Gretsches - like em or love em?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by WilburBufferson, Dec 26, 2015.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I've got one

It's a 2005 Pro Jet. I love it. Upgraded it with a set of HS Filtertrons but in reality the stock mini-humbuckers sounded pretty nice. The newer Pro Jets have different pickups (blacktop filtertrons) which most people tend to like, a few others don't. I see nothing at all wrong with these Chinese works of art, and for a guy like me who has played either Gibsons or Fenders for decades, the Gretsch sound was a nice departure.

Attached Files:

2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Gretsch 6117T-HT, from the Terada factory in 2006, but with high sensitive filtertrons instead of the stock hilotrons and and a B6 bigsby instead of the stock B6C.

Really versatile. My only complaint is that I wish it had a beefier neck.

3. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yup, that's the Gretsch I have. Great guitar, and I love the green and gold combination.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like my 6120 1959LTV.

I play rockabilly on it (and on my Teles, Gibsons, etc.).

The Gretsch is quite versatile. A brightly voiced jazzbox.

That green/gold is gorgeous. Cadillac Green?

[​IMG]

5. ringodingo

ringodingo Tele-Holic

I admire all Gretsches. Always a classy guitar.
    Are they lighter than most Teles?

6. moosie

Mine's 7.65 lbs, which is a bit heavier than my Teles, but not much.

Maple laminate is heavier than it looks, and the '59 model has trestle bracing, which is fairly beefy under the bridge area. Still hollow though.

Don't forget the Bigsby weighs over 3/4 lb I think.

7. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Bought a 6019 around 10 years ago. Big, if your are playing a tele, but good looking and very versatile. Bridge pick-up is superb for Rock and rockabilly and the neck pic-up is perfect for jazz, smooth blues. I was looking to buy the Classic orange 6019 at the time, but fell in love with the Tennessee Rose. It has a longer neck scale than the 6020 and a little more twang with the bridge pick-up. I never look et back...

8. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Yes indeedy. This was a used Country Club for $2400 CAD. In pretty good shape, but out of my price range ATM.

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Moosie that is a gorgeous guitar.

10. BGlinks

BGlinks TDPRI Member

I've got a 5120 that is about 10 years old. It has held up well, and has a great "full" sound. Which is exactly what I was looking for, to contrast with the solid body, more crisp, or bright sound. I'm no expert, and haven't changed anything on it, but I like it. Even the clear orange finish is starting to grow on me.

11. Seitz38

Seitz38 TDPRI Member

Thanks for reminding me I want a Double Jet.

12. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah, just wait a little bit, and you can find Gretsches in stellar condition all day for $1,800 - $1,900 tops.

I never paid more than that for any of my Gretsches (Cadillac green Country Club and White Falcon).

They are a bit overpriced new, but it's very easy to find used ones at decent prices.

13. moosie

Thanks! So this is why you've been thinning the herd? :D

Overall price depends a bit on the specs (and not everyone cares about some of those specs). Even in the higher end Japan-made models, the nitro finished are more expensive than the poly. And may or may not come with other features you want...

Mine's lacquer (of course, see my sig), and I wanted this over the Setzer lacquer because of the pickups (TV Classics) and the open back Grover Sta-Tites as opposed to sealed lockers which I can't stand. I can always buy a pair of dice knobs ;)

The 1959LTV streets at $3300 I believe. I bought mine two years old, near mint, with the pickups swapped out (but originals included in the case). There's only one minor scratch on the guitar, near the bridge / Bigsby area. I noticed it during initial inspection, and that was it. I've never noticed it since then. I put the original pickups back in, and sold off the Gretsch HS Filtertrons I pulled out of it for $100. Net price including the pickup sale was $2050.

I would expect these to sell around $2200 lightly used, whereas the (very nice) poly finished Japan-made go for $2600 new if I recall, and lightly used can be found in the $1600-1900 range.

14. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

I have owned 2 Gretsch guitars. Both Electromatic's. My first, an orange 5120 was beautiful, but it really sang in the hands of a band mate so I sold it to him. The other is a black 5235T (Pro Jet w/Bigsby) and I absolutely love it. Both had the fit and finish of a much more expensive guitar. I ended up replacing the pickups with GFS NYIIs and love love love the sounds I get from it.

My skill level can't really justify a $2K+ guitar, but with the Gretsch Electromatics I don't know how much better a pro-line could actually be.

I'd really like to have a Corvette.

15. 13ontheB

13ontheB Tele-Afflicted

What gauge flatwound?

16. ndcaster

Anybody put a Compton bridge on these things? I'm thinking of switching in a copper or brass one for jazz gigs, if it's worth it. Anybody experiment, or do you love em as is?

17. 6stringcowboy

I've got a TruArc stainless steel on mine, and can not recommend more highly.

18. moosie

My bridge is unpinned rosewood, with the stock vintage style "rocking bar". In theory it begs to be upgraded, but it hasn't given me any trouble.

Those who have, or would, change your bridge, why? What are you looking to solve? What am I potentially missing?

If I used that logic, I'm not sure I'd be allowed to own any guitars. Good thing I don't! :D

19. ndcaster

I guess I just can't leave well enough alone. Switching pickups on a Gretsch is work. Switching a bridge isn't. I'd probably get more tonal change for the buck by switching speakers, but this is a guitar thread. I do love the double annie, so why not have some way of playing around with it?

20. 6stringcowboy

My Pro Jet had the usual AOM bridge. Nothing horribly wrong with it but it rattled a bit and the TruArc™ seemed to offer not only a radius that matched the fret board but perhaps a bit more sustain? I got in when Tim was first getting started with the whole manufacturing process and he was/is a pleasure to work with in getting just what you want/need.

The Pro Jet needs a lower bridge due to the type of Bigsby it has and I got what he calls a "Low Rider" in stainless steel.

I've never done a mod to a guitar (and yeah, I've done a few) that was more impactful than the TruArc™. Note separation, harmonics, sustain, and a hard to describe smoothness to the tone. The aesthetic value is a bonus. Some (typically those who haven't played one) have asked, "how can you intonate a bar bridge. I can only say that to my ear, it's fine. Granted I haven't strobed it but most who have claim that if off at all, it's only 1 or 2 cents off at most. Yes some must have 100% perfect intonation and I understand that Tim now has a Serpentune™ compensated version that eliminates any intonation problems. PM me or email Tim from the site link in my first post if you need any further information about these bridges.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.