amazon itself for USPS to only do "the last mile". That can mean a notification from Amazon that my thing has shipped, followed by a week of silence, followed by a USPS notification saying saying "Hey you'll get your thing today".

Jakedog and whole tone like this.
  11. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Their tracking system does indeed suck. On the other hand, a lot f shopping in being done online so their volume is certainly up considerably. Plus the have the burden of moving a lot of bulk mail that most of us don’t want or read.
    I have a bin in my garage where I dump junk mail. It fills up each week with useless crap.

Jakedog likes this.
  12. Jakedog

Im not really looking for reasons or comfort. Just wanted to vent. I know they’re getting their asses handed to them over at USPS. And I know (at least I hope) I’ll eventually get my tubes. And if I don’t, I’m sure Sweetwater will make it right. It’s just frustrating to get something from 3000 miles away exponentially faster than something coming from 180 miles away, when they supposedly use the same resources and procedures. That’s my issue. And I’m not even mad. I’m just like, “c’mon, guys”.

I’m not having any issues with FedEx, and never do. If I order from anywhere in the continental US, and it ships same day, it never takes more than two days. Ever. If I order before lunchtime and it comes from my side of the country, I get it next day almost every time. Even though I expected delays this year, there haven’t been any.

getbent likes this.
  13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

just our local experience. Wisconsin is close to Minnesota so I'm sure the post office people there are well above average.

eye role jessica.gif

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Obsessed, P-Nutz, elihu and 1 other person like this.
  14. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Well, given the current situation, I can't complain too much...
    I finally got a pedal via USPS International Priority that took a month to deliver. I ordered it in early November -- in hindsight probably not the best time given both the pandemic and election at that time. Tracking showed it bounced back and forth between two regional centers in the same state for two weeks before getting enroute to an international sorting center in NJ, and then on to Canada Customs. Nice thing is that tracking worked through both US and Canada right to delivery at my door.

Jakedog likes this.
  15. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Same, appreciate the hell out of the carriers and PO workers. Thank ours whenever I see 'em particularly this year.

The tracking system could sure be better, it's always been just like "your package has shipped" or "your package has arrived" and not much in between. On the other hand, they've made some adjustments I like, especially those daily emails with little images of your envelopes/packages, which saves me from walking down to the mailbox most days.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

The USPS folks I know are really trying to do a good in a messed up environment. We don’t have box delivery at Casa Goofy so it’s off to the PO we go

buster poser and Jakedog like this.
  17. Esetter1

Esetter1 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I went about 5 weeks on a small order from Stew-Mac; Fedex has handed it over to USPS and the tracking hadn't updated since Oct 28; I called the supplier this week and they resent it as "lost" via expedited service; got notification today that it's delivered. I think a lot of it is just volume and luck of the draw these days.

Jakedog likes this.
  18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My mail carrier is wonderful. She took vacation time Thanksgiving week and we really missed her consistent service. My Weaten pup, Tiberias, looks for her when she’s outside. She gets excited and wants to jump up on her to say hello and to get her pat on the head and collect her treat.

We’ll give our mail carrier a Christmas tip this year with a note of appreciation. It’s a tough job that most folks just expect to be done. God bless her.

Rustbucket and Jakedog like this.
  19. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Just deleted over 20% of the posts in this thread. Politics is politics-even if you say you are not going to mention it.

NO POLITICS

Got it?

Thanks

20. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Holiday rush, Plague, other stuff. Tough times.

Carriers and counter staff and processors work hard.

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.